Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-08-2018, 04:58 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Harper Woods , Michigan
we landed on our keisters

When the 95 Excella arrived last September, I opened the awnings and gave them a good hosing down and lubricated the mechanical end joints.

Today I wanted to extend the awning, and I reviewed the ZipDee video about the procedure, with particular attention to pulling away to the side instead of downwards. I tied a rope to the center loop and the we tugged away from about 20-30 feet.

My manly frame weighs ~240lb and the Lady Wife is significantly lighter. But the awning didn't unroll, and the loop tab suddenly gave way, and the two of us fell on our keisters, without significant injury other than to our fragile dignity.

So what do we do now? How do I unroll the awning?
Bob Blarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 05:08 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Sound like the roller may have been locked. Check the video for a z-lock. Newer awnings have a travel latch.

Once you have resolved that issue you will have to unroll the awning manually. Two people, one at each arm on a step stool pulling and turning the roller. Tat should get the awning deployed.

You can order replacement straps from ZipDee, a couple of drilled holes and a few rivets and you should be back in business.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 08:25 PM   #3
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Not sure if the ‘95 has this but there’s a toggle switch just inside the door that unlocks the awning. I hope this doesn’t sound tooo dumb, but does your awning have a manual lock a the top? My street side awnings have a little manual wheel lock device...i’m Sure you did unlock it, just trying to be helpful and supportive. Glad you were hurt but I bet it surprised the heck out of you.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2018, 09:49 PM   #4
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I have a 95. It has a Z lock travel lock that you have to unlock.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2018, 08:22 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Harper Woods , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster View Post
Sound like the roller may have been locked. Check the video for a z-lock. Newer awnings have a travel latch.

Once you have resolved that issue you will have to unroll the awning manually. Two people, one at each arm on a step stool pulling and turning the roller. Tat should get the awning deployed.

You can order replacement straps from ZipDee, a couple of drilled holes and a few rivets and you should be back in business.
Thanks all.

There is a Z-lock - perhaps it wasn't fully. engaged when I opened the awning last September.

By the way, there is no Z-lock in the video - there is a travel latch towards the rear of the trailer.
Bob Blarney is offline   Reply With Quote