Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-20-2009, 08:12 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Austin , Texas
Want New Retro Look Awning

The Carefree awning on my 1973 31ft Sovereign is shot. I was hoping to get an economical replacement fabric in a simular vertical stripe blue and white retro look or at least a solid vinyl in Airstream blue. Carefree no longer makes the vertical strips in vinyl or even a solid color in vinyl. Any ideas on a reasonally priced replacement. It looks like they offer a acrylic with alumguard for around $500, would that work? Does anyone know of a better or cheaper option that would work on my old Carefree hardware and still allow me to keep the retro look. I really don't care for the wave, fade, and horizonal stripe patterns of the modern awnings.
Thanks
AustinAir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2009, 08:20 PM   #2
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
Zip dee

Thats a no brainer, Change out to zip dee awning, the real AS awning.
Buy used roller from salvage yard, make your own fabric from sunbrella.

If you really must, simply make new awning material for your Care free with sunbrella, choice of many colors and patterns and is great stuff.
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 05:59 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 28' International
Currently Looking...
New Orleans , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by AustinAir View Post
The Carefree awning on my 1973 31ft Sovereign is shot. I was hoping to get an economical replacement fabric in a simular vertical stripe blue and white retro look or at least a solid vinyl in Airstream blue. Carefree no longer makes the vertical strips in vinyl or even a solid color in vinyl. Any ideas on a reasonally priced replacement. It looks like they offer a acrylic with alumguard for around $500, would that work? Does anyone know of a better or cheaper option that would work on my old Carefree hardware and still allow me to keep the retro look. I really don't care for the wave, fade, and horizonal stripe patterns of the modern awnings.
Thanks
Go with sunbrella or it clone. Go here for material and samples.
Upholstery Supply & Marine Fabric Superstore

Give them a call, the clone sunbrella they sell is great I use it on my boat.

If you want to go real cheap look for a bag awning on ebay.
1968 Globetrotter Sold
2011 F150 Ecoboost
Jim Clark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 06:25 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1993 34' Limited
Melbourne Florida , Springfield Ohio
The response is right - go to Zip Dee - you have options.
willyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 08:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
look here

American Adventure Pre-Owned & Obsolete Store
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 10:27 AM   #6

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Thanks

I purchased an acrylic awning with alumaguard from www.rvawningsonline.com They offer a wide selction of fabric and vinyl colors. May be worth looking at.

The price with shipping was just under $500.

Good Luck,

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2009, 11:12 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Jonesboro , Georgia
Vertical Striped Sunbrella Fabric

Disney Sunbrella Marine 4" Stripes of Blue and Greyish White 50 yards of 46" fabric up for bid on ebay right now. Good Luck.
Kristi Foster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 01:50 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Austin , Texas
Called RV Awnings Online

Kevin
I just called rvawnings online after looking at their web site I really like the acrylic sunbrella fabrics they have. They said I could not use the Alumaguard on my old Carefree curved awning arms and she thought they could do acrylic with weatherguard and would call me back tommorow.
Kevin245 that type awning do you have ? Is it the carefree with the curved arms? I hope this works out because I really like some of the fabrics they use and I am not up to starting from scratch with just the fabric and then finding someone to cut and sew the awning
Old 01-22-2009, 03:22 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1974 31' Sovereign
1956 26' Cruiser Overlander
1970 23' Safari
Lambertville , Michigan
I special ordered a replacement awning for my Carefree arms 2 years ago. I started with the Carefree of Colorado website and looked for local dealers. From there I just called around till I found someone to go the extra mile to help me. Most RV dealers only want to sell you what the can get out of the catalog. The lady helping you has got her info wrong. The alumaguard is definately available with the acrylics. That is what i have. It cost me $471. I stuck with Carefree because I had a Carefree screen room that came with the trailer that I wanted to be able to use.
Rhonda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 04:24 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Spring Hill , Florida
Before investing in new awning material for your Carefree, be advised that Carefree no longer makes the AS hardware. Our arms were damaged in a recent storm so, we bit the bullet and got a Zip Dee with the classic AS pattern.
mapley3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2009, 05:20 PM   #11

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Kevin
I just called rvawnings online after looking at their web site I really like the acrylic sunbrella fabrics they have. They said I could not use the Alumaguard on my old Carefree curved awning arms and she thought they could do acrylic with weatherguard and would call me back tommorow.
Kevin245 that type awning do you have ? Is it the carefree with the curved arms? I hope this works out because I really like some of the fabrics they use and I am not up to starting from scratch with just the fabric and then finding someone to cut and sew the awning

Andy,

I PM'd you earlier today.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Old 01-22-2009, 05:41 PM   #12

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Wink

Quote:
Kevin
Hummmm....Maybe we don't know it's not supposed to work???
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LeftSide.jpg
Views:	224
Size:	86.6 KB
ID:	74377  

William C. Swinney

Old 01-22-2009, 09:30 PM   #13
3 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
You might try a local awning shop? I used the sunbrella website to find a local dealer then started calling around for the first helpful shop I wanted to visit. They estimated they could sew up a replacement 8' awning for $400 to match an original. Plus you get to spread out their fabric swatches without having to choose from a website!
r&kweber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2009, 01:25 PM   #14
2 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
Austin , Texas
Carefree Awning Fabric Replacement

Just spoke with Rhonda the tech at Carefree. She told me she did not recommend the Alumaguard for the Carefree curved arms because it now has a raingutter and will not close fully to cover all the fabric. She said the older alumaguard did not have the raingutter and will work with curved arms. The new will work but leaves about 6in fabric exposed. She expressed concern out spending the money for new fabric because they no longer make parts for our 1st generation (the first retractable awnings they made) Carefree curved arm awnings. The only parts available are end caps, and if spring or other hardware fails I am out of luck. She recommended if replaced to cut old endcaps off and bevel new to fit. Do not unwind springs. She told me I could get Acrylic fabric with weatherguard but there would be $100 extra charge because they have to set up special factory run. I am going to have a guy that I use for mobile rv repair come by and look at my hardware and see what I should do.
Does anyone know locations to look for used ZipDee awnings if we decide that I need to replace the whole thing.
Old 01-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

1959 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Seattle , Washington
You might watch craigslist or ebay for used zip dee's I've seen them on Craigslist a few times. If you're up for a project, I think you could cut a longer tube down to fit your trailer (though it doesn't get much longer than yours ). Or purchase a new tube from Zip-Dee to attach to second hand hardware. We bought a new one from Lewster (forums member) and were very happy with his expert knowledge.
r&kweber is offline   Reply With Quote