Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-11-2003, 12:58 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Question Vintage Looking Awnings...

Okay, here's one for all you vintage folks...our GlobeTrotter doesn't have an awning, never did. Because our door swings to the right, if we used a ZipDee or other "traditional" awning with arms, the door would only open 90-degrees instead of flat (180-degrees) to the body. I hate that! I have seen vintage trailers both Airstream & SOBs that have more of a post & pole awning (like the RL Trailers), but I've also seen some that are "way retro cool" ~ you know the kind with the scalloped edge & fringe? I've seen them both with & without guy wires & stakes...I would prefer without, less pieces to haul around, set-up & risk losing. I believe this type awning slides into the rail above the door and can be removed when traveling.

Okay...here are my questions...who makes these??? Anybody have one here that can share pros & cons? I want to get an idea of the price for budgeting purposes now that we see the end of our polishing in sight...I'd rather not have to re-invent the wheel if someone knows where I could find one.

I'm open to other suggestions....it just can't have arms that would impede the door!

Shari
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 01:19 PM   #2
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
Shari,

I saw these in a camping world ad I just got yesterday.

I was thinking it may work out nice for me. Looks like it just slides on the awning rail and is rolled up and stored on the trailer during travel.

What do you and others think of putting one of these on an AS?

Trim Line Awning
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 01:40 PM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Shari,

I was reading somewhere that someone had awnings made like you describe by a local awning comany for a reasonable amount. They can do the scalloped edges, and may be able to give you a design that would preclude ropes and stakes. I understand why the door opens the way it does, they wanted to not block the windows, but it does make current awnings a pain.

One other option is to have the awning not cover the door, have it start further back??? I would check with an expert though before ordering a 6 foot Zipdee
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 01:48 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Tim ~ Close...we saw those too...just not "retro" enough for my tastes...I thought of buying that frame & making the awning part...also, those are made of a vinyl "fabric" instead of canvas...seems like they would hold in the heat to me.

Brett ~ We thought of that too...but a 6' ZipDee is hardly worth the effort or expense...I don't think the shade patch (postage stamp?) would even be useable...

We will go the "custom" route if we don't find a company that has done them like this before....but I gotta think someone's "out there"

Shari
Old 07-11-2003, 01:50 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan
Try Canvas Replacements (I think it's www.canvasreplacements.com) We just ordered a post and rope awning from there and they are very nice and easy to deal with. They do custom work and have a variety of different colors to choose from. Also seem to be resonably priced.

We would have preferred going without ropes and stakes, but with a 20 foot awning, can't really be avoided!
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Z71 w3.73
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 01:55 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Wow Jason! Your awning is longer than our whole trailer! Have you received it yet? Do they use the Sunbrella fabrics like ZipDee? Post pictures when you can...I'd love to see it!

Shari
Old 07-11-2003, 02:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
The other thing we are considering is...adding snaps to our window frames and having "mini-awnings" that snap on so when the windows are out, they too have their own awnings...with scallops & fringe, of course!.

Shari
Old 07-11-2003, 02:03 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Shari

From my view you had three choices - zip dee type, trim line or custom canvas.

I had zip dee when I had a trailer just like yours on both sides, front and rear - you can see, or probably have seen my old Globetrotter in the vintage airstream archives. That trailer had this neat rod that attached to the door hold back latch that allowed the screen to be open and you could still open and close the door - hard to explain, I would probably need to show you, but it did work well and the zips dees were very nice.

I had the trim line on the Traveler and it was self supporting with ropes that I would attach to milk cartons filled with water. Only problem is the "bag" scratched the fininsh + did not look very vintage

The third option is the coolest, but the most hassle - canvas that you have to thread threw the awning rail each time you use it, poles, ropes etc. Over the years those who have had such a set up did not feel it was very convient. Course you could also have a canvas awing that rolls up and kept in place with ties. I've got a couple of old old pictures from back in the 50's if you want to go this route

Actually there is a fourth option, which is what you have now - a ez-up type shelter.

I really liked the zip dee on my globetrotter with the pole thingy

Ken J - currently awningless.......
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 02:18 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
I actually DO know what you are talking about Ken!

Quote:
That trailer had this neat rod that attached to the door hold back latch that allowed the screen to be open and you could still open and close the door - hard to explain, I would probably need to show you, but it did work well and the zips dees were very nice.
We have friends that have a ZipDee with one of those on their '63 GlobeTrotter. You still can't open the door past 90-degrees though...can you?

I'm wanting the maximum "cool" quotient I can get! Looks like we'll be doing the "custom" thing...would LOVE to see your 50's awning pictures for ideas.

Shari
Old 07-11-2003, 03:14 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Durango , Colorado
Shari

No you can't open past 90 degrees, however was not a problem because you open then close the door getting into the trailer. The screen just stays open all the time at 90 degrees.

I understand cool is very important - guys know how important that is...... anyway when I get home tonight I'll send you what I have.

I think if I were to do the custom way I would have a canvas shop make the awnings with reinforced holes along the awning rail so I could roll it up tight and put some heavy duty straps to tie the roll against the trailer. I looked at a 57 couple years ago (that I'm still kicking myself for - orginal owner, unused since 1966) and there were tubes under that trailer that held the awing and poles.

Ken J.
Ken J is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 04:27 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
No hurry Ken...we aren't looking to do this until a "winter project" is needed. We want to have it next spring ~

But we're sure going to be checking out everybody's awnings at the VAC Rally this year!

Shari
Old 07-11-2003, 04:45 PM   #12
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Vintage Looking Awnings...

Greetings Shari!

You might try posting your question to the VAC list if you haven't already. Monitor Scott and his wife Lise, have a beautiful pole-type awning on their '60 Overlander that is scallopped and made of Sunbrella fabric of the same pattern used on many Airstream awnings by ZipDee. If my memory serves correct, their awning was made by a local awning company near Cleveland, OH. They also have some very creative "window awnings" that Lise designed and stiched from the same fabric - - their coach won an award for "innovative feature" at, I believe, the Sioux Falls, SD International Rally.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 06:05 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Thumbs up VAC List...

Good idea Kevin...done!

Shari
Old 07-11-2003, 09:27 PM   #14
4 Rivet Member

1955 30' Liner Commodore Vanderbilt
Wayne County , Michigan
Canvas Replacements does offer the Sunbrella Fabrics. We just ordered it, should have it by the end of the month. We ordered the valances on all three sides, not sure if they do the fringe. Might be worth calling and asking. This was much more affordable for us than a Zip Dee.
"Hawley"
TAC Member MI-6
2008 Chevy Silverado Ext. Z71 w3.73
Jabba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2003, 10:11 PM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Thanks Jason! I'm anxious to see yours, probably not as anxious as you are though

Please post pictures when you can. I'll give Canvas Replacements a call when I get a chance...like I said, we are still aways out...just starting research...good lead though!

Shari
Old 07-11-2003, 11:00 PM   #16
a.k.a. Ambassador Tim

1960 28' Ambassador
Northern , California
I understand the awnings attach to the awning rail on the trailer by a bead or rope sewn into the awning fabric.

How do you know the correct size of the bead needed for a given trailer?
Check out my book: Restoring a Dream
Check out my Airstream book for kids!: Airstream Adventures
theVAP - Airstream Podcast
Safari Tim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 07:59 AM   #17
Airstream Driver

1994 30' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
Austin , Texas
The rubber ropes used to hold window screens in place could be a good alternative. It comes in different sizes, too. Just a thought...
AIR #13
PeterH-350LE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 09:55 PM   #18

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Shari, please let us know what you find out. I would like to do the same thing to our trailer, it's just not on the to-do list until probably NEXT winter. But I am eager to find out how you do. My trailer already has the awning rail, so I figure I'm half-way there.

I just returned from spending a day at a rally where I was next to a 1958 AS about the same length as ours. The owners, who had just bought it after sitting unused for many years, told me theirs had a tube underneith with what they assumed was the original orange striped pole awning, complete with fringe! Too bad it was too windy to set it up (it was REALLY windy), I would have liked to see that.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2003, 10:41 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Bummer Stephanie! Do you know who they were to get them to send a picture of it set-up? I'm in the "collecting photos" phase...like before I did our dinette, I just want to see all the options out there...then decide what to do.

BTW we have the awning rail too...just no awning. No worries, I'll post photos of ours once I make a purchase. I try to keep our website up to date on our projects too...

If anybody sees one of these "ol' time" awnings at a rally (or where ever) even if it's on a SOB, I'd like to have a picture...THX!

Shari
Old 07-13-2003, 08:58 AM   #20

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
I just know their names were Art and Kathy, and they are in Klamath Falls, Oregon. I think they were VAC members, and she said she's active online, but I don't think she knew about this forum (I told her about it, of course). So maybe you can get a hold of them on the VAC list. Cute little Bambi/Bubble, whatever they called them in '58. Almost everything was still original. They got a real gem :-)

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote