Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-01-2007, 04:26 PM   #141
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
How do they do with rain?
We've been caught in several rain storms...we dip a corner or peak the center so it can drain. You have to dip a corner on a Zip Dee too. Of course, if you know it's coming...that's one thing, if it sneaks up on you that's another. We try to take our awning down if we are going to be away for awhile and it might rain.
Quote:
Is the door blocked by the awning?
No, not at all.
Quote:
Do they do ok with the wind?
Depends on how strong...no awning should be left up in micro-burst type wind storms. I saw several Zip Dees thrown over the trailer and ripped off the rail at the Springfield MO International Rally. Major damage to the awning, the "donor trailer" and several adjacent trailers. At least with a pole-style awning, there isn't a frame involved. Again if you are going to be away, stow your awning if there is any chance of a windstorm. Gentle breeze...no problem.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:19 AM   #142
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Add awning rails to connect the window awnings?

In trying to figure out how to attach the individual awning windows, Tonya at TCT&A tossed out the idea of mounting awning railings for each window. I sorta like this idea more than snaps which wont work with corning windows anyway. It would be more secure and be more functional in the rain as it would prevent water from getting between the awning and window. Can anyone see why this is a bad idea?

Also, does anyone have a sketch of how the awning flaps where the bottoms of the windows attach work? I would like to have this before I order just to make sure all parties have the same idea in mind.....

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 11:50 AM   #143
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
In trying to figure out how to attach the individual awning windows, Tonya at TCT&A tossed out the idea of mounting awning railings for each window.
<snip>
Can anyone see why this is a bad idea?
Glad to hear you called Tonya...she's great! I think that is a wonderful idea...I can't imagine why it wouldn't work! Hmmm...the only thing would be that the bottom corner pockets might have to be elastic, velcro or something different than mine, because if the top is in the rail, you couldn't get the pockets on the bottom of the windows...make sense? Read on...

Quote:
Also, does anyone have a sketch of how the awning flaps where the bottoms of the windows attach work? I would like to have this before I order just to make sure all parties have the same idea in mind.....
Not a sketch...but pictures of mine that I made:

Window Awning details

Like I said above, yours if you do the rail would have to be a little different. I put the corners on first then snap the top, you would be loading the top first then attaching the bottom. Regardless, I still think the rails would work really well.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2007, 12:00 PM   #144
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut

Not a sketch...but pictures of mine that I made:

Window Awning details

Like I said above, yours if you do the rail would have to be a little different. I put the corners on first then snap the top, you would be loading the top first then attaching the bottom. Regardless, I still think the rails would work really well.

Shari
BRAVO! PERFECT. Exactly what I needed! My only final qualm about this is if it might be better to figure out some sort of rigging that would hold the awnings independent of the window. This would take weight off the windows (which I worry about with the cornings) and would allow the awnings to be out on rainy days when I also wanted the windows closed. Has anyone thought this through before? In any case I am 99.5% sure I am going vintage, custom made by TCT&A. They have been great to this point.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote