Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-24-2009, 09:21 PM   #1

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Vintage Carefree Renewal

I have another old Carefree awning that is still in good shape except for the spring assemblies. The shafts are corroded, the nylon sleeves are worn through, and the caps are shot. I have did find some replacement caps, but have had no success finding other NOS, or replacement parts to repair them with. I'm not sure that I could get them apart without destroying them anyway.

That being said, I'm taking the restoration hat off and slipping on the Mad Inventor's Cap to retrofit new spring cans into the old Carefree awning. The new springs set for this modification came from an AE donor awning.

To begin with:

The primary difference between new and old is the stationary shaft diameter on the old set is relatively small in comparison with the new set.

The other difference is on the finger ends that fit inside the roll tube. The new set uses a tri-finger configuration that is slightly larger in diameter than the straight finger setup on the old set.

Over the next few weeks I will try to document the conversion from old to new spring sets.

Regards,

Kevin
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo 3.JPG
Views:	841
Size:	449.4 KB
ID:	84436   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0041.JPG
Views:	358
Size:	436.8 KB
ID:	84439  

Name:	Photo 4.JPG
Views:	278
Size:	443.0 KB
ID:	84443  

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2009, 10:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
be careful

Make sure that you end up with the same number of thumbs after the swap as before. Those springs are dangerous.
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 04:27 AM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
Make sure that you end up with the same number of thumbs after the swap as before. Those springs are dangerous.
Oh yes they are. I've seen the damage to personnel and property thay are capable of. I have plenty of experience working with awning and roll up door torsion springs, and a healthy dose of respect for them. They can be very very dangerous.

This conversion is different than the previous one so I'm working as I go. I work in engineering and metals so I stop if I don't get the numbers and anticipated results.

Thanks for the reminder.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Old 07-25-2009, 06:50 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I have a couple of 70s awnings. Anybody interested send me a PM
Old 07-25-2009, 07:27 AM   #5

1970 23' Safari
dolores , Colorado
Hi,
I own a 1970 23' Safari and have been looking for an old style awning. Do you know if they can be cut down to the right size?
Mike in Dolores
hel1590 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2009, 07:31 AM   #6

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hel1590 View Post
Hi,
I own a 1970 23' Safari and have been looking for an old style awning. Do you know if they can be cut down to the right size?
Mike in Dolores

The roll tubes can be cut to length if you find one that is too long.

William C. Swinney

Old 10-22-2009, 09:58 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Carefree Awning

Is it worth it to put new fabric on an old (72) carefree? and also repair the springs?
RichHog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2009, 08:07 AM   #8

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Wow...I forgot about this thread. Been too busy camping and such.

I wanted to keep the old curved arms, so replacing the fabric was an easy decision. Spring repair is a different matter, as I have not been able to locate”off-the-shelf” replacements. If your springs are in good shape you should be able to re-use them. The plastic end caps can be replaced but fitting the new ones over the shaft collar can a bit of a challenge. Replacement end caps are available at www.odmrv.com. I picked up a couple several weeks ago.

If your springs are broken then you may be forced to improvise unless you stumble on some old springs that are still serviceable.

I’ve also modified and old set using modern A&E spring sets from a salvaged awning. It wasn’t very difficult, but it did involve some machine shop work. The big difference is in the spring shaft. Most modern spring sets use an aluminum pipe shaft which is larger in diameter than the original Carefree's which used a solid shaft configuration. I did not document the first set, which I should have. I have another set that I plan to modify and I ordered the parts a couple of months ago, but we’ve been busy camping and traveling on the weekends so everything has been sitting on the part shelf in the garage.

Regards,

Kevin

William C. Swinney

Old 10-25-2009, 07:48 AM   #9
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Carefree awning

The springs still work kindof and aren't broken just old and help somewhat but mostly I roll it up by hand on a ladder. Can the spring but be rolled up another turn of 2 to give it more rolling power? My other problem is the hooks on the arms that lock the awning in place are broken so theres not a way to keep it from flapping up in the wind, short of tying it down to the ground with string and a rock
Old 10-25-2009, 06:07 PM   #10

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
The springs still work kindof and aren't broken just old and help somewhat but mostly I roll it up by hand on a ladder. Can the spring but be rolled up another turn of 2 to give it more rolling power? My other problem is the hooks on the arms that lock the awning in place are broken so theres not a way to keep it from flapping up in the wind, short of tying it down to the ground with string and a rock
If your awning needs assistance to rollup your springs may be tired, or under tensioned. You can increase the spring tension by adding a turn or two to the set but if they are tired it may, or may not help.

If your awning is a 15' awning, your springs should have 5 wind turns each.

DISCLAIMER!!! I would caution you to use extreme care when working with torsion springs if you're not trained, or experienced with them. The stored energy can be very dangerous.

What hooks on the arms are you referring to? Can you clarify?

Here is a copy of the Carefree Installation Instructions and Owner's Manual for your use.

Regards,

Kevin
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Carefree.pdf (546.6 KB, 494 views)

William C. Swinney

Old 10-26-2009, 04:18 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Carefree awning

Once the carefree awning rolls out there are brace bars that keep the awning from flying up under windy conditions like a sail. At the end of these bars there was a hook that catches on the roller to lock it in place so it doesn't fly up. Both of my hooks (they are a black metal) are broken off. Another thing is that the arms them self don't seem to be long enough to extend for the hooks to latch, once the awning is fully extended. There are two rectangular arms, one slides in the other and they extend outwards, except it seems that they should be about a foot longer. Since I haven't had this brace working on the last few trips a storms have caused the awning to flap causing damage to the edge where it attaches to the trailer. A few pics would explain this and would try to take some soon.
Old 10-26-2009, 07:57 PM   #12

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
It sounds like yours is, or is similar to a A&E Universal 9000, 8500, or 8000 series. Does your have two sets of curved arms on the front and on the back?

The main arm hinges on the bottom, and the other (with the sliding bars) hinges on the top?

There is a slide assembly that fits in the top arm, and there is the catch that fits in the top of the main arm. They are available on ebay.

Do they look something like these?

A&E Awning Slider Catch Kit Replacement Pkg. 830472P002:eBay Motors (item 140352441913 end time Nov-13-09 13:23:06 PST)

SLIDER ASSEMBLY FOR DOMETIC A&E AWNING INNER ARM SLIDER:eBay Motors (item 360073040004 end time Nov-14-09 05:54:54 PST)

Regards,

Kevin

William C. Swinney

Old 10-27-2009, 10:32 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Carefree awning Hook

Here's a pic of the broken hook and the arm (It's the inner arm that slides out with the hook.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0921_2.jpg
Views:	212
Size:	168.1 KB
ID:	89853   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0919_2.jpg
Views:	184
Size:	180.3 KB
ID:	89854  

Old 10-28-2009, 03:50 AM   #14

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by RichHog View Post
Here's a pic of the broken hook and the arm (It's the inner arm that slides out with the hook.

I will look at mine when I get back in this afternoon and PM you this evening.

Any visiable identification labeling on your arms?

Regards,

Kevin

William C. Swinney

Old 10-28-2009, 07:35 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
carefree awning Arms

It is labeled Carefree somewhere, maybe the front arm, or maybe it's the fabric. Here is a pic of the Awning on my last trip You can notice that the brace arm is down in the back and hidden in the front. The pic of the broken hook is what is supposed to latch it in place keeping it from flying up in the wind. The curved arms are fine it's the cross arms where I have problems. Back side tiltded down intentionally due to rain in Branson.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0815.jpg
Views:	290
Size:	122.8 KB
ID:	89892  
Old 10-28-2009, 09:31 PM   #16
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
Carefree awning Arms

Here is a better photo from the side you can see the arms are against the trailer not bracing the curved arms.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0814.jpg
Views:	268
Size:	336.3 KB
ID:	89901  
Old 10-28-2009, 09:38 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
1972 23' Safari
Houston , Texas
carefree awning Arms

Closeup of the release
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSC_0922.jpg
Views:	238
Size:	165.6 KB
ID:	89904  
Old 10-29-2009, 07:34 AM   #18

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Hey Richhog,

Judging from your photographs I'd say your awning is much newer than anything I have with curved arms (Makes me feel kinda Old...Oops I mean Vintage right now ).

I spent some time looking through the Carefree site diagrams last night and did not fine anything like yours in their current, or discontinued model line.

I was able to find a Brace Hook reference for Carefree's Sunfree model awning on PPL 's website. In their online parts catalog there is a sketch there that looks similar to the partial hook picture you posted last night, but I am not certain it's an exact match.

You may want to give them a call, or go by if they are close to you.

www.pplmotorhomes.com

I tried to post a link to the actual page, but it comes up as an invalid link.

Look under the parts tab for Carefree Awnings, Sunfree Model. There is a tab at the top of the parts list that will open up a diagram sheet.

Maybe someone else here has the same model you have and can offer some insight.

Hope this helps.

Kevin

William C. Swinney

Old 10-29-2009, 07:47 AM   #19
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
All thumbs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody Ranch View Post
You mean like this?[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/MARSHA%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.png[/IMG]

http://www.airforums.com/forums/atta...1&d=1241971561

[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/MARSHA%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot.png[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/MARSHA%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.png[/IMG]
Old 10-29-2009, 08:00 AM   #20

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
[QUOTE=Lumatic;

[URL]http://www.airforums.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=79990&stc=1&thumb=1&d= 1241971561[/URL]

Yes...Just like that. OUCH!!!

Do you think those fan-dangled shiney ear wax catchers of yours could be used as thumb protectors when needed?

If so I will take a set.

William C. Swinney