Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-01-2010, 09:35 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 21' Globetrotter
Pagosa Springs , Colorado
Question Vintage Awning Replacement

I am sewing up a Sunbrella replacement awning for our 70 Globetrotter. I have the thread,fabric, poles ropes and grommets. My question is do I need to sew in a VINYL BEAD WELT at the top for it to slide into the track or can I use a substitute of drip irrigation line like a friend suggested? Also the Sunbrella Fabric comes in 46" wide. I planned to sew the fabric long-ways (from the coach out) using sailmakers thread. Is this correct?

Thanks,

gnmostream
gnmostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 09:58 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
You can see how I repaired an edge using 5/32" tubing. This might give you an idea of what you can use.

There is a company that makes vintage awnings that uses an extruded plastic edge--it's about 1" wide with a formed rod along one edge. You just sew it to your fabric. It's a neat solution because you don't have to sew a fabric tube for a rod/tubing to fit into. I wish I knew where to get it.

Zep
Old 03-01-2010, 11:05 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
I finally found a source for the vinyl beaded welt needed to fit the track.
Check out Upholstery Supply & Marine Fabric Superstore
They have the welt and various materials and fabrics.
The welt is much cheaper if you order 100 feet, but I haven't found enough places to use that much yet. I plan to make my order soon so I can get awnings made by this spring for my Safari and my Boles.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2010, 11:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1973 23' Safari
1977 23' Safari
2018 25' Flying Cloud
Palmer Lake , Colorado
Send a message via Skype™ to Zeppelinium
welt. ah, so.

Thanks.

Zep
Old 03-02-2010, 04:54 AM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1953 17' Clipper
Mendon , Vermont
If you use a fabric pocket with welt or tubing or rope (like they used to use), you will probably regret it! The "sew on", either plastic or nylon welting (not sure if that is the proper term), works much better. It SLIDES smoothly, and doesn't degrade as fast as the canvas does. Particularly with a large, heavy lining, this makes a HUGE difference!

The awning for my small trailer has a fabric pocket, but because of its' tiny size it isn't hard to thread it through.

My large trailer awning is very heavy and cumbersome, and I can't imagine having to work through the awning rail with anything but the "welting" that is made for this purpose. You will also find that keeping a can of silicone spray available to lubricate the rail once in a while will make it much easier.

I also sewed a LOOP to both ends of the awning, so I can run a rope through it. When trying to set up the awning by yourself, this makes the process go much more smoothly. It also eliminates the need for two step ladders if two short people are setting up the awning by themselves!! I had planned to also affix a small pulley to run the rope through, but I just haven't thought to do it until I'm already at the campgrounds and ready to set up the awning!!

It sounds like you have found some sources already for the welting. I know that there were two choices when I ordered mine, and can look up the source if you need it.
pinktrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2010, 11:04 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1961 22' Safari
Union , Oregon
pinktrailer--
Since I haven't made my order yet, I'd like to take you up on your offer for an additional source(s) for the vinyl beaded welt. A little competition in this world is always a good thing and I am sure there are others here that would benefit from your information.
I think I will also take your advice on the LOOP for ease of installation.
Maybe that mysterious stick with the loop on it that we all heard about is just the thing for awning set-up?
Thank you.
Sam
samb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:52 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1953 17' Clipper
Mendon , Vermont
Sam---I'll check my receipts to find cost, source, etc. Will get back to you, but it might take me a day or two. Never thought of a "stick" with a hook, but what a good idea......no pulley would be needed. Maybe I will affix a hook to one of my flagpoles. I travel alot by myself, and that would probably help.

I also put velcro pieces at different points across the underside of the top (along the welt), so I could run a cord through them for awning lights.

I have velcro all along the inside of the valence for mosquito netting, but I have never had to use it.
pinktrailer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2010, 04:58 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Be careful in sewing the sleeve for the roller. Mine was ripped and I had it resewn. It was just a little off and made a difference in how the awning rolls up.