Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2023, 09:18 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2015 30' International
Escondido , CA
Traveling with broken powered awning

Streamers,

Of course your Zip Dee Relax awning fails on the Friday night before Labor Day weekend. Thankfully the awning arms were down when it failed, so all I had to do was pull off the pressurized support arms and find a 1/4 20 bolt to use in stead of the winding emergency tool (I never received from the previous owner) on my pre 2016 Zip Dee powered awning. With the awning rolled tight to the Airstream, the next step was to figure out how to travel with the fully extended support arms. I realized that if I removed the connector from the trailer and connected them to the support arms, I could compress the poles and tie them down with rip cord. Then it dawned on me that would be a great technique to use for reinstalling the support arms when I got to that point in the repair. Then is dawned on me, wouldn't it be more likely that the awning wouldn't extend during travel if I reinstalled the tied down and compressed support arms.

What am I not thinking of here, it would be very simple to remove them and store in the back of my truck if I'm way out in left field.

Please comment as kindly as you can.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20230902_122312.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	159.0 KB
ID:	436364  
dsatwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2023, 11:22 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2023 23' International
2023 27' International
Osprey , Florida
We assisted an Airstream owner who also bought their rig used and said they did not receive the ZeeDee emergency kit.

Upon closer inspection we found their emergency kit tucked away in a recess of an overhead locker. It’s not that large and easily missed — a clear plastic bag may 6 or 8 inches long and a few inches in diameter.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0522.jpeg
Views:	30
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	436374