Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2011, 10:29 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Marshall , Michigan
Totally bummed!!! Need help. My awning blew off and broke :(

My husband and I have a 72 29' Ambassador and several months ago we had a really bad storm that ripped off our awning. Only one of the arm brackets that connects to the body isn't broken. And to top it off where it was connected on the other side we need replacement aluminum. Can anyone please help us find where to find the best/cheapest place to buy the aluminum and also the awning pieces. We want zipdee, however it's waaaay more than we were hoping to pay. Please help!! I want to take my airstream out again!
AIRMONTY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 10:47 AM   #2
x

XXXX , XXXX
Airmonty what size is your awning? I have a slightly damaged Zip Dee awning tube & roller. It is a 21ft brand new with blue fabric. UPS dented it during delivery. A new one that size is $1050 from Zip Dee. PM me if interested.
wasagachris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 05:58 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1974 31' Sovereign
Spring Hill , Florida
We had this happen to our '74 Sovereign. Broke one support arm and bent the tube. We can't afford to fix it at this time, so we took it off and got a 10' x 10' folding canopy. Not as fancy, but it gets us out of the sun and out camping.
sepezlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Save your milk money until you can afford a zipdee, you'll not regret it.
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:26 PM   #5
steel/aluminum fabricator

2004 22' International CCD
Penticton , British Columbia
If the brackets are aluminum and not too shattered ,they can be tig welded. As for the tubes, if they are the same as on my 04 ccd they are custom sized and i very much doubt you can buy anything similar. Can you post pictures of the bent and broken pieces?
zedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 06:30 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Zip-Dee is my first choice, but if cost is a major consideration, A&E (Dometic) makes awnings for Airstream trailers. They are roughly half the price of a Z-D, and mount in a different location on the trailer, so you won't be re-attaching to a weak point or patch. Any RV parts place that sells Dometic stuff should be able to get you a new awning. The only thing you would need to tell them is if your battery box is located at the rear of the trailer. If so, the awning would need to be one foot shorter than a comparable Zip-Dee.
Old 05-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Quote:
Originally Posted by AIRMONTY View Post
My husband and I have a 72 29' Ambassador and several months ago we had a really bad storm that ripped off our awning. Only one of the arm brackets that connects to the body isn't broken. And to top it off where it was connected on the other side we need replacement aluminum. Can anyone please help us find where to find the best/cheapest place to buy the aluminum and also the awning pieces. We want zipdee, however it's waaaay more than we were hoping to pay. Please help!! I want to take my airstream out again!

Claim to insurance?
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2011, 09:09 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Marshall , Michigan
Thank you all for your time I did a lot of research and thanks to overlander63, we are most likely going to go with the A & E awning. I actually saw your post from awhile ago about it and the pictures looked great I've been in contact with a local dealer who can order it for us for around $1500. Better than the $2200 I was quoted from Zip-Dee. I still would like to know if you guys know a good place to purchase aluminum. The previous owners cut a big hole out for an A/C unit and then when they were done they replaced it with a galvanized steel sheet > It looks horrible! And we want to have it polished, but need a good replacement piece. Thank you all so much for taking a minute to help us out!!
Old 05-12-2011, 08:07 PM   #9
steel/aluminum fabricator

2004 22' International CCD
Penticton , British Columbia
What dimension? I would say a fabrication shop in your area will have a piece. I could mail you a piece if its not too big.
zedex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:22 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1965 22' Safari
Vassar , Michigan
I have had experience with both the Dometic and Zip Dee awnings & I strongly suggest you spend the bucks for the Zip Dee. It is by far superior. When it is deployed it tucks in nicely to the body of the trailer rather than sticking way up high over the body. The Sumbrella Cloth material of the Zip Dee is top notch.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN0111.JPG
Views:	148
Size:	204.2 KB
ID:	129698  

Everyday is a Saturday
tkasten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #11
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
1984 31' Airstream310
Ajo , Arizona
Beautiful coach, Tim!
Mike Leary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 06:54 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

1976 27' Overlander
Stuarts Draft , Virginia
Same thing happened to me Christmas eve 2009 to the small awning street side. Insurance paid 1800 to have it completely replaced. This would be replace under the comprehensive section of the TV auto policy if your AS is included on the policy. Good Luck!
mountainman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2011, 07:51 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Marshall , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by zedex View Post
What dimension? I would say a fabrication shop in your area will have a piece. I could mail you a piece if its not too big.

Thank you I'll have to ask my husband to get the exact measurements. Guessing, I'd say it's somewhere in the ballpark of 3'x3'. Totally guessing though... It's located to the right of the door, under the window and it's quite large. You might be able to see it in one of our pictures. I'll get back to you, as soon as I can get some dimensions. Thank you!
Old 05-13-2011, 07:57 AM   #14
1 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
Marshall , Michigan
Tim, your AS is amazing! We/I really want the zip dee, just gotta talk the hubby into it

Mountainman1, I wish I could say that it was covered, however, it was right after a big move and I think that we/my husband let it lapse. I am definitely going to have him check into that though!! Fingers-crossed!

Thank you all for your input!