Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-22-2014, 01:16 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
1989 32' Excella
Bay City , Texas
stuck awning

just bought a 89 excella 32'? haven't got the manual yet. can't seem to pull the awning out. the trailer hasn't been used in last 6-8 yrs. any suggestions on freeing awning? thanks for any help.
capt ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 02:03 PM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
I would suggest you read the operating manual for your particular awning before attempting to deploy it. If you don't have the manual, you may be able to download one depending of the brand. Most awnings have a locked, or stow function to prevent inadvertent deployment while under tow.

Regards,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 04:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Probably a zip-dee? Ours has a latch or lock on the end of the awning towards the front of the trailer. That is in addition to the wheel screw hold downs on each end. Have to pull the latch forward with the al rod to allow the awning to unroll. When working on a older awning a can of Silicone spray is a very useful thing. The Zip Dee guy said that Silicone is the recommended lubricant for their awnings. Look at all the support arms and spray and make sure you can move freely each individual joint where one tube slides inside another. I like the awning on our shorter trailer. But that long awning on the 32 foot is a real bear. Best accessory you can buy for it is a set of the handles from ZipDee to help extend the top rails.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:01 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

1970 27' Overlander
1989 32' Excella
Bay City , Texas
Thanks, did get the awning out with a line on each end and mechanical advantage. now arms stuck due to electralasis. may try to download manual for this awning. appreciate the help.
capt ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 09:39 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 27' Overlander
Tampa , Florida
let me know how you get the arm un-stuck. My Zip Dee must've sat closed for a long time too, and one of the arms is corroded closed.... I cant get it to budge.

I went to my local metal supplier and bought a piece of SS 1" square stock. My thoughts were to use it as a piston, and figure out how secure it so I can use a bottle jack as a press to push it out.
Mixter is offline   Reply With Quote