Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2018, 05:59 PM   #1

1973 31' Sovereign
1965 24' Tradewind
Centre Hall , Pennsylvania
Struggling with an Old Awning

Hello Airstream Friends,

I have a 1973 31' Land Yacht Sovereign. I have a 20' awning that is driving me crazy. I was able to remove it from the AS. I am not sure the type of awning it is. My guess is a Carefree, but when I try to find similar awnings hardware -- nothing looks quite like it. So, if you can give me a clue, I would really appreciate it.

I am trying to remove the awning from the roller and have had zero success. First, the spring mechanism won't release from inside the roller giving access to remove the awning. It just pulls out about an inch with resistance. Thus, I can't get the end cap off to remove the awning.

Second, which seems quite odd, it has three channels (quite normal) but instead of using just one channel to attach the awning, it has two beads connected to the roller. I can't figure out how to get a hold on the awning to pull it out of the roller. It will certainly be a chore because of the length of the roller.

I will upload some pictures. If you can look at the photos and identify the manufacturer and give any suggestions on how to remove this monster, I would greatly appreciate it.

Struggling in Pennsylvania,

Mike
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream awning-8.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	249.4 KB
ID:	319207   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream awning-4.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	215.4 KB
ID:	319208  

Name:	Airstream awning-5.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	358.9 KB
ID:	319209   Click image for larger version

Name:	Airstream awning-6.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	268.0 KB
ID:	319210  

Name:	Airstream awning-1.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	320.8 KB
ID:	319211  
Mikehalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2018, 06:37 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1968 24' Tradewind
Oxford, , Mississippi
You are correct, it is an old style Carefree. Drill the rivets out that hold the endcaps in place and remove them, then you can slide the spline out of the groves. They are 3/16 pop rivets and easy to replace. That is if you can get it to unroll. CAUTION- the spring can be under a lot of tension and it can really hurt you if it starts spinning the endcap. Wear gloves and eye protection and keep a good hold on it if it has tension (how do I know this... don't ask). Even when the roller is up agains the trailer it still has some tension, when it is deployed it has a lot of tension which is needed to roll the whole thing back up.
68 Trade Wind
2001 Toyota Tundra
68 TWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 07:18 AM   #3

1973 31' Sovereign
1965 24' Tradewind
Centre Hall , Pennsylvania
68 TWind,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have done all the things that you suggested in your note. I am having trouble removing the spring mechanism. It seems to be stuck in the roller tube. Also in removing the awning, the awning has two splines, each in different channels making it difficult to pull out. I have put silicone spray in the channels but it won't budge an inch.

Any thoughts?

Mike
Mikehalm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2018, 08:46 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
I switched to a Zipdee awning for the same issues you are talking about.
Old 08-08-2018, 09:14 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikehalm View Post
68 TWind,

Thanks for the quick reply. I have done all the things that you suggested in your note. I am having trouble removing the spring mechanism. It seems to be stuck in the roller tube. Also in removing the awning, the awning has two splines, each in different channels making it difficult to pull out. I have put silicone spray in the channels but it won't budge an inch.

Any thoughts?

Mike
If not going to change fab. cut off next to roller then brace one end of roller against some thing solid spray some thing like PB blaster on splines then take vise grip pliers pull on spline as they tend to grow in making hard to pull out, as far as getting springs can't help there, as far as 2 splines used, 1 for canopy other for valance as 2 dif. pieces, not all 1 as ZIP-Dee.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote