Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-28-2007, 02:07 PM   #1
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Storm awning

I have this spur of the moment idea. I have a vintage style awning, like all of the big awnings, it is sketchy to leave it out in heavy rain or wind. What I was thinking was this: have a smaller awning, maybe 6x6 ft, to put up when its nasty out. It would be big enough to provide some cover and small enough to leave out even in nasty weather. Anyone tried this?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:14 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Rodney, after watching our awning whip up, out, and over our trailer with us unable to do anything to stop it, we just put up with the fact that awnings are definitely fair-weather pleasures, and do without having ours extended on most of our outings. If you can design one that will withstand wind and storm, I'm sure many of us would find that interesting. It's hard to imagine gusting stormy winds not wreaking havoc on the awning, its support, or the trailer it's all attached to. Good luck in your search, and keep us posted, please! ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 02:21 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
1964 26' Overlander
1977 25' Tradewind
Eastern , Washington
One other problem I see with awnings is that most of the attachment points are very weak. I am in the middle of a shell off rebuild and it has become apperant to me that I will be reinforcing all of the awning attachment points. I believe that I will be a little safer in moderate winds with the awning out.
Old 10-28-2007, 04:41 PM   #4
E Pluribus Aluminus

2008 34' Classic S/O
1967 22' Safari
2005 30' Classic
Land Of Enchantment , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gen Disarray
I have this spur of the moment idea. I have a vintage style awning, like all of the big awnings, it is sketchy to leave it out in heavy rain or wind. What I was thinking was this: have a smaller awning, maybe 6x6 ft, to put up when its nasty out. It would be big enough to provide some cover and small enough to leave out even in nasty weather. Anyone tried this?

First thought that comes to my mind is a vision of the shuttle landing with a couple of parachutes deployed to slow it down... except an awning on an Airstream would be more like a kite, huh...?

Agree with Janets Husband... attachment points would get bent all to heck. Even with a 6X6, you'd still have one side enclosed (the A/S wall). With sufficient wind or a strong gust, that could create enough of a pocket to take it away...
The trouble with trouble is it always starts out as fun...
Jaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 05:37 PM   #5
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
I'm not sure I am following. The only attachement point on the camper is the awning rail. Are you guys saying you are seeing awning rails ripped off of campers?

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1984 31' Excella
Broken Arrow , Oklahoma
Storm Awning

What got ripped off on mine was the casting that the stowed locking wheel and horizontal bar attached to.
Be careful about making the attachments points too strong. They may be made to brake away (frangable) to prevent further more serious damage, you know a sacrifice piece.
Beginner
Beginner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:15 PM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I don't think it would be a good idea to have a storm awning (my opinion). If a storm was to blow the awning over the top of your trailer, the attached poles might come with it and cause serious damage to your TW. How about getting an EZ-Up that you could anchor to the ground/table/tree that you could use as some protection outside in a storm. Better yet, go inside!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 07:53 PM   #8
Rivet Master

This comes under the catagory of " No easy answer "

The wind ripped the awning support arms off of my trailer before I owned it.
I could reinforce it and use tie down straps, but then I would just end
up with a different weak link, perhaps the awning fabric. I tried and Easy Up
and was dissatisfied. It didn't block sun well. It collected rain and looked like a water balloon. The wind blew the fabric away from the frame.
We have been using a structure made out of pipes, fittings, and a heavy duty tarp. We pound spikes into the ground and strap the stucture down. We
have never had problems with any kind of weather. But it is bulky and
time consuming to set up. So it appears that there are no easy answers.
.........I saw a riverside campground where absent campers lower their
awning instead of retract them. I guess the wind doesn't do as much damage
pushing than it does when it is lifting.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 10:23 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
Quote:
Originally Posted by azflycaster
How about getting an EZ-Up that you could anchor to the ground/table/tree that you could use as some protection outside in a storm. Better yet, go inside!
I have proof and witnessess. EZ up's can withstand some serious wind when properly anchored. (Mine are called First up, from Wal Mart)

Gary (janet's husband) and I had ours up at the coast last spring during a pretty good storm. Upwards of 50 mph gusts. They both survived although they were 3 ft from where we put them, with no drag marks .

I'd be interested in seeing if you can come up with something like an awning for the door area alone. 6 x 6 might be too big. 4 x 4 ? The smaller the better for heavy winds.

Orrrr..... A better idea, hitch up and drive to where the weather is nice !
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:34 PM   #10
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Rodney - I have seen vintage style awnings in high wind with no issues at the rail. The bigger problem has been the poles in the front of the awning not being well secured. Are you proposing a shorter / smaller awning that would fit into the awning rail or a seperate stand alone canopy?

The real risk with either scenario is that IF the awning gets partially loose and flaps in the gale - you may get damage to the skin of the trailer.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2007, 11:49 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1965 17' Caravel
1968 28' Ambassador
Butte , Montana
Send a message via MSN to C Johnson Send a message via Yahoo to C Johnson
I was thinking he wanted something along the lines of a small awning to cover the entrance area. After thinking about it, 6 x 6 would probably do with Gary's 45 lb. weights attached.

I think that would be a great idea in lieu of having the full awning out if you didn't really need it.
C Johnson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2007, 08:07 AM   #12
4 Rivet Member

1967 26' Overlander
1953 17' Clipper
Mendon , Vermont
I fly a very large vintage-style awning on my '67 overlander. I have found it best to use five poles across the front, and always now use eight inch springs where the guy lines are attached to the stakes. This allows me to fly it even with rather stiff winds. During steady rain and pretty heavy winds, we lower the outer poles by one section, or the center pole by one and the outer poles by two when it is really bad. We've found that we can use it during most conditions this way.

When traveling through Nova Scotia, Cape Breton and PEI a few summers ago, we had major problems with wind, and frequently couldn't use the awning. We probably broke about a dozen stakes, and couldn't find decent replacements anywhere. (We used screw in dog leashing poles and bent or broke four of those also!) After arriving home, I purchased sixteen of the best, heavy duty stakes and the springs, and experimented with lowering the awning during bad weather. We have since had much better success.

Gail
pinktrailer is offline   Reply With Quote