Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2016, 09:01 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
Simple Vintage Awnings - Where Oh Where???!

Looking for the very simple, manual style awnings found on real old trailers. Not Zip Dee etc, just the real simple ones like you see in this beautiful example at the windows. Any ideas? Perhaps you have some for sale even?

I prefer the simplicity and elegance of these simple beauties and I am trying to get a jump on summer heat. Thanks again for your input.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1952-airstream-cruiser07.jpg
Views:	216
Size:	789.0 KB
ID:	258722  
Old 03-13-2016, 09:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
I made my own when we had our '64 GlobeTrotter...very simple, not hard at all. They snapped onto the window frames at the top and had corner pockets to hold them in place at the bottom. Pretty slick! If you're interested, I have some photos of the details of mine...but they went with the trailer when we sold it several years ago so I can't take any additional photos. I'd be happy to share the ones I have. However, the problem you are going to run into is, with a '68 the windows are frameless - so your awnings would have to attach differently than mine (or those shown on the 50's trailer you posted) did.

Shari
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Taos-1.jpg
Views:	295
Size:	199.8 KB
ID:	258723  
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:08 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1962 28' Ambassador
1961 19' Globetrotter
1962 26' Overlander
Mesa , Arizona
Insideout I hope to also do that to our 65 and 62.

A member of our 4CU unit has those that they made themselves. They have a tan pair to snap on when the unit is in storage. They remove them for travel. They snsp on a pretty bright blue pair when they arrive at their camping destination.

I'm saving your photo for inspiration.

Hittenstiehl
Hittenstiehl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:30 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
This lady makes excellant vintage awnings at good prices. She made the awning for my Bambi II

http://vintageawnings.blogspot.com

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 10:44 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post
I made my own when we had our '64 GlobeTrotter...very simple, not hard at all. They snapped onto the window frames at the top and had corner pockets to hold them in place at the bottom. Pretty slick! If you're interested, I have some photos of the details of mine...but they went with the trailer when we sold it several years ago so I can't take any additional photos. I'd be happy to share the ones I have. However, the problem you are going to run into is, with a '68 the windows are frameless - so your awnings would have to attach differently than mine (or those shown on the 50's trailer you posted) did.

Shari
Those are beautiful awnings on a beautiful trailer. However, I am looking something that is self supported like in the photo I shared, not slip cover style as you have. The way we use our trailer the self supported style works best.

To your point about frameless, you are correct. Our plan for now is to have these awings at the front and rear windows. I am going to install non period correct drip rails or caps. The top of the awing fabric will attach to the underside of the drip cap using one of these types marine bimini hardware. May be hard to imagine, but when I finish it, it will make sense.

I am really looking for the hardware, not the fabric. I can do that easy. Thanks everybody
Old 03-14-2016, 11:17 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
For my last two Airstreams, I used the vintage style awnings. my present one came from EBAY where it was only 20 dollars. it's vinyl and I added the grommets and poles from a sporting goods store. the awning already was sewn and had the plastic rope that you pull through the trailer track tube.
The old one was a cloth Sunbrella awning made for us.It came with grommets already installed. I used Marti Domenici in California who does a great job.
AIR #005
Please visit our blogs and web pages:
OUR AIRSTREAM PASSION! BLOG
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
ALANSD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2016, 04:15 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
this one was made for us by Marti. On a 1981 31 Excella
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	awning.jpg
Views:	229
Size:	87.4 KB
ID:	258763  
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 03-14-2016, 05:45 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1968 26' Overlander
Portland , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ALANSD View Post
this one was made for us by Marti. On a 1981 31 Excella
Thanks everybody. I am specifically interested in the window awnings I showed in the photo, not porch awnings. Thanks.

Here is another great example on the front of this Shasta:
Old 03-15-2016, 01:01 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamPDX View Post
Those are beautiful awnings on a beautiful trailer. However, I am looking something that is self supported like in the photo I shared, not slip cover style as you have. The way we use our trailer the self supported style works best.
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamPDX View Post
To your point about frameless, you are correct. Our plan for now is to have these awings at the front and rear windows. I am going to install non period correct drip rails or caps. The top of the awing fabric will attach to the underside of the drip cap using one of these types marine bimini hardware. May be hard to imagine, but when I finish it, it will make sense.
I've not seen window awnings like those before...what does the diagonal support attach to at the trailer body? I'm also curious how they hold up in wind. Our current trailer ('56 Safari) has different window frames than our '64 GT did - I haven't made the window awnings for it because the snaps would be much more obvious on the Hehr frames we have now than on the '64. I'm curious to see what you come up with.

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2016, 07:42 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1966 26' Overlander
Woodstock , Georgia
The awning maker can make any size you want with any special trim you need.

http://www.martisawnings.com/
AIR #005
RESTORING AN AIRSTREAM
retired!
Old 03-15-2016, 10:52 AM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Centennial , Colorado
Look at 'canvas fasteners' on West Marine website.
GRussell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 10:56 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
1971 27' Overlander
1973 31' Sovereign
Griffin , Georgia
What do you use for awning arms on vintage style window awnings?
paddle whisp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2021, 09:42 AM   #13
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Quote:
Originally Posted by InsideOut View Post

Shari

Shari, do you still have more photos? I am especially interested in the hardware/attachments.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote