Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-14-2008, 01:43 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Shortening a Carefree awning

All--

Yesterday I visited the Confined Space Rally at the Eagle Creek Overlook just outside of Portland, OR. Francoise and I had a great time and we got to meet Janet and Gary, Stephanie and few others in person... not just as forum avatars.

Of the serveral things I saw on other AS that caused me pause... was the the front mount point for my Carefree awning is in the wrong spot. It looks like one of the PO either got a deal or wanted the "one size bigger" awning. <insert your favority Tim Allen Home Improvement quipe here>

The front part of the awning upper brace is mounted in the upper wrap-around and not into the metal arch support between the window by the door and the front end cap. I'll see if I can dig up a pic.

I looked at the awning (I pulled everything off to get at the blasted Silicone sealer) and the roll with the awning material looks to be long tube of alumuim... so can you cut it down by a foot, remount the caps and then retension it ?
Old 09-14-2008, 01:58 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Here is a pic of the front mounting point of the carefree (NOT!) awning

Old 09-14-2008, 02:01 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
OK... that didn't work. Let's try this....

Old 09-14-2008, 02:11 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
Man I don't know if yo can cut those down... Being spring loaded as they are.. You best bet would be to call care free and see what they say.... How long is it? Does it even fit in the rail on your roof?? You may have to get a new awning to change it the mount point.. looks to be about 1-2 ft long.. Is the back mounting point in the right spot...??

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 05:56 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
They can be cut down. You will need to remove the roller from the arms, and remove the rear insert, and remove the awning fabric. Then you can use either a chop saw or sawzall to cut the excess length from the tube. Cut the same amount from the awning fabric, and sew it back so it doesn't unravel.
You can move the mounts, slide the awning fabric back in place, and reinstall the rear insert.
Can you tell I've done this before?
Old 09-14-2008, 07:09 PM   #6
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
They can be cut down. You will need to remove the roller from the arms, and remove the rear insert, and remove the awning fabric. Then you can use either a chop saw or sawzall to cut the excess length from the tube. Cut the same amount from the awning fabric, and sew it back so it doesn't unravel.
You can move the mounts, slide the awning fabric back in place, and reinstall the rear insert.
Can you tell I've done this before?
AGREED!

I've had to do this on several occasions when the factory or the owner gave the wrong info that produced an over sized awning (unfortunately, you can't do that when they are too short). There is usually one spring, but even if there are 2 springs, they can be easily removed. Trim the tube by the length required to place the bottom bracket directly over the first vertical rib, and then have the fabric trimmed and hemmed by the same amount.

As it is a Carefree, you simple slip the fabric out of the channel in the roller tube, cut it, and then replace it later when it is the matching length.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2008, 07:52 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Purman, O63 and Lewster--

Thanks for the guidance... look like I get to use my horizontal metal cutting bandsaw. Any day you *have* to use it... is a good day.

The awning frabric is toast so I'll just order a new on in the correct length. Any thoughts on the "standard" lengths?

The rear connection is in the right location... the front is just messed up. Now I just need to find something to cover the holes for the upper brace connection.

It's on a curved piece of the end-cap so I'll have to figure out some way to curve the metal and make a plate of some sort.

Any ideas?
Old 09-14-2008, 07:59 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Oh.. and one more thing... they riveted 15" extension to the the front end of the awning rail. Of course it doesn't line up 100% and left a big kink in the frabic. Removing the old awning took about an hour of trying to get the fabrice to slide out. Grrrr...
Old 09-15-2008, 04:57 AM   #9
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Apply an aluminum patch over the holes, riveting it in place. Put some vulkem around the patch, and put a small dab of it on the olympic rivets to keep water out.
Awnings are generally 10 feet shorter than the stated length of the trailer, your awning should be 13 feet. It would be a really good idea if you measured the tube after you cut it down to proper length.
Old 09-15-2008, 11:54 PM   #10
4 Rivet Member

1975 23' Safari
Portland , Oregon
Terry--

Thanks. How do they measure the awning? From the width of the arm or the length of the roller itself.

Do i need to worry about the fact the panel is curved or should I just use something thin like 0.020 aluminum to let it flex?

May need to start a new thread.