Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-20-2017, 09:50 AM   #1
Traveler

2017 25' International
Staunton , Virginia
Sequence for lowering relax 12v awning

Hello.

I apologise if this has been discussed before, as I could not locate it. I wanted to share some information I got from the nice folks at Zip Dee regardin the various height levels of our 12v relax awnings.

When ya open the awning, it will extend to a point with the front end dropped a little low, and next it will raise the arms to the max height. You can stop it anytime during that sequence, so if ya stop it just before the arms raise, it'll be a little lower and might provide a little more shade even though it'll block your door a bit. I like it this way. Another option is to let it extend full and then press either tilt rear or tilt front. This will give ya a little more shade on the side you tilt but is mainly for lettin water runoff in a light drizzle. But there's no way to tell it to tilt both ends down. You gotta press close and stop it when the arms have dropped or ya gotta stop it before the arms raise like I said before.

Ok. So ya know all that. It's in the instruction manual. Here's the part I just learned from Zip Dee..

The background is I was boondockin and had the awning out but I cut power to it so the motherboard wasn't drawing any amperage. When I powered it back up and hit close, the arms dropped real low. It scared me, but I also kind of liked it. So I stopped it, worried that the arms would just keep droppin, and I hit open and then close again and it closed like normal and all was fine.

When I called Zip Dee, they explained that this is all part of the normal operation. If power is cut to the awning when it is open and fully extended, and then it is powered back on and a close cycle is attempted, the arms will drop real low before closing. It is safe and normal and it is perfectly fine to leave it in this position in appropriate conditions. This was great news to me, as sometimes I want it lower than I thought it could go. But using this sequence will allow the arms to drop much lower.

There are two side effects to this that one should be aware of before attemptin... one is that the awning has a 45 second time out on its close cycle. So the big drop of the arms may eat up time. If time runs out, the awning will stop. No fear... Just press open, let it open for a second, then restart the close cycle and all will be fine. Second is that you will only be able to open your door a crack in this position, just like when the manual ones are dropped real low.

Hope that helps someone. If not, at least I got some good typin exercise in!

Thank you.
TravlinMan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
12v