Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-29-2006, 03:36 PM   #1

Replacing awning fabric

I have an A&E 8500 awning on my '62 Globetrotter. The material is old and starting to tear at stress points. Can I replace just the fabric? How difficult is it to install on the roller mechanism? It looks like some disassembly of the roller is required to slide the old fabric out and new fabric in.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 04:01 PM   #2
1977 31' Sovereign

Kalispell , Montana
Awning

Welcome to the forums. Go to this site if you have zipdee awning click on services and determan which awning you have but fabric removal is the same on both this site has all you need to know about your awning..http://www.zipdeeinc.com/
Old 01-29-2006, 04:09 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1979 23' Safari
Send a message via Yahoo to atvmcg
I replaced mine this year, ZipDee will ask you the right questions for awning size and material design. You should also check your hardware while replacing...especially look at the springs which rust out over time.
atvmcg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 04:12 PM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Exeter , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS
I have an A&E 8500 awning on my '62 Globetrotter. The material is old and starting to tear at stress points. Can I replace just the fabric? How difficult is it to install on the roller mechanism? It looks like some disassembly of the roller is required to slide the old fabric out and new fabric in.
I replaced the fabric on a A&E 8500 awning on a trailer that I no longer own. Be very careful. First thing is to remove all the tension from the roller. I think my roller had springs at both ends. The rivets have to be drilled out of the end caps of the roller for removal. I cut the old fabric from end to end for easier removal. I removed it from the roller and then from the awning rail. Installing the new fabric is much easier if you have someone to help. I did it by myself. The new fabric has to be threaded through the roller grove and the awning rail. You will have some extra cord at each end of the fabric at the roller. Do not cut this off. Tuck it inside the roller before you replace the roller caps. This will keep the awning fabric from sliding in the roller groove after installation. My awning arms were marked at each end at the roller with an arrow. This shows you which way to rotate the arms to add tension.

Ben
Rob30044 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 04:46 PM   #5

Thanks for the quick replies. I checked out the Zipdee site, and apparently I should call them with dimensions and they will make to order. Rob30044, did you use Zipdee material to replace your A&E awning - are the slots in the roller and on the trailer the same size? The Zipdee site shows metal slats as part of the top edge of the awning but my A&E is all fabric, it just slides into the groove on the awning rail on the trailer.
SteveS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2006, 04:57 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member

Exeter , Rhode Island
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveS
did you use Zipdee material to replace your A&E awning - are the slots in the roller and on the trailer the same size? The Zipdee site shows metal slats as part of the top edge of the awning but my A&E is all fabric, it just slides into the groove on the awning rail on the trailer.
I don't think you would be able to use Zip Dee fabric unless they make a fabric to fit an A&E awning. The awning rollers are completely different. The Zip Dee awning roller slides into a pocket in the fabric and is then held in position by several pop rivets along the awning roller. I ordered my awning fabric for the A&E from Camping World.

Ben
Rob30044 is offline   Reply With Quote