I thought I'd post "the end" of the story so this thread is not left hanging.
I did finish sewing up my awning with the outer edges radiused back to the extended awning rail (on the curved areas). I made it with straps and 'D' rings so it can be rolled up and secured while in the rail.
Also the awning was sewn with pockets to support poles to keep it rigid and be free standing. We were not able to find spring tension poles, so we improvised using old screen tent poles that my husband fitted with springs. These three poles fit into the pockets and run from the front of the awning back to the awning rail. Using 'L' and 'T' fittings also from the screen tent we ran another pole across the entire front side to side in a pocket as well. It has worked reasonably well. I would make a few changes were I to do it again. My pockets are too tight! Without duct taping the joints of the tension poles we can't get them out easily when the awning is wet.
I went on to paint stripes onto my canvas using house paint. I then applied a silicone waterproofing spray which has worked fine.
Here is a picture of it in use at the Birthday Bash, guyed down because it was windy up on that hill!
In the two years I have used this, I have learned a couple lessons the hard way! The waterproofing worked so well, collected rain water collapsed and bent my poles one rainy night. I didn't know then to lower a corner in the event of rain, but I do now!
Wind is still my biggest problem! I have had some crazy rides in my airstream without ever being hitched to the TV! In windy situations, ideally, I would like to pull out the three tension poles and roll the awning up to the rail and fasten it there. However, because my pockets are so tight (and usually wet), I cannot get the tension poles out! Therefore I'm left with no choice but to pull the whole awning, and typically in a rush! At some point I have to solve this problem, either by doing the pockets over or changing out the poles.
Overall, I am very pleased with my awning! It is a huge 12 x 9! Certainly the price was right! Because I had rope and 10yds of canvas sitting around I only had to spring for the 2 pints of paint and waterproof spray, oh... and plenty of heavy duty thread! As mentioned above the pole system was from an old screen tent (the kind that you throw up OVER a pole set-up) so there was no expense there, except for the springs Mick slid inside the poles.
I'd like to eventually replace the pole system with something designed for the job. So, if anyone wants to sell their oringinal free standing pole system like this one, Awning
, or know of one, I'd be interested!
Shari- A special thank you for your sage advice. You always have good insight and bring up good points to consider in any project.