Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-13-2015, 10:01 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Question about awnings

Ok, so we bought our 69 safari a few months ago. The trailer at one time had a awning, we didnt get any of it when we got the trailer. On craigslist we found a 74 argosy trailer with the awning for about 250.00, the problem is that one is about 12-15inches longer than what our one should be.

So can the width of the awning be modified to be shorter to make it fit our trailer. The arms and mounting brackets would be the same.
69bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 10:13 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Do you know the make of the awning?

On our Zip Dee awning, the tube that the awning rolls up around countains a powerful spring. This is what causes the awning to roll up when it is put away. I can't see how it would be possible to shorten the awning without destroying this mechanism. It's not as simple as just cutting off the end of a tube, unfortunately.
Old 03-13-2015, 10:17 AM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Question about awnings

Quote:
Originally Posted by 69bullet View Post
Ok, so we bought our 69 safari a few months ago. The trailer at one time had a awning, we didnt get any of it when we got the trailer. On craigslist we found a 74 argosy trailer with the awning for about 250.00, the problem is that one is about 12-15inches longer than what our one should be.

So can the width of the awning be modified to be shorter to make it fit our trailer. The arms and mounting brackets would be the same.

Yes most awning roller tubes can be shortened to the appropriate length. Awning fabrics can also be re-hemmed if a length change is required. As webspinner points out, the springs harness a tremendous amount of stored energy and should be handled with extreme caution. Cutting the tube is easy.

Sent from my iPad using Airstream Forums

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 12:02 PM   #4
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
Wow nice find on the cheap argosy.... I haven't had to tinker with my awnings but I can tell you that the awnings on my 69 Safari and 72 Argosy are identical so if the one you found can be shortened it will work fine with the body shape. I'm not at home but I seem to recall my awnings were Carefree or something like that...
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2015, 01:23 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
Yes, you can shorten a Zip-Dee. The spring mechanism is about 3 feet long and is in the left end of the awning as you face the trailer. the right end is just a bushing and bearing for the shaft. You can cut from that end and re-insert the bushing. I have not cut one down but I have taken several apart and re assembled with some new springs. Parts are avaliable from Zip-Dee. Pretty expensive awnings so it might be worth doing.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 06:03 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

1969 23' Safari
Mohnton , Pennsylvania
Thanks for the input. Im going to measure my track length on top of the trailer and go and look at the difference of the other one that is for sale.

We bought a couch from the same person a few weeks back, since our trailer was missing one. There is so much to do on our project that I may have to wait on the awning. Yesterday was the first day the trailer wasnt buried in snow. I did about 2hrs of work and was thinking of throwing in the towel.
69bullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:17 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Believe me....you are not going to like the cost and time involved in this project. You will not be saving unless the donner awning is a new Zip Dee.
Old 03-14-2015, 08:21 AM   #8

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by 69bullet View Post
Thanks for the input. Im going to measure my track length on top of the trailer and go and look at the difference of the other one that is for sale.

We bought a couch from the same person a few weeks back, since our trailer was missing one. There is so much to do on our project that I may have to wait on the awning. Yesterday was the first day the trailer wasnt buried in snow. I did about 2hrs of work and was thinking of throwing in the towel.

Helpful tip. Main awning lengths on Airstreams are generally 10' shorter than the listed trailer length. So a 31' trailer has a 21' long awning, and so on.

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2015, 08:45 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I can't speak for other awnings, but it would be easy, easy, easy, and cheap, cheap, cheap, to shorten the awning that came on my 72.

There is a spring on each end that comes out by drilling three rivets.

Cut the tube, reinstall the springs.

(Only one spring would have to come out)

I knew once, but cant recall the brand of my awning, but it has the arced bends at the top of the uprights.

1/2 Ton 4WD Truck, 72 Sovereign Hensley Arrow

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote