Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-11-2018, 03:00 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1985 27' Sovereign
Jonestown , Texas
Power Awning damaged from storm. Need to remove.

We came back to our trailer and because a storm had blown through while we were gone( a couple hours) the awning was almost folded in half. We aren’t sure how to unhook the wiring from the trailer. It’s Sunday of course. Click image for larger version

Name:	Image1520801996.699673.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	477.5 KB
ID:	306151
Texas Gal 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 04:09 PM   #2
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Gal 61 View Post
We came back to our trailer and because a storm had blown through while we were gone( a couple hours) the awning was almost folded in half. We aren’t sure how to unhook the wiring from the trailer. It’s Sunday of course. Attachment 306151
Ouch.
If the arms look like they're bent or broken, they will likely need to be replaced anyway. With that in mind, disconnect the power to the trailer, and turn off the battery switch, If you are unsure if it is off, disconnect the batteries via the connections at the batteries.
There are connections inside the trailer at the base of the arm mounts, covered by a silver round cap. Remove the cap, and cut the wires at the connectors. Pull the wires through to the outside.
Disconnect the arms from the awning tube, and stow them either in the trailer, or the back of your truck. The rear arm may have some tension, as that is where the spring is. Be careful!
Next, you will need to climb to the awning rail. Look at the awning, where it is contained in the rail. You should find a pair of screws, one front and one rear, that keep the awning from sliding out of the rail. Remove those screws.
Have someone help you slide the awning out of the rail, then roll up the fabric on the tube. At this point, you will have something so long, it won't fit in your tow vehicle, unless you happen to have a large box truck.
Take a look at the rear window of the trailer. With any luck, it is the emergency escape window. Pull the looped spline to release the screen, and open the window fully. Slide the awning inside the trailer from the window. Go inside and make sure it doesn't damage anything while sliding it in.
Close the window, and secure the awning so it doesn't roll around, and damage anything during travel. When you get home, call your Airstream dealer for an appointment to order the needed parts.
Old 03-11-2018, 05:27 PM   #3
2 Rivet Member

1985 27' Sovereign
Jonestown , Texas
I didn’t get this message in time. Just left the hospital. I messed up my for arm and we had to get me fixed
Texas Gal 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2018, 05:45 PM   #4
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
Oh my. I hope you weren’t too badly injured. If you are traveling solo, ask around for extra set of hands, ladders. This is not the time to be brave and do things yourself. I am so sorry to hear about your damage. Please let us in the forum know what we can do to help out.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 09:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Anna Maria , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Gal 61 View Post
We came back to our trailer and because a storm had blown through while we were gone( a couple hours) the awning was almost folded in half. We aren’t sure how to unhook the wiring from the trailer. It’s Sunday of course. Attachment 306151
Was it deployed ?
One thing I appreciate about the electric awning is that it can be deployed and retracted with the press of a button. Now I retract it every time we lieve the trailer for any extended length of time where I can't get back to it in a few minutes should the weather turn foul.
franklyfrank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 10:07 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2016 28' Flying Cloud
Kennesaw , Georgia
Sorry to year about injury.
For overlander63, that was an awesome response. Nothing better than step by step instruction.
dugster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2018, 07:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2013 31' Classic
billings , Montana
We never ourawning out when we leave....the wind can do a lot of damage instantaly
tjdonahoe is offline   Reply With Quote