Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-21-2012, 07:53 PM   #1
sunny 75

1975 27' Overlander
selah , Washington
Polishing Zip Dee Awning covers

The trailer is getting shinier everyday, but I want the awning covers to match! They are off the trailer since the stitching on the awnings needed to be resewn anyway and I wanted to be able to polish under the awning. So... today I tried to polish the awning covers using Nuvite F7 to remove what appears to be oxidation like the rest of the trailer had. After about an hour, there are some very shiny patches, but it is taking way longer to get there than it did with the trailer. I just read a thread that mentioned that they might be anodized. Is that the case? If so, what needs to be done to make them shiny?
sunny75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2012, 08:48 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
They're probably anodized. In order to polish it, you need to remove the anodization by using oven cleaner. I did it on one of my awning covers (didn't do the rest since they were on the trailer). It'll look REALLY ugly after you spray it with the oven cleaner though. Try to keep the oven cleaner off the awning canvas.....it could damage it (I didn't have the fabric on it when I sprayed it)

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 02:38 PM   #3
sunny 75

1975 27' Overlander
selah , Washington
It works!

I tried it on one slat and it worked just like the guy with the Avion camper said! The anodization bubbled up and washed off, then I was able to easily polish it up! There are very few scratches and little oxidation compared to the trailer. It's already to a mirror shine after one pass with the gray bar.
sunny75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2012, 06:30 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 17' Bambi II
Vintage Kin Owner
Schererville , Indiana
Yes, it does work.

1964 Bambi II
1988 Avion 32S
Becky B. is offline   Reply With Quote