Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-14-2012, 10:32 AM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
OK...how do I get the "Z Lock" off the tube?

I need to cut almost 3 feet off of the patio awning tube. I got the spring out without any problems. I have drilled out all of the rivets that hold the Z Lock in place. It will not budge. I have tried tapping it and turning it but the Z Lock is cast aluminum and will, I am sure, crack if I use too much force. Is there a secret rivet or screw that I cannot find? Should I wait several hours for the silicone to work?
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 10:46 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle & Bear View Post
I need to cut almost 3 feet off of the patio awning tube. I got the spring out without any problems. I have drilled out all of the rivets that hold the Z Lock in place. It will not budge. I have tried tapping it and turning it but the Z Lock is cast aluminum and will, I am sure, crack if I use too much force. Is there a secret rivet or screw that I cannot find? Should I wait several hours for the silicone to work?
The Z locks on the awnings that I shortened were held in with three rivets. Drill the rivets and they should come out. My question is why are you removing it? If you have the spring out, I assume you have the fittings that mount the spring out just cut that end of the tube. It doesn't matter which end of the tube you cut. If you really want to cut the Z lock end, go ahead and cut it and then push the Z lock out with a block of wood. Much less chance of harming it.

Good luck, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:40 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
Thanks Dan,

Zip Dee folks are telling me to only cut on the Z Lock end. I had underestimated the size of the rivets. Ran a larger drill through the rivet holes and it popped out with no problem. I did take the Z Lock apart and found two teeth missing and a bent pin. It also needed some silicone to keep things working. Unless there are objections I will just reuse it.
Michael
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle & Bear View Post
Thanks Dan,

Zip Dee folks are telling me to only cut on the Z Lock end. I had underestimated the size of the rivets. Ran a larger drill through the rivet holes and it popped out with no problem. I did take the Z Lock apart and found two teeth missing and a bent pin. It also needed some silicone to keep things working. Unless there are objections I will just reuse it.
Michael
Michael I'm glad you got the Z lock off. Cutting the Z lock end is much easier then messing with the spring end. As to the damaged Z lock I wouldn't worry too much because I think many of the newer awnings don't use it anyway. As long as you have the clamp locks on each end the Z lock doesn't really do much.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:55 PM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The z lock is no longer used on ZipDee awnings. It has been replaced by the Travel Lock which is simple to install and locks your awning to the side of the trailer when traveling. You would need to replace the Z lock with an idle end assembly. Just another option to consider.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote