Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-05-2011, 09:10 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
Olathe , Kansas
Smile New Awning Fabric Installed, Thanks To You!

We bought Elouise this spring with a two-foot split in her 41 year-old Carefree awning. It didn't take many times of opening and closing to turn it into a MAJOR rip. I did my research here on numerous threads and walked into this completely prepared. The most difficult part was obtaining the fabric. I checked everywhere and there was no serial number or model number. I ended up at my local Carefree dealer and we came up with the fabric strictly by measurements.

The actual installation was easy! That's where you all came in. After reading the procedures provided by all you here on the forum, I formed a plan. I only changed the order of events a little to suit my situation. My helper here is my wife and I just have one ladder. So instead of installing the fabric on the roller first and rolling it before sliding it on the trailer, we slid the fabric in the channel on the trailer first, then slid it on the roller. Then it was a simple matter to stick the ends in the support arms, roll up the fabric, then remove one end at a time and tension the springs. I just had to be careful of the spring tension, (which wasn't as bad as I thought it would be). Just keep anything you may want to use again (like fingers, face etc.) out of the axis of the spring mount when winding it. I was fortunate that the tension springs were both in good shape, (which I checked before ordering the fabric.) A little new grease and they are good to go.

So now Elouise has a brand new awning, well awning fabric anyway for the AIR Midwest fall rally next weekend! It's too dark for pictures now so I will try to post some from the rally next weekend.

And it's all thanks to you all here on the AIR Forum!

Ken
Old 01-31-2012, 07:41 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
I would like to see those pictures:-)
Splitrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2012, 06:43 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
Olathe , Kansas
Splitrock,
I just reviewed all my photos and I don't have a good photo with the new awning out. I guess I will have to wait until spring to get a photo to show. There is a photo here:

http://i875.photobucket.com/albums/a...y/DSCN0548.jpg

but it doesn't show much.

Sorry,
Ken
Old 02-02-2012, 07:47 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
It looks good. Thanks for the link. Is there extra awning material left on the roll when the arms are fully extended? Or does the open position stretch the fabric tight?

What did you use for the plastic sewn in cord used to hold the awning material in the channels?

My awning didn't have any fabric on it when I bought the trailer. How did you measure the length of the material from the top channel to the tube.

I'm thinking of sewing my own. Doing research:-)

Gary
Old 02-04-2012, 09:47 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
Olathe , Kansas
Hey Gary,

To answer your questions, the fabric is stretched tight when the awning is extended. We ordered the fabric from our local Carefree dealer. They just needed to know how long the awning was between the front and rear brackets in feet. The fabric is actually about 4 inches shorter than that, but as far as the width, Carefree just knew it. When I measured the old one before ordering, it was about 90 inches.

The plastic cord came in the awning, but the dealer had to know the size of my old cording before they could order the new. (Mine was 1/4 inch).

I would think you could easily sew your own fabric, but I don't know what to use for the cording. It needs to be fairly rigid, not "squishy" like nylon rope. The stuff in there is a plastic solid cord-like stuff. I am sure you can come up with something, or just put the question out there to the forum; somebody has doubtless done this and everybody is so willing to help here that it probably wouldn't take long to have your answer.

Good luck and keep me posted!

Ken
Old 02-04-2012, 09:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
The cord inside the awning is called "awning rope." We got ours from Sailrite, but I'm sure there are other sources out there.

Our awning channel was so chewed up by some PO that we ended up cutting it off and riveting on new channel in 4' lengths, also from Sailrite.

I just finished with the sewing on our new awning this week and we haven't actually installed it yet, so I'll report later today on how it worked.
Old 02-04-2012, 11:03 AM   #7
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Well View Post
The plastic cord came in the awning, but the dealer had to know the size of my old cording before they could order the new. (Mine was 1/4 inch).
Thanks Ken,

I have a sample of the cord that came off mine. It is solid plastic, not rope. Maybe upholstery welt material would work okay. I'll maybe check with Sunbrella. They probably have one available.

Quote:
Originally Posted by webspinner View Post
The cord inside the awning is called "awning rope." We got ours from Sailrite, but I'm sure there are other sources out there.

Our awning channel was so chewed up by some PO that we ended up cutting it off and riveting on new channel in 4' lengths, also from Sailrite.

I just finished with the sewing on our new awning this week and we haven't actually installed it yet, so I'll report later today on how it worked.
My awning is a Carefree. I'll be interested to hear how you did everything. Hope you took a couple pictures:-)

Thanks

Gary
Old 02-04-2012, 11:19 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Ours is a Zip Dee, but I'm sure there are similarities. We're going out to try putting it on now. I'll report soon.

If you do sew your own, I have a list of pointers that I started in this thread, with more to add.
Old 02-04-2012, 04:30 PM   #9
3 Rivet Member

1971 25' Caravanner
Olathe , Kansas
Did I tell you this is a great group?
Old 02-04-2012, 04:36 PM   #10
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by max well View Post
did i tell you this is a great group?

+1

`
Old 04-23-2012, 01:47 PM   #11
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Awning repair / replacement

I decided to try reuse the A&E awning that came with the Flying Cloud. I repaired the broken fittings where someone had dragged the arms into something and did damage. Then I took the old fabric...actually in good shape, but I hate the color and design.....to a local canvas awning shop and had a duplicate awning made in new sunbrella. The question I have is ....when tensioning the roller, when do I do that? After the fabric is rolled on the main roller?....with any loose fabric so as to allow worning away from the trailer side? One the ground and then install the tensioned roller to the rail...ten attach the arms. I guess I need a sequence for the tensioning and roller install. Any good words? Thanks.
Old 04-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
This post by Zeppelinium shows the original instructions for installing and tensioning a Zip Dee awning. I don't know if it will apply in your situation, but it may help.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f442...tml#post481948
Old 04-23-2012, 07:15 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Thanks anyway....but, this is an A&E. Wish it was a Zip Dee. I have been told to roll it by hand, slide it onto the rail, hook up arms as normal, extend out fully, with the roll braced unhook one side of the arms and do the tension then install that arm. Then do the other end. The awning should roll up correctly then....I hope. Complete the operation by counting and accounting for all fingers and thumbs.

Tags
awning