Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-27-2008, 10:28 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
New '64 Safari Awning

I finished making our own custom made awning for the Safari. The awning attaches to the original awning track of the safari. As far as we know, the original safari owners and the second owners (my in-laws) never had one while they owned it and we thought we'd try having one. We had seen one set up and made by fellow airstreamers at a recent rally we attended and were inspired by theirs. We used a small diameter poly rope that I sewed inside the channel of the fabric material to help draw the 12'x10' awning through the track. My hubby fashioned a handled tool that could hook onto a ring sewn at the sides of the top edge that we could hold and pull the awning through one side of the track,then slide all the way to the other end. We have 3 grommets along the outside edge where the 3 8' telescopic poles we ordered from Cabela's will be inserted, then tied down w/guy lines to ground stakes. I also put a set of grommets at the 8' length section for flexibility in case we were limited in campground site space.
codybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2008, 08:23 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Colville , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by codybear View Post
I finished making our own custom made awning for the Safari. The awning attaches to the original awning track of the safari. As far as we know, the original safari owners and the second owners (my in-laws) never had one while they owned it and we thought we'd try having one. We had seen one set up and made by fellow airstreamers at a recent rally we attended and were inspired by theirs. We used a small diameter poly rope that I sewed inside the channel of the fabric material to help draw the 12'x10' awning through the track. My hubby fashioned a handled tool that could hook onto a ring sewn at the sides of the top edge that we could hold and pull the awning through one side of the track,then slide all the way to the other end. We have 3 grommets along the outside edge where the 3 8' telescopic poles we ordered from Cabela's will be inserted, then tied down w/guy lines to ground stakes. I also put a set of grommets at the 8' length section for flexibility in case we were limited in campground site space.

Where's a moderator when you need one. codybear obviously is in need of a flogging for failing to attach pictures to an inflammatory post like this.

2001 Honda XR650R
Currently Looking...for an Avion Truck Camper (or a Classic Argosy MoHo)

"In regione caecorum rex est luscus." GP
GreatPumpkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 05:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1967 20' Globetrotter
Sauquoit , New York
Home Made Awning

The description sounds great. And I say...."where are the photos"?
Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 06:02 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Hi, I think I'm maxed out on my attachments on the forum threads, but I was able to start a blog (see top of Forums Interface Page for the link) and attach pix there, check it out!!
Old 07-29-2008, 06:31 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
Cool! That would work for our Argosy. Now to find material....where did you get yours? And where do you carry the poles when you are on the road? Do they fit inside the trailer or have you got them in sections like badminton net poles? Aluminum or wood? And how do you attach the poles to the awning when you set it up?

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

https://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2008, 07:33 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isadora View Post
Cool! That would work for our Argosy. Now to find material....where did you get yours? And where do you carry the poles when you are on the road? Do they fit inside the trailer or have you got them in sections like badminton net poles? Aluminum or wood? And how do you attach the poles to the awning when you set it up?
Hi Sandy (or Jim) - we used screen fabric (as used in patio screening) that we bought from Home Depot. They come in 6' x 20' rolls. This will be our first time using the awning and poles when we go to the Coast on Thursday..so I'm crossing my fingers the setup will go smoothly (?)..the telescopic 8' poles are made of galvanized steel, according to my hubby Steve that I bought online at Cabela's Adjustable-Height Tent Poles
..they fold up into 3 sections w/a cable running through it. they fit in our Safari in the bathtub which is where we store stuff (we usually don't use the shower/tub, easier to use the campground showers that we look for when booking our sites)..the 3 poles have a spike on top, and will go through the grommets, then Steve will take some rope and make a knot around the top and bring it down to hook onto the stakes we also got at Cabela's.. Cabela's -- Kelty Nobendium Tent Stakes
and Cabela's -- 12 Sand Stakes
for different types of ground.

Will have to wait and see just how everything goes!
Old 07-30-2008, 08:35 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
Joplin , Missouri
Quote:
Hi Sandy (or Jim) - we used screen fabric (as used in patio screening) that we bought from Home Depot. They come in 6' x 20' rolls. This will be our first time using the awning and poles when we go to the Coast on Thursday..so I'm crossing my fingers the setup will go smoothly (?)..the telescopic 8' poles are made of galvanized steel, according to my hubby Steve that I bought online at Cabela's Adjustable-Height Tent Poles
..they fold up into 3 sections w/a cable running through it. they fit in our Safari in the bathtub which is where we store stuff (we usually don't use the shower/tub, easier to use the campground showers that we look for when booking our sites)..the 3 poles have a spike on top, and will go through the grommets, then Steve will take some rope and make a knot around the top and bring it down to hook onto the stakes we also got at Cabela's.. Cabela's -- Kelty Nobendium Tent Stakes
and Cabela's -- 12 Sand Stakes
for different types of ground.

Will have to wait and see just how everything goes!
Thanks, I think I have a Cabela's catalog around here someplace, or maybe the next time we get to Tulsa. Wonder if Bass Pro has those poles???? Or maybe Surplus City in Springfield. Hmmmm. Now I have a new project, getting all that stuff together but it would be great to have an awning! (we don't use our shower, either, what with kitty litter and all the stuff we store in it also.......).

"To know is nothing at all. To imagine, is everything." --Albert Einstein

https://chaosinature.blogspot.com/
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2008, 09:23 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
SACRAMENTO , California
We've been to Bass Pro in Springfield, Missouri..I know they've got lots of different things alright!..wouldn't hurt to check it out!..heard they're going to have one here in CA soon..