Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-15-2017, 11:04 AM   #1
HotelCaliGal

1958 22' Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
1991 35' Airstream 350
portola valley , California
Manual Zip Dee Awning question

We finally have good enough weather here in Nor Ca after all the rains to get out on the roads. We put up our new Zip Dee Awning on our 1958 FC 22" and it is all a manual install requires 2 adults to get it on and out. We needed a step ladder as well. Anyone have a suggestion for on the road how to make this process easier and not require the step adder? We decided not to upgrade to an automated Zip Dee so as not to ruin the authenticity of our AS but this is quite a bt of work to get on and off. And I know we have to take it off to travel and each time we move on and off. Any folks out there with advice?
Much appreciated!
Dianne
Driftin Di is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 11:51 AM   #2
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
You should not need a step ladder. Do you have the Al rod that is used to unscrew the wheel locks on the top and to pull out the latch and awning? Using the rod you unscrew the wheel latches and fold them out of the catch. Then pull the awning latch. Then hook the rod in the loop of awning material in the center and pull down the awning all the way. Then hook the horizontal supports. Then push the awning up at each end while pulling out the support arm catches.

If this procedure does not work then you need to trouble shoot the awning. If rolling the awning up is your problem then the roller on the right end of the awning with the latch probably needs replacing. There is a bearing surface there that corrodes and can not be lubricated from the outside. It costs about $120 to replace the end. If you do not want to spend that you might try taking the old one out (you have to drill the rivets) and soaking it in something for a while. Cheap as I am I replaced mine and was amazed at the improvement. Is the spring good? Lubricate all the arms and sliding parts with Silicone spray. Keep at it until it rolls and slides easily. Maybe get someone to show you how easy it is on a properly working awning. If the latches are the problem get up there once and turn and lubricate them until they move freely. Look at the parts list on the Zip Dee site.

Hardest thing we did Airstreaming was to learn how the awnings work and to fix them on our 2 trailers. We got a lesson from the Zip Dee rep at a national rally. And it still took me a couple years after that to find and fix the sticky roller bearing. But once done they work fine.

Over all I have had to replace the main spring on one large window awning and the latch and roller on the right end on both main awnings. The awning is steel and Al and the Al corrosion will lock everything up when the awnings are not used for a long time. The more and more often you use it the better it will keep and work.

You really do not want an automatic awning. And the original awning will work easily with one person on the ground ONCE IT IS COMPLETLY LUBRICATED and adjusted.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:00 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftin Di View Post
We finally have good enough weather here in Nor Ca after all the rains to get out on the roads. We put up our new Zip Dee Awning on our 1958 FC 22" and it is all a manual install requires 2 adults to get it on and out. We needed a step ladder as well. Anyone have a suggestion for on the road how to make this process easier and not require the step adder? We decided not to upgrade to an automated Zip Dee so as not to ruin the authenticity of our AS but this is quite a bt of work to get on and off. And I know we have to take it off to travel and each time we move on and off. Any folks out there with advice?
Much appreciated!
Dianne
Why would you take off to travel? Awning slides into awning rail at top stays there, then there are arms that fasten onto lower side front and rearward. I use fold flat step stool to turn locking wheels both ends easy in and out. My suggestion go on zip-dee web site to see how to do. If you are using rope and free standing poles with guy ropes why Pur. Zip-dee Maybe explain further what you are doing with awning as I have seen zip-dee that does not have arms attached to trailer and detaches from rail to travel
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 12:12 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Google Zipdee you tube video
Old 05-15-2017, 02:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
Driftin,

I'm thinking you have a vintage style pole and rope awning (probably made by ZipDee or of ZipDee material). We use one on our '64 Safari for the same reason you stated. The installation requires a second person because the awning trailing end binds in the awning rail (pulled down slightly by gravity). We made a small device to make this a one person job. It is simply a small pulley mounted to a 6" piece of aluminum rod (diameter of the awning rail). Slip it into the front part of the rail and run a guide rope rope from the awning (eye nearest the trailer) through the pulley and toward the back of the trailer. Now feed the awning into the back end of the rail while pulling back on the rope through the pulley. You keep the awning from binding and pull it through at the same time. I still need a step stool.

(By the way, we added a fold down regular ZipDee awning to our '68 Overlander. It just makes it easier...)

Good luck,

Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2017, 03:22 PM   #6
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
If it's a slide in awning, spray some silicone in the track before each time you put the awning on.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:07 AM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Stowe , Vermont
There's a great video on you tube - check it out -

VT Wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 11:16 AM   #8
2 Rivet Member

1985 25' Sovereign
Olympia , Washington
https://video.search.yahoo.com/yhs/s...1&action=click
Sovereign85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 01:57 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by 64airstream View Post
Driftin,
I'm thinking you have a vintage style pole and rope awning (probably made by ZipDee or of ZipDee material). We use one on our '64 Safari for the same reason you stated. The installation requires a second person because the awning trailing end binds in the awning rail (pulled down slightly by gravity). We made a small device to make this a one person job. It is simply a small pulley mounted to a 6" piece of aluminum rod (diameter of the awning rail). Slip it into the front part of the rail and run a guide rope rope from the awning (eye nearest the trailer) through the pulley and toward the back of the trailer. Now feed the awning into the back end of the rail while pulling back on the rope through the pulley. You keep the awning from binding and pull it through at the same time. I still need a step stool.....
Good idea! I've been dealing with the same thing as Dianne and wondering if there is an easier way. You've invented it! But how do you lock the 6" length of rod into the channel to keep it from just sliding farther into the channel when you pull the cord? How did you attach the pulley to the rod?
I carry a short 4' step ladder in the truck bed, but it could also lay on the floor of the trailer, of course.

Thanks for great tip!
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2017, 03:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

1964 22' Safari
1968 26' Overlander
Beaver County , Pennsylvania
USA,

I just cut threads on the last 3/4" of the rod (with a die) then stacked up a nut, washer, the pulley (eye), another washer, then the final nut. The first nut/washer seat against the front end of the rail to give you the leverage you need. The alternatives to cutting threads is to buy a piece of all-thread the right diameter. It doesn't really matter if the portion of the rod inserted into the rail is threaded or not. Another alternative would be a wooden dowel, a pulley and some duct tape.

Good luck,

Roy and Marie
64airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 01:21 AM   #11
4 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vintage Kin Owner
Sonoma Co. , California
Thanks, Roy

I've got the picture. I think I have enough "stuff" laying around to build one per your directions. I may substitute a long machine bolt if I can't find a short length of rod in the right diameter. Heading off for the holiday weekend next week, so I've got a deadline to finish it. Hope Diane sees
USAtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2017, 08:32 AM   #12
2 Rivet Member

2000 34' Limited
1985 25' Sovereign
LaGrange Highlands , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driftin Di View Post
Much appreciated!
Dianne
Watch to Zip dee u-tube. I have been ASing for over 25 years and have never had my wife help putting to awning out only in if there is a heavy wind that came up all of a sudden she will help me put it up. Zip dee awnings R the easiest awnings to put out and up.
rmatkovich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2017, 03:58 PM   #13
Rivet Master

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2016 30' Flying Cloud
Blenheim Ontario , Ontario
I just use my little step ladder.
Easier than fiddling around with that dizzy hook rod.
It just gets used to pull the awning down/up.
K.I.S.S.!
MelGoddard is offline   Reply With Quote