Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-22-2015, 10:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
Less than 1 year old spring broke

My road side awning spring broke, which I replaced at just less than one year ago. I got a replacement and returned the broken spring to Zipdee. Zipdee said the spring broke due to rust, and that unless I fixed the source of water getting into the tube, that I couldn't expect the new spring to last very long (not the response I was hoping for). I was told that water entry points could be anywhere with an awning as old as mine (1979).

When replacing the spring I didn't see any standing water. Any suggestions on where to look for leaks? Should I seal the rivets holding the end caps on, as well as the joint between the end caps and roller tube? There's also the rivets adjacent to the spring where the fabric attaches to the tube.

Even if the spring did get wet, I'm surprised it only lasted a year.
KYAirstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 07:00 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
I looked at my awning today and it appears the only source of water entry might be along the rivets at the end up the tube, as well as those rivets holding the fabric against the tube. Are these rivets typically sealed? Or would weep holes be a better idea? I still can't see how any significant amount of water would enter, thereby causing the spring to rust out as Zipdee suggested.
Old 09-27-2015, 07:08 PM   #3
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
I think weep holes would be a better plan of attack....It's hard to believe a spring rusted enough to break in a year.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2015, 08:34 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1979 31' Sovereign
Northeastern , Kentucky
I was surprised the spring broke so soon as well and thought maybe it was a bad spring, but Zipdee was adamant that the break was due to rust (I returned the spring to them). I still find it hard to believe, and was surprised how firm Zipdee was in their stance.