Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-25-2009, 06:47 PM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Adrian , Michigan
Leak around awning

Hi all,

I have a small leak from what appears to be my awning rail. It is between the window and door close to a rib line. I have used vulcum along the top connections but the leak has not slowed down.

I notice when we were in a Florida rain a few weeks ago that it did not leak here so I'm wondering if it has something to do with the way the trailer sits. It's level now in the yard; I eyeballed it in FL.

Any thoughts?

Nick
nynick52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:05 AM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Nick,

Water seeks the travel path of least resistance, so the leak may, or may not be where you think it is.

Assuming that it is the awning rail though. There are usually "keeper" screws placed in the rail to prevent the awning fabric from sliding in the rail. I've seen some that were long enough to protrude through the rail and into the skin.

Also, Carefree used a lag screwed extrusion on their awnings at each end of the rail where the endcaps rest during storage. The lag screw openings are a very good leak point if not properly sealed.

After that I'd look at all other penetrations in the shell.

Best of luck,

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 06:11 AM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I had a leak from a "keeper" screw that I removed when I installed my awing (old awning was long gone). The hole went into the skin and the awning would wick the water into the hole after a short period of time. It took me a long time to find the problem, but it does not rain much where I live.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 08:04 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1975 Argosy 24
Malakoff , Texas
Caulk, Caulk and Caulk. You may consider backing out screws and putting
a dab of caulk in the hole - then running the screw back up tight. One at a
time so you do not have to disassemble things. Be sure to get a ladder
and get up on top...the antenna base and anything else you can see. Wiggle
things and look for loose caulk sitting on top of metal. If you will lightly
scuff the surface and wipe very clean, the caulk will stick. A thick bead
of caulk will shrink.
kennethowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 11:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

Also, don't ignore the rivets. I have some loose ones(or so I'm told) that leak from right next to the front ceiling vent. They move when you tap on them, or you can spin them with your fingers.
Rich
VIKING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2009, 01:42 PM   #6
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
There are dozens of possibilities that come to mind on your trailer. Water could enter in spot A, and move across wiring, insulation, and ribs to spot B many feet away. I just found a leak in my trailer last week that was coming in from a crack in my fantastoc fan, but showing up in my curbside flooring.
Old 10-26-2009, 05:38 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

1973 Argosy 24
Currently Looking...
Adrian , Michigan
Thanks all for the advice. Having been a builder I'm well aware that a leak can manifest itself far from the physical evidence of the leak. I have eliminated everything else with the exception of the ac.

Makes sense about the keeper screws since I have only dealt with the rail to body connection. I guess that when it's level the water sets in the rail, pools and leaks.

The ladder comes back out this weekend!
nynick52 is offline   Reply With Quote