Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×
 


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 07-02-2017, 10:30 PM   #1
cwf
Rivet Master
 
cwf's Avatar
 
1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,392
Images: 2
Key strip replacement

One of the keys on our 1999 tore.

Called ZipDee.. excellent service! Sent new KEY strip. After first one, replaced all but the long one on curb side.. will tackle soon
__________________
Peace and Blessings..
Channing
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:00 AM   #2
4 Rivet Member
 
2000 30' Excella
Toledo , Ohio
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 489
We did that last year let me know how the long awning goes my wife and I were afraid
to tackle that one .
woodfox45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 05:05 AM   #3
Rivet Master
 
Hans627's Avatar

 
2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
One of the keys on our 1999 tore.

Called ZipDee.. excellent service! Sent new KEY strip. After first one, replaced all but the long one on curb side.. will tackle soon
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a "key strip"?

Thanks!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2017, 01:22 PM   #4
cwf
Rivet Master
 
cwf's Avatar
 
1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 6,392
Images: 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hans627 View Post
Please excuse my ignorance, but what is a "key strip"?

Thanks!
Howdy!
The KEY strip (I will call it "key" for less typing) attaches the ZD (ZipDee) to the roof of the trailer. Rather than having a metal to metal hinge or other type of mount/attachment/key that will be noisy and be prone to leak and possible cause of stress on Airstream shell, ZD uses a high quality fabric for the key.

These are exposed to all the roof nastiness.. heat, rain, snow...birds, etc.. so eventually it fails. That causes the ZD to become detached from the Airstream with unpredictable results.

Our Airstream is a 1999.... so... 18 years of service..

There are 2 basic widths... the smaller for the small awnings and larger for big ones. ZD will walk you thru the process of determining the width and length for your AS.
__________________
Peace and Blessings..
Channing
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:42 AM   #5
Rivet Master
 
Hans627's Avatar

 
2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Hanover , Pennsylvania
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 2,286
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwf View Post
Howdy!
The KEY strip (I will call it "key" for less typing) attaches the ZD (ZipDee) to the roof of the trailer. Rather than having a metal to metal hinge or other type of mount/attachment/key that will be noisy and be prone to leak and possible cause of stress on Airstream shell, ZD uses a high quality fabric for the key.

These are exposed to all the roof nastiness.. heat, rain, snow...birds, etc.. so eventually it fails. That causes the ZD to become detached from the Airstream with unpredictable results.

Our Airstream is a 1999.... so... 18 years of service..

There are 2 basic widths... the smaller for the small awnings and larger for big ones. ZD will walk you thru the process of determining the width and length for your AS.
Thanks for the explanation. I now know!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Replacement belt line vinyl strip Beautiful 85 Exterior Restoration Forum 3 06-27-2012 11:16 PM
Airstream 1/2 in vinyl replacement strip switaj2 General Repair Forum 1 06-16-2009 06:03 PM
Trouble with replacement glazing strip Jacob D. Windows & Screens 5 11-09-2006 02:32 PM
To strip or not to strip. That is the question. mjmcwhorte Cabinets, Counter Tops & Furnishings 2 01-16-2006 08:10 AM
Water inlet key replacement Road Ruler Fresh Water Systems 7 09-03-2002 09:07 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.



All times are GMT -6. The time now is 10:15 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2021, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.