Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2012, 05:06 PM   #1
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
Instructions for mounting Zip Dee awnings

I picked up a set of 3 Zip Dee awnings. They were removed from a 1991 AS that was being modified. Unfortunately they did not save the mounting hardware. One of the rafters was lost as well.

I will need to shorten the awnings by 2 feet but the links to the instructions for installing the Zip Dee awnings seem to be broken or Zip Dee has removed them from their web page.

I am looking for a PDF/JPG of the instruction manual for installing Zip Dee awnings. If anyone has a copy would you post it?

I am also looking for some of the mounting hardware and the rafter. I will post in the wanted area.

Thanks in advance for your help.
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:09 PM   #2
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I would contact ZipDee for the install instructions. You can check with them for parts also. Out of Doors Mart has most of the hardware on their site:
Zip Dee : Out-of-Doors Mart!, More Airstream Parts on-line than anyone!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 05:20 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Commerce , Texas
D a search on youtube. Video is much better than written directions.

billymyers56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 04:33 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1976 29' Ambassador
Madison , Officially SD but are traveling full time.
The video answers some questions I had about attaching the awning to the AS. There is one critical measurement that they gave (mount the hinge 71.5 inches from the rail) but they did not give any information about the point on the hinge that should be 71.5 inches from the rail (top of hinge, upper screw hole, hinge bolt, bottom of hinge, etc). A set of instructions for 1989 and older awnings is posted in this awnings section but I don't see any instructions for awnings that were built after 1989. I suspect there are other measurements but so far I have not seen a set of instructions that give me any more than the video.
Eagle & Bear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2012, 06:11 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle & Bear View Post
but they did not give any information about the point on the hinge that should be 71.5 inches from the rail (top of hinge, upper screw hole, hinge bolt, bottom of hinge, etc).
That would be the center of the hinge or the point of the triangular hinge. Which should be the same as the hinge pin.

Zip Dee has been very cooperative with answering questions and sending instructions

There are more threads on this subject in the archives.
Old 11-10-2012, 06:13 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1982 28' Airstream 280
Port Angeles , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle & Bear View Post
The video answers some questions I had about attaching the awning to the AS. There is one critical measurement that they gave (mount the hinge 71.5 inches from the rail) but they did not give any information about the point on the hinge that should be 71.5 inches from the rail (top of hinge, upper screw hole, hinge bolt, bottom of hinge, etc). A set of instructions for 1989 and older awnings is posted in this awnings section but I don't see any instructions for awnings that were built after 1989. I suspect there are other measurements but so far I have not seen a set of instructions that give me any more than the video.
The instructions I have show that the 71.5" measurement is to the hinge bolt. I cut down 3 awnings for my coach so if you run into anyting else feel free to ask.

Cheers, Dan
Smartstream is offline   Reply With Quote