Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-20-2005, 01:23 PM   #1
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
Great Zip-Dee Service

The awning rod for my new Classic was bent too close to the end; there was barely 1/4" to hook in the wheels, release the travel latch, or pull the strap. The little red cover on the end disintegrated immediately since there was no rod inside of most of its length. If I hadn't had my little 3-step ladder along, I probably could not have opened the awnings on our maiden trip.

I just got off the phone with Zip-Dee. All it took was a name and an address and there will be a new awning rod on the way today. I like that kind of service.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 02:52 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
Glad to hear that... Due to my recent fridge issue, I found out really quick that Dometic was a nightmare in customer service.

Wish AS would set some parameters with their suppliers, such that a minimum standard or criteria for customer service was required as a condtion to be used on the A/S. It should be a privilege for some of these suppliers to be shipping as OEM equipement, as this is big easy revenue for them. They in turn should commit to A/S that they will conduct their customer service in the same standards as A/S. After all, the consumer takes their experience as a whole most the time, and does not sperate A/S issues with "dometic" or other brand issues.

Just my 2 cents...

Kevin
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 03:02 PM   #3
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1968 17' Caravel
2005 30' Safari
Somewhere , roaming America
I broke an awning support rod hook at the International Rally. We had a similar experience as John when we called Zip-Dee for help... class act. I just posted that in today's blog this morning!

http://www.airstreamlife.com/vintage...underblog.html

rluhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 03:08 PM   #4

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
I've dealt with Dometic regarding my issues with my Penguin on my '01 Safari and issues with the thermostat on my Classic. In both cases I found the tech support was very good. In both cases they supplied me with additional documentation that went beyond the information supplied by Airstream.

I also have had contact with the head of CATCON who makes the system monitor panel. He was very helpful in explaining much of how that monitor works but also sent me a replacement unit overnight when I notified them about a burnt out LED on my panel.

It's unfortunate that you run into some folks who forget that in our eyes, they are the company.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 03:17 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2008 27' International FB
1964 19' Globetrotter
1955 26' Cruiser Overlander
Austin , Texas
jcanavera,

Hmm - I wonder if the Heating/Cooling group is different from their fridge group.

I went to the "authorized" dometic service center yesterday. The techs their told me they are required to do a 3 hour test on the unit before any warranty work is done. Even if they find an issue, they are required to call the "dealer line" tech support for directions on what to do next. They end up on hold for an hour here, an hour there. Pretty non-productive. If they are "authorized", then that facility should be empowered to repair and/or replace what is needed per an agreed guideline. But instead, Dometic likes to tie up the techs time, service bay and customers time for them to "agree" with a diagnosis, or a plan of action.

Kevin
Bambi_Bandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2005, 03:57 PM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bambi_Bandit
jcanavera,

Hmm - I wonder if the Heating/Cooling group is different from their fridge group.

If they are "authorized", then that facility should be empowered to repair and/or replace what is needed per an agreed guideline. But instead, Dometic likes to tie up the techs time, service bay and customers time for them to "agree" with a diagnosis, or a plan of action.

Kevin
The only actual service I have ever had was on a Duo-Therm airconditioner that was on my SOB. This was in the mid 90's so I'm not sure if Dometic owned Duo-Therm at that time. My problem was the fan was shutting down but the compressor continued to run. I was down in Destin Fla., and the authorized servicer did free campground visits one day a week. He came over, I showed him my warranty papers, and after checking the unit out, declared that it was a bad control board and replaced it. It ran fine for 3 days and froze up again. He came back out on the following week on the campground visit day, and replaced the thermostat. Problem was solved, no charges, no authorization calls required.

Sounds like Dometic doesn't trust their servicers. No doubt it may be warranted if they've been burned on shoddy diagnosis work. Not good for the customer though.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote