Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-18-2006, 08:41 AM   #1
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Full or partial awnings

Hello troops,
I'm considering an ZipDee for the curb side (for tempature controll) on my 28 footer. Should I go with a full length or 2 partial awnings for the forward and bedroom windows.

What are your thoughts and experiences!

Made in the shade,

Michael
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:52 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Vernon , British Columbia
Awning

We have a full length awning on a 30'. Way too long, very hard to work with. Should have been shorter with a small awning over the bedroom window. Just our opinion.

Ron/Jan
ronpovey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 08:58 AM   #3
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Thumbs up Awning

Well, not to be contrary, but we have the full length on our 345 and we love it. It cools the unit down a lot in the hot sun and gives a large shady area to sit around in. It is really surprising how much awnings help when the sun is really hot.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:00 AM   #4
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
We have the single long awning along that side on ours. I like it--only one battle to engage when setting up or taking down. I'd still opt for that-also because of the long continuous shade and really cool appearance. I'd not like the single small unless it were one of the simple pull outs such as we have on the street side (2). Again, sharing my opinion
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:09 AM   #5

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
We added a streetside awning on our '01 Safari and also went through the two awning or one decision. Cost difference was minimal so we decided to go with one awning to help cut down on the heat gain on that side of the trailer. We always felt that the A/C unit was marginal in very hot weather so anything that could shade the trailer would be a benefit. It was very easy to operate, not more than pulling down a strap and placing it around a hook which is mounted on the side of the trailer. Nothing like pulling out the curb side awning.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:18 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2001 34' Limited S/O
Moyock , North Carolina
Mine is a 34' with two awnings one 14' and the other 8'. They are easy to use and can be left out even when the wind pipes up.
Past President Tidewater Unit 111
Rick Bell in "Silverbell"
Tarheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 10:57 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1963 26' Overlander
1989 34' Excella
Johnsburg , Illinois
Curbside awning

If you are the social type, get a big one. Good place to set around and talk in the shade. Also less heat gain to the trailer. Also a good place to set up the picnic table and outside cooking if you are just the family. I would not leave it out if you are leaving the area for more than several hours. Wind in some parts of the country can rip them up, even with tie downs.
dwightdi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:02 AM   #8
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Our traailer came with the long patio awning curbside. We added full awnings all around. We had it done at the Zip Dee factory in the Chicago area. We asked for their opinion on how best to do it.... one long, one short, two short, one extra long... whatever! They suggested strongly we have two on the curbside! One from in front of the front window to slightly past the refigerator, and another for the back window. This way the refrigerator was shaded but not the closet area. Apparently shading the fridge area makes it more efficient. Went with their expertise and opinion, and been very happy. I forget at what point it is that travel locks traffic side are recommended, but do be sure to get those and install them! One of life's sickening feelings is driving down the road and watching the awning try to deploy!
The window awnings are much easier to use than the patio ones and well worth the investment!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 01-18-2006, 12:06 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
I had the long awning on the street side and I agree that it helped to keep the interior heat down by keeping the sun off the windows/siding. I never entertained outside the trailer on that side because the awning did not extend far enough out and that was usually the power/water supply/sewer side.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 12:46 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

2005 28' International CCD
Las Cruces , New Mexico
We have the standard long awning on the curbside, and two shorter ones on the street side. I would have liked to have had a single long one on the street side, but large awnings are a big no-no in really windy places, like the entire state of New Mexico.

We have only one serious dent in our rig, but it came from someone else's awning. We were parked at Oshkosh for the big fly-in last year. A thunderstorm blew up one evening, and everyone who had a big awning out lost it. One of those blew into the side of our Airstream. So we've been a bit careful with the big awning on the curbside ever since.
AgZep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 03:59 PM   #11

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedars
They suggested strongly we have two on the curbside! One from in front of the front window to slightly past the refigerator, and another for the back window. This way the refrigerator was shaded but not the closet area. Apparently shading the fridge area makes it more efficient. Elizabeth in Iowa
That pretty much how we planned for two awnings also. It just ended up that we were concerned enough about trying to minimize the sun exposure that we went with the full length.

The important thing to understand is that the full length awning on the street side is just a window awning and nothing like the curbside patio awning. You are going to shade the windows and some of the trailer but you aren't going to sit out under it for shade or to stay out of the rain. The nice thing is that if the heavy weather comes in, its a quick roll up since you have no adjustments to make on the arms. Just unhook the strap and hang on to it while it rolls up. You obviously can roll one up faster than having to do two.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 05:22 PM   #12
_

. , .
nothing says airstream and rv livin' like awnings!

hi michael and others

big fan of awnings here.....the more the better. the older cloth options were more fun with the big blue/white stripes or the multi stipe versions from the 70's. the solid colors used now are ok....just not as fun looking.

someone here posted pics of the short single window style they'd recently added and they looked very sharp on the vintage coach....now who was that....moderators???

the longer streetside one does offer more "shade value" and fewer holes for support arms....i like the look on mine with 2 (one long/one short) instead of 3 shorter ones.

i do like the 5 awnings that come on the long trailers....lots of good reasons to have them or add them....and folks considering sobs often don't factory this cost item.

for me opening them is just part of setting up, like plugs and jacks, so i deploy all but the biggie every time i overnight....

cheers
2air'
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	awnings.jpg
Views:	194
Size:	191.5 KB
ID:	17753   Click image for larger version

Name:	finished product 3.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	186.1 KB
ID:	17754  

2airishuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 06:34 PM   #13
Tramp Streamer
Commercial Member

1995 28' Excella
Artist , at Large
Thanks for all your expert help, now I just need the money!
ArtStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 08:33 PM   #14
Rivet Master

1986 25' Sovereign
Southern Middle , Tennessee
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidz71
I had the long awning on the street side and I agree that it helped to keep the interior heat down by keeping the sun off the windows/siding. I never entertained outside the trailer on that side because the awning did not extend far enough out and that was usually the power/water supply/sewer side.
I forgot to mention that during a rainstorm without much wind, it is nice to keep the short awning out and leave the windows open for ventilation if not using the AC or boondocking.

AIR #0078
'01 2500hd ext. cab, 8.1 litre gas, 5 sp. Allison auto
3.73 rear end
Mag-Hytec rear diff cover
Amsoil Dual by-pass oil filtration system
Amsoil synthetics all around
265 watt AM Solar, Inc. system
davidz71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2006, 08:56 PM   #15
Rivet Master

I have a full length awning, but on a 25' coach that is a relative term.

The only time I have ever deployed it was to see if I could. I have been strongly tempted to remove it as it is just so much dead weight to haul around.

Mark
Old 01-28-2006, 11:19 AM   #16
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
I have a long curbside awning with the blue and white stripes on my 31' Excella 500, and it has made it from last May to now with a "Tropical Room" enclosure attached. (Pictures in my gallery.) I am removing the screens today to put them into storage until the windy weather in Feb. to April passes.

I love my big awning, but it is troublesome. A couple of weeks ago, I woke up to a thunderstorm and the sound of the awning flapping. Oh, oh! Been there, repaired that! I rushed outside, dropped the screens in place, and rolled up the main awning. One of the problems with a long awning is that the roller will sag in the middle. The standard method of adjustment is to find a little fellow and let him hang in the middle to straighten it out. Once this is done, the awning retracts fine . . . for a while. That's my only gripe with this 20' 6 3/4" awning however.

If buying new, I would go with a 2/3's awning on the curbside and put a window awning over the bedroom window. The streetside full length awning works great, and it's easy to take up and down.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 02:22 PM   #17
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
You can add a center rafter to the awning that is easy to do! Call Zip Dee and price the parts needed. Pretty cheap if I remember correctly.... we did it on the long patio awning on our 83, 31 footer!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 01-28-2006, 02:54 PM   #18
Round on both ends

1979 31' Excella 500
1975 28' Argosy 28
Rutledge , Georgia
Hi, Elizabeth,

It's got the center rafter. In fact the flapping sound comes from the fabric slapping on that center strut.

Lamar
2003 Dodge 2500 Cummins "TowHog"
"Lucy Loosehair" the cat - Airstream mascot
Klaatu barada nikto
SafeHarbor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2006, 03:42 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2003 25' Safari
Kissimmee , Florida
Our 25 has the standard curb side, full length, awning. I find it a hassle to deploy and stow, so we only use it occasionally when we are camped for awhile at the same place.
Old 01-28-2006, 04:02 PM   #20
Contributing Member

2018 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Austin (Hays County) , Texas
I'm surprised

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmac
Our 25 has the standard curb side, full length, awning. I find it a hassle to deploy and stow, so we only use it occasionally when we are camped for awhile at the same place.
I found the full-length awnings on the 25 and now the 28 easy to deploy or stow and I'm 73. I much prefer the full length awning to a long and a short awning.

In our southern clime, the more shade, the better the trailer cools. For that reason, I will open the big awning even on an overnight if that is the sunny side of the trailer. I especially like the rear window awning which helps cool the bedroom where the AC doesn't readh well.
WBCCI #9632
Pahaska is offline   Reply With Quote