Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-21-2002, 01:47 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Found new A&E awning

sans hardware at a buddy of mine's shop. It's still in the box and it is the exact length of the Carefree awning on my 72 'bassador. It was up in storage and looks to be in mint condition and I would guess it to be less than 3 years old. I would like to use it sometime in the near future, is there any way to make it work with my existing arms or do I need to get all new hardware? What is an 18' awning/tube cost, or more to the point, what can I expect to pay for new hardware?
Sorry if there are better places to ask this question.
Dave-O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 06:31 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Found New A & E Awning

Greetings Dave!

I am not certain that I am interpreting your post correctly, but if you have found just the awning material, what you are considering may be possible. The attachment method on the side of the coach for the awning fabric would essentially be identical, and from all appearances the way the fabric attaches to the roller tube on the A & E and Carefree appear to be very similar.

If what you are wanting to do is install an A & E roller tube and awning on your Carefree arms, you are likely headed for trouble as the attaching methodologies are quite different. If the A & E that was on my Overlander is any evidence, the methods for the roller tubes are very different based on compairson with one of my friend's Carefrees on a 1968 Sovereign.

I think that if you are considering switching to a complete A & E system, you will likely be disappointed. When I spoke with the A & E representative, I was advised that the awning arms are no longer available for any Airstream products more than 10 years old.

I finally gave up trying to save my old A & E Travel Awn 5,000 - - but not until I had spent nearly 1/2 the price of a new Zip Dee awning. I now have Zip Dees on the curbside as well as window awnings for the bathroom and bedroom.

Good luck in finding a solution to your awning dilemma.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 07:23 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
, Michigan
A&E Awning

Hi,

I had a new A&E 9000 Awning on my 1969 Airstream Overlander in 1997. I had it installed by Woodland RV, the Airstream Dealer in Grand Rapids Michichigan. It fit's and works fine. Sounds like A&E has dropped the required hardware since then.

Jim
JW84345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 07:36 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Found new A & E Awning

Greetings Jim!

I spoke with the A & E Representative at the 1998 WBCCI Rally in Boise, ID. That was the beginning of my efforts to restore the A & E awning on my rig, but just couldn't keep ahead of failing parts - - and the final straw was when the main awning tension spring assembly failed for the second time and one of the awning arms developed a structural crack not to mention that the awning fabric failed that same trip (2001).

I miss having the originality - - when I look back in the old family photo albums and see the Overlander with its 1963 Mercury Breezeway sedan tow car siting in the cottage's front yard with the green and white awning extended.

I hope that your A & E awning serves you well for as many years as mine did.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2002, 08:15 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Thanks Kevin

You saved me a lot of unnecessary effort and expense.
I'm not ready to dump my old carefree, but this one is a gray and white stripe that appeals to me more than my turquoise colored one. My first choice is of course a Zip Dee, but this one was free and I was looking to save a little cash. i think I will just hold off a bit. I have more pressing issues at the moment with the running gear. Thanks again.
-Dave
Dave-O is offline   Reply With Quote