Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-02-2019, 11:13 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Spokane , Washington
Fiamma Awning Recall

Why isn't Airstream involved with this recall? A friend of mine pulled up in a brand new 2020 Pleasure Way 19' with dealer installed straps on his awning. Airstream??

Below is an excerpt from the recall....

Pleasure Way is recalling certain 2018 to 2020 Plateau, Plateau XL, Ascent and Lexor motorhomes equipped with a Fiamma F45 Eagle or Fiamma F65 Eagle awning. The awning drive mechanism may fail causing the awning to extend unexpectedly without input from the user.

Pleasure Way will notify owners, and dealers will install straps to keep the awning closed, as a temporary solution, free of charge. Fiamma will provide a permanent solution. Pleasure Way issued owners an interim notification on Oct. 7. Owners may contact Pleasure Way customer service at 1-800-364-0189.

Potential number of units affected: 1,148
1919 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2019, 11:55 PM   #2
4 Rivet Member

2020 27' Globetrotter
2019 Interstate Lounge Ext
Jackson Hole - Tetons , Wyoming
“Why isn’t Airstream initiating / participating in this Fiamma recall?”

I’m uncertain.

On our almost new 2016 Interstate, my wife noticed our Fiamma awning unfurling while we were traveling down the highway near our home in Jackson (hole) Wyoming.

This isn’t a fresh new problem.

Obviously, with the terrible Fiamma workplace shooting, and the transition away from Fiamma to the new awning perhaps ...
ScottP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 08:44 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Sherman Oaks , California
FWIW we finally gave up on the awning and had it replaced with a manual one. For over a year we drove around with the fuse removed which also meant we couldn't use the step either. Now we have a manual awning that won't open on us when unexpected and it always retracts. No more having to pull a camp picnic table over so I can retract it manually. Hooray we have the step back. Shame on Airstream for never replacing it. They kept replacing the plastic part that was the issue.
OhThePlaces is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 11:41 AM   #4
1 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Arizona
I'm a new (2 months) owner of a 2014 AI EXT and just had my awning deploy while driving. It was not a fun afternoon. Luckily nobody or other vehicles were injured or damaged, but the awning was destroyed and my vehicle suffered some damage.

Can you share why you think a manual version is a better solution? I was under the impression that the plastic mechanical component is present in the manual version also. Is this not the case?

I'm in the process of investigating whether I can claim this on my insurance and get it replaced. I'd like to have a better solution and some peace of mind this won't happen again.
AZDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 04:12 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Indianola , Iowa
Has anyone removed their awning altogether? Would make it easier to add a roof rack...
nateallen80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 07:06 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
One of the Admins has been moving the awning discussions from Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum

. . .to this obscure subforum:
Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings

Please stop doing this as these awning threads have NOTHING to do with Exterior Restoration and will get lost to other Interstate and B-van owners.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 06:24 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

Sherman Oaks , California
You bring up a good point about confidence. Our automated awning seemed to get bad signals which would cause ours to deploy. We went under a tree and a pinecone fell on it and it started to deploy. Our gardner once bumped the top with a ladder and so while it was parked in the driveway, it started to deploy. And once the plastic knuckle stripped, it wouldn't retract without my manual intervention. Then you have to remove the fuse which means you lose all warning alarms and the step.

The manual awning is not an easy chore to roll out or roll in, so it just doesn't start deploying on a whim. But, I have thought I would get a few velcro ties and wrap it for long trips. But then again, we just went from Los Angeles, CA to Ketchum, ID and back through Utah without any issue. And, it was last week when Utah had those terrible wind storms of 70 mph. Snug as a bug.
OhThePlaces is offline   Reply With Quote