Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-24-2008, 11:53 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Apple Valley, CA , California
EZ AWN by Atlas Enterprises???

Just bought a 66' AS Safari. It has an EZ AWN by Atlas Enterprises. It may need a spring and defineitly needs new fabric, I did a Google search did not find anything. Called the 714 985 2763 number its diconected. Is the Company still around? Where they bought out? can I still get the fabric from somewhere else? And, how do I test the spring?
Thanks!

max7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:33 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
EZ AWN by Atlas Enterprises???

Greetings Max7!

Welcome to the Forums!

While I can't say this with great certainty, I wonder if EZ Awn may have been acquired by A & E as the arms certainly look like those utilized on the A & E Travel Awn series. There is also some similarity to Carefree of Colorado, but, to me, the resemblance favors the A & E Travel Awn Series.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 12:42 PM   #3
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I think it looks a lot like an A&E also. A&E is Dometic and you may want to contact them for parts. As far as the fabric, you might want to contact Sunbrella since they make tons of awning fabric.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:01 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
From what I have heard they are out of business and parts are not available. Maybe other parts can be jury rigged. I think a good upholstery guy could make another canopy work. I have a EZ Awn and a new canopy (Carefree). If you can figure out a way to get it from New Mexico.I can't give it away but can sell cheap. I don't know anything about the mechanical condition, but it looks OK.

If I remember right the canopy is about 15' wide. It can be shipped and boxed easy. I will sell that for $50 plus shipping which is what I paid for it.
Old 02-24-2008, 01:06 PM   #5
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Take a good look on the arms and the fabric....once fully extnded to see if you can find some type of model or serial #. If it is a Dometic (A & E) product, they will need this # to be able to help.

Your photo might also be of some benefit.

If you can't find a # on the awning anwhere, it might be helpful to remove the awning spring to see how it is configured. I am a dealer for Carefree, A & E, Zip-Dee and Girard Systems, so if you can get me a shot of the spring with some dimensions, I might be able to secure a replacement for you that will function properly and still fit inside the roller tube.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 01:51 PM   #6
DFK
2 Rivet Member

Thanks for starting up this thread. My Caravel came with an EZ AWN. It works okay but needs some maintenance and eventually will need new material. I have been searching for info on the EZ AWN for a year or two without much success. There are a couple of threads in the archives that mention the EZ AWN but generally in the form of an inquiry rather than providing information. Lots of speculation about what who they are now. I have heard that the EZ AWN awning was sold through the Wally Byam Catalogue and that A&E Dometic either purchased them or was a successor business.

I have checked the dometic site but could find no useful information or parts. I would sure like to find a copy of the EZ Awn manual if one exists.

I have have spent sometime considering my set up. I don't think it would be difficult to replace the material, but it looks to me like it would require that the ends or one at least one end of the roller be removed. These appear to be riveted on. The fabric on mine is looking grim but I have been reluctant to disassemble mine while it is till working for fear I would break something that can't be replaced. Disassembly will have to wait until I can find a manual or better information about how the roller works or until it breaks or the fabric tears at which time I will have nothing to lose. If you have any success finding more information or decide to diassemble the roller please share your findings.

By the way, nice looking trailer.
DFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 04:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Every other awning manufacturer (with the exception of Zip-Dee) requires you to remove an end cap from the roller tube to replace the fabric. In fact, new replacment fabric is always packaged with the appropriate size and # of rivets to accomplish the job.

Please note that this must be done with the return spring inside the roller tube de-tensioned! These springs are very powerful and great care should be taken when dealing with them as serious injury WILL RESULT if you are unfamiliar with the process!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2008, 05:52 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
IIRC, EZ Awn was marketed excusively through the Wally Byam Store. Our '63 had an EZ Awn as well. Fabric for an A&E will fit with some modification, but the other odds and ends you will have to get creative with.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:40 AM   #9
DFK
2 Rivet Member

Lew,

Thanks for the heads up on the roller spring and he information about the rivets. I usually think of rivets as being permanent fastenings and so was puzzled by their use on the end caps. It is helpful to know that it is customary on some awning to remove and reinstall riveted end caps when the fabric is being replaced.

With regard to the springs, that was my main concern about disassembling the roller-safely detensioning and retensioning the springs. In the event I decide to disassemble the roller, I will seek professional advice. My other concern of course was being able to put all the parts back in their proper location and not breaki something. Thanks again.
DFK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2008, 08:08 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

1965 20' Globetrotter
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Apple Valley, CA , California
Thanks for all the Info and thoughts just got back from Vegas and read all this. Thanks Again! I will call Dometic.
max7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 12:09 PM   #11
1 Rivet Member

1966 26' Overlander
1970 31' Sovereign
1971 25' Tradewind
Southwest , US
Quote:
Originally Posted by lewster View Post
Take a good look on the arms and the fabric....once fully extnded to see if you can find some type of model or serial #. If it is a Dometic (A & E) product, they will need this # to be able to help.

Your photo might also be of some benefit.

If you can't find a # on the awning anwhere, it might be helpful to remove the awning spring to see how it is configured. I am a dealer for Carefree, A & E, Zip-Dee and Girard Systems, so if you can get me a shot of the spring with some dimensions, I might be able to secure a replacement for you that will function properly and still fit inside the roller tube.

Have a 1971 Tradewind that lost a Travel Awn 5000 roller and awning. Serial # is 158730. How best to locate a replacement?

Any help appreciated....
alexsany is offline   Reply With Quote