Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-23-2015, 07:59 AM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by gecko View Post
We have a small hole in our ZipDee--just about in the center, up against the trailer. The hole is about 1/4" , and almost perfectly round. Any suggestions for a patch for something that small?
I discovered this product when improving and repairing a pair of Keen "wetfoot" portaging boots. It is designed for wet fabric applications and works very well. I had abrasion holes on the sides of these neoprene boots and sealed and patched the abrasion areas with a layer of Aquaseal and it held up for over 5 years...and that is while being used in further stone abrasion activities. I have since used it on many fabric applications with success. I have used it on one small abrasion hole on the Zip Dee and haven't looked back. (patched about 3 years ago)

McNett Aquaseal Urethane Repair Adhesive and Sealant 3 4oz | eBay

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:24 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Any Sporting Goods store will have tent seam sealer which works like a charm.
Ahab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 08:46 AM   #23
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Biloxi , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by lsbrodsky View Post
but there is no point in leaving it deployed for an extended time while it is raining.
Larry
As long as the wind is not a factor I rather enjoy sitting out under my awning during rain showers.

Do you know what a learning experience is? A learning experience is one of those things that says "You know that thing that you just did? Don't do that."
AWCHIEF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:09 AM   #24
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

I left awning out in heavy rain storm in Indiana, no wind lowered one corner rain ran off no damage rain was so heavy washed out part of paved race track. I also leave out same way if no wind when raining, makes out doors useable.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:10 AM   #25
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB International
Trent Woods , North Carolina
I admit that I have enjoyed sitting under the awning in the rain, as well. That does not mean that it is the best way to treat Sunbrella, although UV abuses the fabric more. You just have to accept that the awning fabric is a consumable, even if you do not do major damage to it.
Larry
lsbrodsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 09:59 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
I discovered this product when improving and repairing a pair of Keen "wetfoot" portaging boots. It is designed for wet fabric applications and works very well. I had abrasion holes on the sides of these neoprene boots and sealed and patched the abrasion areas with a layer of Aquaseal and it held up for over 5 years...and that is while being used in further stone abrasion activities. I have since used it on many fabric applications with success. I have used it on one small abrasion hole on the Zip Dee and haven't looked back. (patched about 3 years ago)

McNett Aquaseal Urethane Repair Adhesive and Sealant 3 4oz | eBay
Thanks. To what color did it dry? Did it yellow over time?

We've been using a similar substance from Murray's Marine for years for small sail repairs. It's extremely durable, and flexes a little bit when dry. It goes in clear, but it yellows in UV after a fairly short time.
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2015, 10:05 AM   #27
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Thanks. To what color did it dry? Did it yellow over time?

We've been using a similar substance from Murray's Marine for years for small sail repairs. It's extremely durable, and flexes a little bit when dry. It goes in clear, but it yellows in UV after a fairly short time.
It's clear and colorless. no significant yellowing over time.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 12:57 PM   #28
4 Rivet Member

2009 28' International
Pacific Palisades , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
It's clear and colorless. no significant yellowing over time.
Thanks very much!
gecko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 03:14 PM   #29
The Sign Lady

1969 23' Safari
1974 Argosy 22
1964 24' Tradewind
Victoria , British Columbia
Quote:
We have a small hole in our ZipDee--just about in the center, up against the trailer. The hole is about 1/4" , and almost perfectly round. Any suggestions for a patch for something that small?
I just bought some clear awning repair tape at my local auto parts store, But if you want to buy online I saw that they also sell it at Vintage trailer Supply. When doing any patches, round the corners out with scissors and it will hold up much longer
thesignlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2015, 04:12 PM   #30
cwf
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Hillsboro , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by AWCHIEF View Post
Remember the old canvas tents? They were water proof until you touched them and then they leaked like a sieve.
Yeah... Reach over when your buddy ain't looking and touch the canvas... Drop drip.....
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote