Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-13-2017, 05:20 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

1973 25' Tradewind
1962 22' Safari
Augusta , Georgia
DIY Awning Canopy/Cloth - Details Needed.

I have '73 25-foot TW with original awning hardware (A&E/Carefree). I have friend that does canvas/sail repair so we are going to sew new awning with material I got of eBay. Lots of good deals there if you don't have a color preference.

1) What is the finished width of the awning on airstream? Based upon an old post in classifieds I'm thinking 7'-9". Think spring tension/pre-loading is important parameter here with the final width.

2) What is preferred method for the long ends that attach to awning rail and roller tube? The old awning had a bolt rope sewed in - similar to sails on sailboats. The picture in the old classified post uses a plastic support tube. I kinda like the plastic tubing as the awning doesn't get removed like sails do. I also have access to heavy wall plastic tubing that I think would work.

Old classified post with reference pictures of plastic tube and size reference:
http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/...h-curved-arms/
DGJackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2017, 09:20 PM   #2
1977 31' Excella 500

1977 31' Excella 500
Dallas , Texas
Go to sailrite.com. watch their videos on YouTube.
Jack Moore is offline   Reply With Quote