Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2017, 07:37 PM   #41
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
1978 31' Sovereign
Akron , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
I pur. springs complete w/end caps from carefree dealer. The dif. is the part that slips into top end of arm now goes over the end of arm. This same set up as sunsetter awnings and I believe they are now same co. with carefree
Hey fetherbedder - do you have a part number for these magical springs from carefree?
dwhitake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 08:10 AM   #42
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhitake View Post
Hey fetherbedder - do you have a part number for these magical springs from carefree?
I pur. new end caps with springs attached at rv dealer that is also care free dealer, at the time I did not get part #. haven't idea of #. I believe only one spring and cap assembly for all care free just as zip-dee has for there long curb side awnings.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 10:15 AM   #43
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
Parts at VTS

I talked to Vintage Trailer Supply and they have just bought a lot of vintage Carefree awning parts but haven't gone thru them yet to figure out what they have. They are more familiar with Dometic and Zip-Dee than with Carefree so I sent them copies of the installation manual and pictures of awnings open and closed for reference.

They also said if there was enough demand they could have replacement springs and end caps made. You might contact them and send a photograph of what you need and when they get time they will go thru what they have and get back with you.
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2017, 11:09 AM   #44
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
1978 31' Sovereign
Akron , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by rvb View Post
I talked to Vintage Trailer Supply and they have just bought a lot of vintage Carefree awning parts but haven't gone thru them yet to figure out what they have. They are more familiar with Dometic and Zip-Dee than with Carefree so I sent them copies of the installation manual and pictures of awnings open and closed for reference.

They also said if there was enough demand they could have replacement springs and end caps made. You might contact them and send a photograph of what you need and when they get time they will go thru what they have and get back with you.

Thanks for the tip. I'll be contacting them shortly
Old 09-19-2017, 04:53 AM   #45
2 Rivet Member

1972 23' Safari
1978 31' Sovereign
Akron , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwhitake View Post
Thanks for the tip. I'll be contacting them shortly
Here is what VTS sent back in the email response regarding Carefree Awnings

"Thanks for your message. Unfortunately, we do not have any Carefree awning parts available for sale at this time. We may at some point in the future, but unfortunately, we are not able to sell any at the moment. I apologize for any inconvenience. Thank you for your business; we appreciate it!"
Old 09-20-2017, 02:57 AM   #46
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
Burlington , North Carolina
Where are you located? I have all of the arm pieces.
Scoobyct12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2017, 07:59 AM   #47
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Wink

Contact carefree. they will help, but the end caps now go over end of arms instead of plugging into arms such as sun setter as I believe now same co. When I pur new awning matl. from care free dealer had small hole contacted carefree very helpful sent new fab, keep other one, as I posted before rv dealers have or can obtain end caps w/springs attached ready to install.
Old 09-21-2017, 05:45 AM   #48
1 Rivet Member

1971 31' Excella 500
Burlington , North Carolina
Awning brackets

I took these off my camper and replaced the awning. I have all the parts but the roller. Still have springs, arms and brackets. Need to sell. Has anyone seen these brackets before? They mount to the floor like the normal ones but at a full piece and mount to the vertical rib. Both arms connect to one bracket. May fix the pulling out of the lower bracket.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20170313_044907.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	161.0 KB
ID:	295279  
Scoobyct12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2017, 07:52 AM   #49
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scoobyct12 View Post
I took these off my camper and replaced the awning. I have all the parts but the roller. Still have springs, arms and brackets. Need to sell. Has anyone seen these brackets before? They mount to the floor like the normal ones but at a full piece and mount to the vertical rib. Both arms connect to one bracket. May fix the pulling out of the lower bracket.
IMO they were custom made as in 54 yrs. of AS ownership have never seen them. They are easily made. Pulling of lower bracket is caused by being lag bolted into edge of plywood floor over time stress and maybe rot they will pull away.
Old 05-09-2020, 04:29 PM   #50
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Bulverde , Texas
Need some photos

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973Argosy View Post
For what it's worth the "90 degree arms that connect to the support arms" should be aluminum that doesn't rust. Your profile also doesn't have your location. You may get more responses if you give a general area where the parts are located. I do have an all original carefree and would be happy to send pictures of any part you feel is missing. The curved arms and the roller assembly are the hard parts to find. The carefree awning is tough as nails and I would suggest repairing what you have verses "upgrading" to an inferior awning setup. Have seen my awning support 8 inches of wet Alabama snow, and I don't retract my awning until the winds top 20mph.
I also am working with 1976 carefree side awning. I don’t believe I have all parts. Looks like I need to retro fit the roller to the side arms. Also need measurements for brackets. I know this is a old post. I hope you can help. I’m restoring a 1976 Argosy. Bulverde Texas.
Espo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2020, 08:30 PM   #51
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Terrell , North Carolina
If someone has a complete and working carefree awning, could you post pictures of all the brackets and the connection to the trailer. Also showing how it locks when not in use as well as how it goes together when in use. I have parts but not 100% sure how everything fits together... thank you very much...this would be a great help!
dhbinkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 06:12 AM   #52
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhbinkley View Post
If someone has a complete and working carefree awning, could you post pictures of all the brackets and the connection to the trailer. Also showing how it locks when not in use as well as how it goes together when in use. I have parts but not 100% sure how everything fits together... thank you very much...this would be a great help!

This might help, it is the install guide for the old Carefree Awnings.

https://vintageairstreamclub.com/wp-...4/Carefree.pdf

https://vintageairstreamclub.com/wp-...ing-spring.pdf

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2020, 11:44 PM   #53
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
Carefree awning pictures and descriptions.

Here are pictures of:
1. the stowage clip which is an angle on the roof at the front and rear of the awning that the tabs on the end of the roller fit over when stowed.
2 & 3 Pictures of the awning arm and roller attachement
4. Picture of a trailers with Carefree awnings showing horizontal brace
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Awning Stowage Clip.JPG
Views:	160
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	368473   Click image for larger version

Name:	airstream-1.jpg
Views:	104
Size:	39.5 KB
ID:	368476  

Attached Images

Old 05-21-2020, 11:51 PM   #54
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
Carefree awning picture and horizontal bracket

Here are pictures of:
5. Picture of another trailer showing horizontal brace location.
6. Drawing of the 2 part horizontal arm bracket that attaches to the body mid way up the trailer. I don't have pictures but remember the configuration so drew this. It is adjustable in and out to set the arm vertical to the body with a vertical bolt thru it to lock the parts together. There is a sliding latch piece that fits in the main arm and slides down over the top of this piece when the arm is closed that locks the arm in closed position. I also drilled thru the horizontal arm and main arm behind this bracket and put a pin thru to firmly lock the arm closed during travel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	IMG_3274.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	278.3 KB
ID:	368478  
Attached Files
File Type: pdf travel hook-arm bracket.pdf (4.6 KB, 41 views)
Old 05-23-2020, 09:41 PM   #55
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Bulverde , Texas
Do you still have any parts?
Old 05-24-2020, 08:41 AM   #56
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Bulverde , Texas
I know this an old post but did you retrieve your trashed curved awning? I’m looking for some parts.
Old 05-24-2020, 11:57 AM   #57
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Awning parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Espo View Post
I know this an old post but did you retrieve your trashed curved awning? I’m looking for some parts.
Espo, If you want to contact Scoobyct12 as to if he still has the awning he removed from his trailer (post #48 above) Just go to that post and click the quote button. Then click enter key twice and start a new post from you to them which will refer them back to that post. As time goes by may parts are either stored or scrapped. I hope they still have what you want. Hope this helps, let me know if it does. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 08:02 PM   #58
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Terrell , North Carolina
Thanks for the pictures rvb and Damon! I'm still trying to figure out the stowage clips on the top...the pic with the awning open looks like there are 2 u shaped clips that the tube locks into, I'll need to play and see how they fit.
dhbinkley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2020, 11:02 PM   #59
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
Top tabs and locking hardware

The "H bracket on the roof does two things. It screws over the awning rail and the screw locks the fabric in place so it is aligned properly and it provides something for awning tube to stop against. It's basically an angle with a 1" leg sticking up that the tab on the end of the roller fits over and stops against.

The locking hardware is the "sliding lock" piece that slides inside the main arm and it slides down and fits over the "travel hook" to lock the arm closed as shown in the directions. The sliding lock is about 5" long, slides up inside the main arm and has an aluminum post about an half inch long sticking out as a handle. The instructions also show a locking pin near the bottom of the main arm that goes thru it and the horizontal bracket in stowed position. The directions show it at the bottom of the arm above the lower bracket. Mine was just below the arm brace half way up the body. the PO of mine also drilled another hole just above the upper bracket behind the travel clip and nothing moved when a pin was put there. I could also lock the awning open at about 3' if I attached the upper arm at that location.

If you are missing the travel hook bracket you can fabricate a u shaped piece to attach the center brace to, fold the bracket down behind the main arm at the bottom and just put a pin thru it or use a velcro strap around the arm and the horizontal brace.

One operational thing. When stowed, the horizontal arm is only attached at he body half way up the trailer. The outer end is disconnected from the main arm, folded down and extended so it is behind the lower pivot arm bolt of the main arm and locked there so it is becomes a fixed piece you can tie the main arm to when it is closed.
Old 05-25-2020, 04:39 PM   #60
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Bulverde , Texas
Sir, if you still have parts. I am in need of a travel hook.