Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-19-2017, 09:51 PM   #21
3 Rivet Member

Cerritos , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brad H View Post
Thanks! Guess I was doing it right. Now my next question is if anyone knows where I can get the knob that tightens down. One of mine, the shaft is bent and seems to prevent it from tightening as much as I'd like. The local hardware store had some, but the threads don't match up.

Wish I could pull it out from the carport it's under to try it agian but I'm replacing all the weatherstrip right now on the windows. That's a job in itself! Haha.

Camping world also carries the knobs.
68Streamline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 09:43 AM   #22
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Munising , Michigan
Thanks all. I'll try to look into it better when I get home from work but if anyone knows if these would work, it'll save me a little computer time.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NJ14CG..._xwn-yb6GD6PRS
Brad H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 10:38 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
If memory is rite threads are 1/4 20 [unless prev. owner changed dia.] readily avble. many places or ebay. I use lots of them dif. lengths and size of nobs in wood working hold downs. Use anti seize on threads or lube often as they will rust in place and can break trying to get loose.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2017, 11:15 PM   #24
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Knobs

Quote:
Thanks all. I'll try to look into it better when I get home from work but if anyone knows if these would work, it'll save me a little computer time.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000NJ14CG..._xwn-yb6GD6PRS
Brad, I don't believe that those will work on your older Carefree awning. It appears that the threaded shaft would be too Short for the application on your rails. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2017, 06:51 AM   #25
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
I'm in need of springs or some type of replacement for a 70's Carefree. Mine is the larger tube that has the wound spring not the coil type they used later. Has anyone been able to retro fit a newer style coil to these old parts?

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2017, 12:48 AM   #26
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
springs for Carefree awnings

Quote:
Originally Posted by damonbeals View Post
I'm in need of springs or some type of replacement for a 70's Carefree. Mine is the larger tube that has the wound spring not the coil type they used later. Has anyone been able to retro fit a newer style coil to these old parts?

Damon
Damon, I think you can still buy the older style springs from Carefree of Colorado. It doesn't matter the width of the awning tube as the springs are all the same length if memory serves. Give them a call The sales people there are very helpful. I just wish they still made curved arm awnings for all the folks that now are buying up all the old trailers and looking for the best quality awnings to fit the curved sided coaches. Hope this helps, Ed
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
Old 04-24-2017, 06:51 AM   #27
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
1979 23' Safari
Mooresville , Indiana
I have called Carefree, they where not helpful and just said 'we don't have anything for the old awnings' and offered no other solution. So I'm assuming finding used it going to be my only option. I'm willing to call them again but I don't think they know much about the pre 80's awning systems.

Damon
damonbeals is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 07:16 AM   #28
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
I pur. springs complete w/end caps from carefree dealer. The dif. is the part that slips into top end of arm now goes over the end of arm. This same set up as sunsetter awnings and I believe they are now same co. with carefree
Old 04-25-2017, 04:22 AM   #29
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 26
Columbus , Mississippi
Question...

Good day to all. First thanks so much to all who so willingly give their experiences and opinions on airstreams to this forum. I admit that this is one of my most-read sites on the computer. I rarely if ever make a comment... but, that having been said, ..Featherbedder...You say you got the springs from a carefree dealer..would you mind posting their address ? I, too, need a spring...Thanks for everyone's time.
Back40Rocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:18 AM   #30
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Munising , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52 View Post
Brad, I don't believe that those will work on your older Carefree awning. It appears that the threaded shaft would be too Short for the application on your rails. Ed
Well I got them yesterday and it looks like they are barely going to work with a little thread left over. I haven't had a chance to set it up yet, but thinking it will work, or maybe just hoping
Thanks for the help everyone!
Old 04-26-2017, 07:22 AM   #31
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Back40Rocker View Post
Good day to all. First thanks so much to all who so willingly give their experiences and opinions on airstreams to this forum. I admit that this is one of my most-read sites on the computer. I rarely if ever make a comment... but, that having been said, ..Featherbedder...You say you got the springs from a carefree dealer..would you mind posting their address ? I, too, need a spring...Thanks for everyone's time.
I pur. from local rv dealer. I presumed they were Carefree dealer as they sold parts and complete awnings and installed there rv sales and rvs that were pur. elsewhere. Any rv dealer that sells carefree should be able for parts. If any Q. pm me. Bill
Old 04-26-2017, 10:45 AM   #32
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Carefree parts

Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
I pur. from local rv dealer. I presumed they were Carefree dealer as they sold parts and complete awnings and installed there rv sales and rvs that were pur. elsewhere. Any rv dealer that sells carefree should be able for parts. If any Q. pm me. Bill
I agree with Bill (featherbedder)! Almost all RV shops will have access to and may even stock some Carefree parts to include Old New Stock parts that they have in-stock for many years. I have found parts at several local RV shops as well as the major camping stores. Just be very familiar with the actual part you need so you don't get frustrated by an errant part purchase. Hope this answers your questions, Ed
Old 05-05-2017, 07:05 PM   #33
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Munising , Michigan
Spring adjustment?

Ok, ran into another issue and hoping you all can help. Is there a way to adjust the springs? The side towards the rear of my trailer winds up almost all the way, but then stops about 8 inches shy I would guess. This leaves that last bit of awning not wound tight when it sits against the trailer, but only on the one side. I don't remember it doing this before, but could be wrong.
Old 05-06-2017, 07:50 AM   #34
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Munising , Michigan
Maybe I should try mailing this in!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2162.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	385.5 KB
ID:	284866  
Old 05-06-2017, 08:08 AM   #35
Rivet Master

1973 Argosy 24
hartselle , Alabama
Brad,
It sounds to me that you need to tighten the internal wind on the springs. I have run into your problem when changing out the fabric on my awning. Lower the awning, loosen the roller tube connection from the arm on the side of the awning thats loose, then you simply turn the end block with a wrench to get the desired tension. When you think you have spun it tight enough give it two more turns, reassemble and check. Do use caution as the spring can spin the wrench out of your hand. Tightening the springs is a two man job as holding the awning in place is near impossible while turning wrenchs.
1973Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2017, 07:40 AM   #36
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1973Argosy View Post
Brad,
It sounds to me that you need to tighten the internal wind on the springs. I have run into your problem when changing out the fabric on my awning. Lower the awning, loosen the roller tube connection from the arm on the side of the awning thats loose, then you simply turn the end block with a wrench to get the desired tension. When you think you have spun it tight enough give it two more turns, reassemble and check. Do use caution as the spring can spin the wrench out of your hand. Tightening the springs is a two man job as holding the awning in place is near impossible while turning wrenchs.
Zip-dee has instructions on there web site how many turns for springs and I believe carefree also has instructions on web also sunsetter same thing.
Old 05-07-2017, 09:44 AM   #37
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Carefree Awning Manual

Quote:
Ok, ran into another issue and hoping you all can help. Is there a way to adjust the springs? The side towards the rear of my trailer winds up almost all the way, but then stops about 8 inches shy I would guess. This leaves that last bit of awning not wound tight when it sits against the trailer, but only on the one side. I don't remember it doing this before, but could be wrong.
Brad, If you would like a copy of the original Carefree Awning Owners Manual you can PM (Private Message) me your address and I will make you up a copy and mail it to you. It contains all instructions on use and care of your awning and shows you step - by - step how to install and adjust the awning. It also spells out how to correctly wind the spring tension on the roller assembly. If you are interested let me know. Hope this helps, Ed
Old 05-08-2017, 06:37 PM   #38
2 Rivet Member

1974 Argosy 24
Munising , Michigan
Thanks guys, I appreciate all the input. Ed, I make take you up on that. Are you talking about a 3 or 4 page instruction manual? If so, I believe I have that but I'll have to check. I may just keep it as is for now because I'm pretty limited out on my budget for the trailer for this year. I'm afraid that I'll end up either finding out that the tension spring is no good, or break it while I'm trying to tighten it. We have a camping trip planned for memorial weekend and after I get through that, I may try something.
Old 05-08-2017, 10:37 PM   #39
2 Rivet Member

1973 23' Safari
Buffalo , New York
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6032.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	307.9 KB
ID:	285099

Looking for one of these.

The upper part of the latch/lock with teeth for holding the arms in place when the awning is not use. I had one snap off a year ago.

Thinking that I may have to have it fabricated if I can't find one.
DonnyK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 10:16 PM   #40
rvb
4 Rivet Member

1977 Argosy 28
Euless , Texas
There is a 15' carefree awning off of an Airstream listed on the Minneapolis Craigslist for $200 It looks like at least one spring end is broken but the arms are there if anyone is looking for them.

https://minneapolis.craigslist.org/d...226978339.html
rvb is offline   Reply With Quote