Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-05-2020, 01:43 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2017 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Marco Island , Florida
Carefree Awning won't Deploy in 2017 Interstate GT

Just picked up the AI from storage and the awning won't deploy. I opened the door on which the switch is mounted and made sure the connections were tight. i could not find a reference to the location of the fuse which controls the awning. There is a reference to the fuses on the driver side fuse boxes but none are labeled and it appears most relate to the MB side of the vehicle.
Any one know the location of the fuse or possible trouble shooting to get the awning operational? Any assistance would be appreciated.
wildwilly. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2020, 09:39 AM   #2
2 Rivet Member

Marco Island , Florida
Not the fuse

I spoke with Airstream and the problem is not the fuse. The fuse which controls the awning is the one that also controls the step and the step works. So the problem appears to be in the wiring or the motor. Ugh!
Old 08-09-2020, 10:24 AM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Gulf Breeze , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwilly. View Post
I spoke with Airstream and the problem is not the fuse. The fuse which controls the awning is the one that also controls the step and the step works. So the problem appears to be in the wiring or the motor. Ugh!
Do you hear the awning motor engage when you press the extract button? If yes, then have someone pull on the awning when the extract button is depressed. The awning should extend as normal. We had this problem after we got our rig and lubricated the awning joints that seemed to correct the problem. If not, then you probably have an electrical problem or motor issue.
orlik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:34 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member

Western , Tennessee
On my 201 the control for the awning is below the passenger seat. The controller is actually a wireless remote. Check the battery in the controller. Pull the controller and it will release, then button battery access on the backside.
TN Princess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 05:41 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

Marco Island , Florida
Carefree Awning

When I called Airstream, they asked me the same thing. There was no sound from the motor so I have not tried the manual extension.

With respect to the controller, mine seems to be wired. I don't see a place for a button battery.[ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6575.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	244.1 KB
ID:	375389  
Old 08-10-2020, 04:21 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

Gulf Breeze , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwilly. View Post
When I called Airstream, they asked me the same thing. There was no sound from the motor so I have not tried the manual extension.

With respect to the controller, mine seems to be wired. I don't see a place for a button battery.[ATTACH]
The battery is in the control button to the left of the on/off switch(not sure what it does - I have never used it). Just pull the front cover off. It come off easy. You'll see the battery.
orlik is offline   Reply With Quote