Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-24-2004, 08:53 PM   #1

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Bambi's awning

We unrolled the awning on the Bambi today. The PO said he never used it in ten years because it's so small it's useless. I have to agree. Is this really as far out as it goes? I'm tempted to remove it and make a pole awning for it. I think it's just ugly as all get out. My husband says it adds to the value of the trailer. What do you guys think?

Also, it has a broken piece at the top where the pole which stays closest to the trailer attaches to the bracket on the trailer. I'm wondering how difficult this will be to replace.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	awning.jpg
Views:	308
Size:	26.2 KB
ID:	6789  

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2004, 09:01 PM   #2
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

1954 22' Safari
Deerfield , Illinois
Send a message via AIM to bredlo
Does look a bit silly to me - you'd have to have your backs touching the trailer just to sit underneath it... but hey, that's life with a itsy bitsy teeny weenie Bambi.

Do the pole thang, I think! But save all those pieces when you take those big arms off, so the NO (next owner!) can use 'em. There - everybody wins.
Old 05-25-2004, 05:24 AM   #3
Just a member

1978 28' Argosy 28
Lutz , Florida
Send a message via AIM to thenewkid64 Send a message via Yahoo to thenewkid64
Steph,

The awning is not fully extended in the picture. I will attempt step by step instructions, I just had my first rally where I did not teach awnings to someone!

Unlock and unbind all knobs and clips. Looks like you got that one.

Unroll the awning to its full length. You will need to duck under the roller to get under it at this point.

Slide the side rafters, in this case they slide on a zip dee they hook, into the top of the man bar. They should lock near the roller end, forming a triangle of the coach, lower arm and rafter arm. Tighten the knob on the rafter arm.

Then on each main arm there should be a lift handle and a locking mechanism that allows you to telescope the main arm up and longer. Do this on both sides until the door can be opened without hitting the awning. If you are going to use it I suggest a liberal dose of silicone spray to keep the sliding parts sliding.

BTW your hubby will likely have to duck under it so not to hit his head on the tube. Parts will be tough to find for it as the company that made it either no longer exists or dropped the support for it. Fabric can be replaced if you need to from camping world.
WBCCI #5501 AIR # 49
-------------------------
1978 Argosy 28 foot Motorhome

Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something. -- Plato

thenewkid64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 07:21 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Plano , Texas
Please let me know if you decide to sell the awning. We would like an awning to shield us from the rain when we open the door.
Thanks,
Keith
Zed2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2004, 10:22 PM   #5

1968 17' Caravel
Hi Brett,

I think the side rafters are slid up as far as they will go. There's a pin that comes through from the front of the main bar and prevents them from sliding up any further. The only thing that makes me think it should come out further is that there is more awning on the roll.

The awning is very stiff from non-use and I am having a problem getting the little thumb buttons to pop back out to make the main arms lock into position as I slide them up from the bottom. In fact while trying today one of the buttons stuck and that side slid back down and won't lock into place at all.

And Dave already has to duck to walk under it (and go in and out of the trailer). Airstreams just weren't made for tall guys.

Old 05-25-2004, 10:26 PM   #6

1968 17' Caravel
Keith, have you considered building a pole awning for it? That's what I'm planning for the Caravel. This Bambi awning is pretty short, it would look awful funny on a Caravel. It's surprising how much bigger the Caravel looks next to the Bambi at only a foot longer.

Old 05-25-2004, 10:41 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1984 29' Sovereign
Savannah , Missouri
Talking Make sure~

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
Hi Brett,
I think the side rafters are slid up as far as they will go. There's a pin that comes through from the front of the main bar and prevents them from sliding up any further. The only thing that makes me think it should come out further is that there is more awning on the roll.
The awning is very stiff from non-use and I am having a problem getting the little thumb buttons to pop back out to make the main arms lock into position as I slide them up from the bottom. In fact while trying today one of the buttons stuck and that side slid back down and won't lock into place at all.
And Dave already has to duck to walk under it (and go in and out of the trailer). Airstreams just weren't made for tall guys.
Stefrobrts,
When sliding the main arms up and down..make sure that the release button is properly orientated to "catch"..If you play with it at a lower level you should be able to find the proper position for locking it..(If it's anything like mine..your's should works on the same design principal~)
Good luck`!!
ciao
53FC
NEU #64
New England Unit
53flyingcloud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2004, 06:56 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Bambi's awning

Greetings Stephanie!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stefrobrts
We unrolled the awning on the Bambi today. The PO said he never used it in ten years because it's so small it's useless. I have to agree. Is this really as far out as it goes? I'm tempted to remove it and make a pole awning for it. I think it's just ugly as all get out. My husband says it adds to the value of the trailer. What do you guys think?

Also, it has a broken piece at the top where the pole which stays closest to the trailer attaches to the bracket on the trailer. I'm wondering how difficult this will be to replace.
It appears that the awning on your Bambi has what was often referred to as "Rally Position", and "full-open". In your photo, it is in "Rally Position", meaning that it is locked in a partially open state to accommodate the close proximity of neighboring trailers at some Rallys. I have only been at two Rallys where the parking was close enough that this would have been a fantastic feature had either of my awnings had the feature - - my A & E Travel Awn never had the feature nor does my new ZipDee (when ZipDee discontinued this feature is something that I do not know, but it was something discussed at one of the more recent Vintage Rallys).

Good luck with your new to you Bambi!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote