Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-17-2014, 02:02 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
Awnings of a different color

Would the Airstreams Gods frown on me if the main awning was a different color or pattern than the other 3 sides? The seams are coming apart on my main awning and there are some places that are starting to rot. The pattern I have now is Pacifc Blue Fancy. I can get a new Zipdee that probably won't match for $300 as opposed to $1000 for the correct pattern. Maybe if the replacement was a solid color matching on of the other colors in the pattern, it would not be too bad. If it rains you will definitely get wet and the bad seam gets hung on the door.

Perry
perryg114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:12 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I would never consider anything that deviates from a stock appearance.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1410984636.119458.jpg
Views:	165
Size:	654.1 KB
ID:	222083

Do what makes you feel good about your camper.

I wouldn't spring for a big bucks awning either, sometimes making economic sense makes sense.

J. Morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 02:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
1981 to 2014... 33 year old awning. Amortize the next awning along that same curve.

The $300 model might not match. Is the $1000 guaranteed to match - or as good as Zipdee fabric is, it's still going to show SOME fading and wear after 33 years, so how will the $1000 choice actually match perfectly?

Do I misunderstand, or are you saying you can choose another pattern in new fabric on the main awning for just $300? If that's the case, how much more can new fabric cost for the other awnings? if less than $1000 total, why not Change Out Everything? Would it just tick you off to change the main awning and have the others start to fail the next year or so?

I didn't like the Victrionix special.... but the bold red awnings were a big pop of color! (You COULD choose something with a pink and white stripe. Or perhaps your favorite NFL team colors?)

My awning is a very tasteful mossy green/khaki - EB standard. I actually like it fine, but some people might think it's a big yawn. It's all about what YOU want to live with.

Happy choices! Paula
Old 09-17-2014, 02:25 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
That looks very stock.

Perry
Old 09-17-2014, 02:30 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
The guy that has them is an RV salvage guy. He also buys new stuff in bulk which is why the price is cheap but the selection is not so great. I am going to see if I can get him to order the correct pattern if I don't like what he has. The other three awnings are not in as bad of shape as the main awning. They are smaller and they dry out quicker. They don't need to be water proof since they are mainly for shade. The big awning needs to also be water proof and it is not in real bad shape but the rotten thread makes it leak. So getting it repaired is going to cost more than $300. The thread on these things rots before the canvas does.

I guess if I had to have them match, then I could by two of the cheap ones and use it to cut up to make the other 3 awnings. Probably cheaper to get the correct pattern on the main awning in that case and then I am still using the OEM pattern. It is that whole Excella Blue Thing.

This is what I have now.

http://www.sunbrella.com/showroom/#!...tyle=4755-0000

This is what my valances are made from on the inside.

It does not look like it here but the darker blue (Pacific Blue) is the same on both patterns.

Perry
Old 09-17-2014, 07:19 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I was only joking about keeping it 100% stock..

Old 09-17-2014, 07:52 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I got that. I was being sarcastic. Nice red awning arms. Not sure that would work with a ZipDee.

Perry

Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
I was only joking about keeping it 100% stock..
Old 09-17-2014, 07:57 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
I thought so, but wanted to make sure!

I don't want to make enemies over an awning, but only over important stuff like hitches , diesels, and driving with the propane on...

Old 09-17-2014, 08:09 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Smile awning color

Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
Would the Airstreams Gods frown on me if the main awning was a different color or pattern than the other 3 sides? The seams are coming apart on my main awning and there are some places that are starting to rot. The pattern I have now is Pacifc Blue Fancy. I can get a new Zipdee that probably won't match for $300 as opposed to $1000 for the correct pattern. Maybe if the replacement was a solid color matching on of the other colors in the pattern, it would not be too bad. If it rains you will definitely get wet and the bad seam gets hung on the door.

Perry
Pacific Blue fancy is not a discontinued color I don't no what awning mauf. you have but you can gogle sunbrella fabrics & find places that sell fab. then take to awning shop they can make up your size. I pur. this color from sailrite last year to make up wheel covers. Sailrite prob. has cheapest prices.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 08:09 PM   #10
3 Rivet Member

1961 16' Bambi
Malden , Missouri
It sure is nice to read a thread where everyone keeps their wits and a sense of humor!

Perry, good luck with your search! I only have one little awning, but This summer I got rid of the zip dee in favor of a vintage-style. It was fun to search for colors/patterns. Hopefully you'll be able to find the material that makes you smile!

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
ragin-cajun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:09 PM   #11

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by perryg114 View Post
The guy that has them is an RV salvage guy. He also buys new stuff in bulk which is why the price is cheap but the selection is not so great. I am going to see if I can get him to order the correct pattern if I don't like what he has. The other three awnings are not in as bad of shape as the main awning. They are smaller and they dry out quicker. They don't need to be water proof since they are mainly for shade. The big awning needs to also be water proof and it is not in real bad shape but the rotten thread makes it leak. So getting it repaired is going to cost more than $300. The thread on these things rots before the canvas does.

I guess if I had to have them match, then I could by two of the cheap ones and use it to cut up to make the other 3 awnings. Probably cheaper to get the correct pattern on the main awning in that case and then I am still using the OEM pattern. It is that whole Excella Blue Thing.

This is what I have now.

http://www.sunbrella.com/showroom/#!...tyle=4755-0000

This is what my valances are made from on the inside.

It does not look like it here but the darker blue (Pacific Blue) is the same on both patterns.

Perry
This is a close enough match that my guess is that most people would never notice the difference.

Just my $0.02.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:39 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Well, my $0.02 says "Yipes Stripes!".

The stripes should all be the same IMO or get a solid blue that matches the blue in the stripe if you can't do them all the same. Would you wear two different stripes? Your Airstream shouldn't have to either ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 09:50 PM   #13
Site Team

1963 26' Overlander
Hollis , New Hampshire
I agree with Shari, go solid..... I would definitely notice the stripes being different!

Is the fabric itself rotted or just the thread used to seam it?
reinergirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 06:55 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I think the ones he has are solid but I don't know the colors till I get there. Would these awning manufactures other than ZipDee have the specs on these awnings or will I have to provide something? I am going to take a sample of the material so I can match colors. Color is a secondary concern right now but it is still worth considering. I am more OCD about function than fashion but I am a man and an engineer. I do have to consider the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) in this.

Perry
Old 09-18-2014, 08:31 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Also Baycrest Pacific is similar to Pacific Blue, also there are sellers on Ebay that have fab. made up for awning manufactures except zip-dee any color that you need. As I said before google sunbrella fabrics then yo will see sail rite web site & they have samples of fabs. for awnings. I would stay with sunbrella as it's lighter and more sun res. & water proof. not laminated as other fabs.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 10:16 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by featherbedder View Post
Also Baycrest Pacific is similar to Pacific Blue, also there are sellers on Ebay that have fab. made up for awning manufactures except zip-dee any color that you need. As I said before google sunbrella fabrics then yo will see sail rite web site & they have samples of fabs. for awnings. I would stay with sunbrella as it's lighter and more sun res. & water proof. not laminated as other fabs.
Agree with Featherbed - Sunbrella fabric is Waterproof and LIGHTER! And will last a lot longer than anything else!

Oh, and if you're not going for exact match... go solid color picking up any one of the colors from the other awnings.... much better WAF.

Paula
Old 09-18-2014, 11:32 AM   #17
Rivet Master

1972 31' Sovereign
1975 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
Benton , Arkansas
Of note,,,, in most instances, a person can only see one side of the trailer at a time...

Old 09-18-2014, 12:44 PM   #18
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by J. Morgan View Post
Of note,,,, in most instances, a person can only see one side of the trailer at a time...
Does that apply to someone that might be 2 faced?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2014, 01:23 PM   #19
Rivet Master

1981 31' Excella II
New Market , Alabama
I am going to hope that he has a solid color that matches one of the awning stripes.

Perry
Old 09-18-2014, 02:55 PM   #20
Rivet Master

1961 24' Tradewind
1969 29' Ambassador
1970 21' Globetrotter
Jamestown , Tennessee
You realize with a color change you risk angering the awning police
99 Dodge TD 577K miles

RickDavis is offline   Reply With Quote