Free 7 Day Trial RV GPS App RV Trip Planner Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-02-2018, 08:31 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Mannford , Oklahoma
Awning won't work

After using my power awning once, it would no longer work. Just got my
Classic back from the A/S dealer. Here is what happened. The ZipDee control box was not secured to the floor, resulting in wiring coming loose. In addition, a companion relay box was missing it's back, resulting in exposed wires. The technician salvaged a box back from an old unit and secured the zipdee control box to the floor. FYI, the control box in my Classic is under the sink-(pic attached). You have to remove the bottom drawer to see it.

In what world is it OK to lay a complicated electronic control box on the floor of a bouncing trailer? Judging by other posts, I'm not the only one this has happened. I wish I knew of someone high up at Airstream to complain about this shoddy assembly work!

Thinking a blown fuse may have been the cause I asked customer support (4 times before I got a reply) where the awning fuse is located. Here is their reply:

The components that you have listed below are powered through the G6 panel and are not fused outputs. They are listed on the Dimmer or Relay cards on the front of the G6 to notate that they are powered from this component.

Huh? Does anyone know where or what a G6 panel is and what are fused outputs. Does that mean there are no fuses for the awning?
Gerald
geraldsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:08 AM   #2
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
That’s what it means. From reading your post I assume you unplugged the control (as you said, located under the sink, yes, you need to pull out the bottom drawer) and then plugged everything back up. Did you hit the “unlock” bottom on the control panel by the door? Might be worth a shot. And if you think the wiring is bad in that area wait to you see the mess under the dinette opposite from the Alde system...or under the couch.
Might want to try and check the breaker panel as well.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:15 AM   #3
Reads a lot

2017 30' Classic
Titusville , Florida
One more thing...according to your profile you have been a member of this forum since June of 2014. Assuming you did some reading prior to picking up your new AS you could’ve missed all those hundreds of posts about assembly messiness and QC. This is not a new or unusual or unique issue.

She Believed She Could so She Did.
kendrick.l.j is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:31 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Gerald:

The G6 is a breaker, located under the hall closet behind the right lower panel.

As Lauri suggested IF you hooked up your trailer to your tow vehicle and then tried to open the awning without unlocking the awning via the lock/unlock button on the control panel near the front entrance and it did not work, the awning functioned as designed.

It seems that most Classics come with the awning circuit board not attached. When our unit was in for warranty work at the factory our assigned technician was "disappointed" our was not fastened to the floor. He fastened ours to the floor and secured all wires that could come loose with zip ties wrapped around where they were attached to the panel.

I also had the technician install a power kill switch on our awning next to the control panel at the front entrance as this past winter our awning opened on it's own in a campsite at 4:30am. The switch that AS uses does not completely disconnect the control panel from power, now our switch does.

Bud

2020 28' Twin Flying Cloud-(Our 5th Airstream)

USAF Master Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2018, 04:56 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
There is a reset button on the circuit board for the awning. Try resetting before hauling it back to the dealer.
Old 09-07-2019, 07:49 AM   #6
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Norman , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63 View Post
There is a reset button on the circuit board for the awning. Try resetting before hauling it back to the dealer.

Where is the reset button? Photo would be helpful.
twinkie2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 07:54 AM   #7
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Norman , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by twinkie2 View Post
Where is the reset button? Photo would be helpful.

Never mind! Just found it. Ours is a total mess under the drawer as well
Old 09-07-2019, 12:37 PM   #8
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

If you are going to put a couple screws in the floor to mount the stuff under the sink. There is also a similar "pile of stuff" under the dinette seat under the television.

My guess is they don't screw things down to reduce the risk of water penetrating to the sub-floor. That's the only reason I can think of for not putting in a couple of screws ..... If the water issue bugs you, there is an alternative. VHB tape a piece of plywood to the flooring and then screw into that plywood. That's what AS did in a couple of other places.

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 08:12 PM   #9
BAB
Rivet Master

2015 30' Classic
2012 28' International
Greensboro , North Carolina
Having become very good friends with Nate at Zip Dee (he is the world expert on the strangely named "Relax" Awning -- strange in that I am never "relaxed" when I hit the open or closed button -- some of the issues have to do with the way Airstream mounts (if I can be generous) the control unit. I used heavy duty velcro and mounted it to the wall of the trailer rather than the floor. Seeing as this piece of sensitive electric equipment is in close proximity to the kitchen plumbing... BTW, I met Nate in person at the International Rally in Doswell. We had a nice conversation about the "Relax" awning. I did a few wire modifications to mine after our conversation....
ProPride 3P
AIR# 58452
WBCCI # 3430-Unit 21
BAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2019, 04:34 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

2020 30' Classic
Norman , Oklahoma
Quote:
Originally Posted by BAB View Post
Having become very good friends with Nate at Zip Dee (he is the world expert on the strangely named "Relax" Awning -- strange in that I am never "relaxed" when I hit the open or closed button -- some of the issues have to do with the way Airstream mounts (if I can be generous) the control unit. I used heavy duty velcro and mounted it to the wall of the trailer rather than the floor. Seeing as this piece of sensitive electric equipment is in close proximity to the kitchen plumbing... BTW, I met Nate in person at the International Rally in Doswell. We had a nice conversation about the "Relax" awning. I did a few wire modifications to mine after our conversation....

I would be interested in your mods. Care to elaborate?
Old 09-08-2020, 04:58 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
New Park , Pennsylvania
Soooo...after a nice long 1,000 mile trip where the awing worked perfectly...we got home and I wanted to unroll it to keep the trailer cool while I unloaded. Low and behold the awning would only come out so far and stop. I put troubleshooting on the back burner until I had time to investigate.

Sure enough, pulled out the bottom kitchen drawer and there laid the Zip Dee awning control box loose with three never installed screws. In looking for the reset button the top green plug was unplugged. I plugged it back in and now the awning works as it should. That top plug must be the secondary motor that extends the awning. It would come out about two foot and stop, it would always go back in but only come out that two feet or so. Now that it is working we have dry lubed everything as preventative maintenance.

Next question is, do we mount the Zip Dee awning control board to the floor or let it bounce around? I see lots of wires in there, none in a wire lum.

Having down sized from a 45’ bus this wiring is less complicated...no less aggravating...but much less to troubleshoot.

If there is an upside I am getting lots of the construction build dirt clean out while learning much more about an Airstream.

So, mount the control board or let it as is?

Tanner the tin tube
Robertson2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2020, 05:49 PM   #12
Rivet Master

2013 25' FB Flying Cloud
Longmont , Colorado
I think you are better off if you mount it.

And give consideration to what happens if you get a plumbing leak under the sink. You don't want the board to get wet (there was a post about this a few months back).
SSquared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 08:11 AM   #13
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Callao , Virginia
ZipDee recommends every time you are to open the awning you first press the retract button. This to be done EVERY TIME and also if power was lost to the trailer. As far as the control board is concerned, move it to the next cabinet and screw it to a piece of plywood and then to the floor.
Airhead2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2020, 09:01 AM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Mine was just sitting on the back of the shelf below the sink. Never knew it was there. Had a leak from one of the supply hoses and guess what. It found its way to the control box and whatever damage happened to it rendered the awning inoperable.

I replaced the board and screwed it to the inside wall at the back of the cabinet. I would not leave it anywhere on a horizontal surface where it could get water damage and I would not leave it unsecured in any case, to bounce around and get damaged that way.

These awnings are finicky things. I have replaced the board twice and both awning arms on our 2016 27FB. I can tell you this stuff is pricey, both in parts and labor. I have found the Relax awning to be anything but. The only time I will attempt to open it now is if the sun is beating on that side of the trailer and the AC won't keep up. And then it is, stand on one foot, touch my nose 3 times, do a spin, say a prayer and then hit the open button.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2020, 06:30 PM   #15
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Callao , Virginia
Quote:
Originally Posted by thewarden View Post
mine was just sitting on the back of the shelf below the sink. Never knew it was there. Had a leak from one of the supply hoses and guess what. It found its way to the control box and whatever damage happened to it rendered the awning inoperable.

I replaced the board and screwed it to the inside wall at the back of the cabinet. I would not leave it anywhere on a horizontal surface where it could get water damage and i would not leave it unsecured in any case, to bounce around and get damaged that way.

These awnings are finicky things. I have replaced the board twice and both awning arms on our 2016 27fb. I can tell you this stuff is pricey, both in parts and labor. I have found the relax awning to be anything but. The only time i will attempt to open it now is if the sun is beating on that side of the trailer and the ac won't keep up. And then it is, stand on one foot, touch my nose 3 times, do a spin, say a prayer and then hit the open button.
retract button first!
Airhead2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2020, 11:26 AM   #16
Rivet Master

2016 27' International
Sherwood Park , Alberta
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airhead2018 View Post
retract button first!
Always do. Doesn't always do the trick though.
thewarden is offline   Reply With Quote