Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-25-2003, 10:46 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Question Awning type - How can I tell?

Newbie question here! The arms are contoured to fit the sides of the AS. We may need to replace the canvas. How can I tell which brand it is? Will an A&E canvas fit a Zip Dee roller?
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 11:08 AM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Awning Type - How can I tell?

A good first step would be to identify the manufacturer of your awning. While the fabric might be similar between the various manufacturers, the attachment methods may vary.

A Zip Dee will be easiest to identify as it has a more unique profile for its arms. A Zip Dee arm has a small, nearly square profile. In addition, the Zip Dee will have a "round wheel" mounted at the top of the arm where it "locks" to the side of the trailer (near the awning rail position).

It is a bit more difficult to identify the other manufacturers without finding a tag, or other identifier on the assembly. Both Carefree of Colorado and A & E have larger, rectangular arm profiles. The locking mechanism with A & E relies upon being able to lift the awning arm up over a hook mounted at the extreme en of the awning - - spring loaded locking tabs (identified by opposed bumps on either side of the main arm rail) hold the arm in the locked position (most owners also often atach a spring clip about mid-way up the arm to further secure the assembly). Both of these types of awnings will also have a secondary arm that extends above the awning fabric when fully extended and locked into position.

Before replacing the fabric, I might suggest that the condition of the roller tube and other parts be examined. The fabric isn't that expensive, but if you should need a new roller tube or springs, you may find that you are in the near vicinity of the cost of a new awning. I know that I spent nearly the cost of a new awning trying to repair my A & E Travel Awn 5,000 before deciding that it would be more cost effective to purchase a new Zip Dee.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 11:17 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Kevin -

Thanks! When we were looking the trailer over the other day (final inspection tomorrow ) it seems to me the arms were the smaller diameter. We will have the owner fully extend the awning tomorrow and hopefully we won't have to replace anything.

But.......if we do, did you find changing brands from A&E to Zip Dee caused more mounting holes in the side of the AS? How did install go? Happy with the results?
tiniree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2003, 11:46 AM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Awning type - How can I tell?

The switch over from A & E to Zip Dee actually went quite well. All of the A & E mounting points were covered by the Zip Dee hardware. There was one exception, and that was along the lower edge where there had been repair made to the original A & E mounting - - the dealer performing the installation placed a very small trim piece that hides the bolt hole that remained. So long as the A & E awning were mounted in accordance with Airstream specifications, the Zip Dee should hide most if not all of the mounting points left by the A & E. A side benefit to the switch is that the Zip Dee is by far easier to operate for a Free Wheeler.

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2003, 07:16 AM   #5
Still Working

1994 36' Classic 36
North Charleston , South Carolina
ZIP DEE

Identifying Zip Dee is very easy.....

ALL zip dees have the name zip Dee on the end piece of the roller.

A&E tpically have curved arms

Smily
smily is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 09:58 AM   #6
76 Silver Argosy

1975 26' Argosy 26
Fallbrook , Southern California
Send a message via Yahoo to abridges01
Simpleton needs help identifying awning type

Does anyone have any photographs they can post to help simpletons like me identify the awning supplied seperately with the 1975 26' Argosy motor home I have just purchased. I cannot locate any identifying names or similar and as it is not installed cannot unwind it to study further.

Photos would be a great help.

Thanks,

Andrew
abridges01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 12:08 PM   #7
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
How about a photo of yours?

Andrew-

Rather than have you study awning photo's, andy photo you could post would probably help the wizards here nail the ID in minutes...

Since it is "not installed", even a shot of rolled up roller or of the arm pieces that fit alongside the MH would help... If it was furnished around the time the MH was built, there were a few other brands recently bought by A&E/Dometic that might make it more challenging to get parts..

Zip Dee Features: square section side arms (1" aluminum square tubes), polyester canvas fabric, often rolled aluminum section closest to RV as protective cover for fabric, colors often blue or blue striped, or brown and brown striped for Argosy. Stripes run from RV to roller end.

Carefree of Colorado Features: Rectangular painted side arms, vinyl coated fabric, roller often has heavier fabric near RV for protection, but not metal shield, uses plastic screw knobs on side arms to hold together when traveling. Stripes run from side to side

A&E features: Round cornered rectangle side arms (flat sided oval..), vinyl coated fabric, also heavier fabric protector at RV slide-in.

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:11 PM   #8
76 Silver Argosy

1975 26' Argosy 26
Damaged Argosy MH awning images

Good point John:

Here's this months suggestions for the wrecked awning of the month pin-up.
Any one have any ideas as to what it is I have here?

Here's another view. I am worried by the fact that the PO never tried attaching the awning to the MH, did he know something I don't...

Here is a view of the damaged end, any ideas as to what I need do to repair the whole schmiel?

Thanks you all, any and all information will be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Andrew
Old 09-07-2006, 05:42 PM   #9
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Andrew,
Looks like either a Carefree or possbily a Faulkner (no longer in business). Given Carefree's lack of response to older awnings repair parts requests(we don't stock parts for anything over 5 years old)...I would just spend the bucks and get a Zip Dee. They support their older stuff.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 05:59 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Looks like a Faulkner...

I'd agree with assessment of Faulkner, based on slotted roller and bare aluminum curved arms, with rectangular cross section.. Not Zip Dee or Carefree of Colorado...

Faulkner was one of companies bought by A&E, who were then bought by Dometic... Not sure how helpful they'd be about parts, but a friendly live phone call to the most senior customer service person at A&E Awnings would be worth the cost of the phone call to see what you could get...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Old 09-07-2006, 06:14 PM   #11
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
John,
Carefree did make bare aluminum arms...I have one on my 1975, it is not the orginal awning to that trailer. I have no clue what was orginal, some of the mounting hardware is still there and it isn't Zip Dee. The Carefee I have is called a Fiesta series awning. About as good a quality as the rest of the stuff they make. IMHO for Airstreams the best buy for the money is ZipDee. For other stuff there is Fiamma. Carefree and Dometic do okay on the slab sided SOB's but don't ask them to do anything out of the ordinary. After another look at the pictures I would lean more towards the Faulkner.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2006, 07:06 PM   #12
76 Silver Argosy

1975 26' Argosy 26
Thank you folks, I will make room in tonights trash for my current awning! What is an 'average cost' of a 15' Zip Dee? I'll add it to the list (a replacement for our non-producing Onan generator currently heads it).

Thanks to all of you,,

Andrew
Old 09-07-2006, 07:44 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1998 31' Excella 1000
South Berwick , Maine
My '74 had fabric that said Carefree of Colorado, but the arms had Faulkner decals. The frame components in the pictures do look like a Faulkner.
peegreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 02:34 PM   #14
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Andrew-

You can look at ZipDee website, but they sell awnings through dealers or resellers only, I think.. You might check with Andy of Inland RV or C&G in Bellflower or other Airstream dealers for price quotes. I don't know if Lewster here on Forums (independent RV Service business) can also provide Zip Dee awnings...

Fabric selection is tough on website, though they now have link to Sunbrella fabric guides.. Airstream uses gray a lot these days, but royal or navy blue and "Fancy" pattern of various blue stripes is also common...

Not terribly tough to install with a helper and good ladders...

John McG

Old 09-08-2006, 02:49 PM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Columbus , Ohio
Zip Dee

I ordered our Zip-dee from fellow forums member Lewster in June. It arrived in a week or so and was easy to install. I'd suggest contacting him for a quote after checking out Zip Dee's website for color choices (there are many!) The awning is simply awesome. Easy to setup and take down. Hard to imagine camping without it now! --dave
Streamin 65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 03:05 AM   #16
4 Rivet Member

1986 32' Excella
vledder , drenthe
Looks like a care free.
I replaced the canvas with the vinil that is also used on the big truck trailors.
It's a bit more weight than the original canvas but verry strong.
It comes in diverent colors and even a silver gray ( that's what I used )
Just ask a trucker where to find a shop that makes those things

Remco
remcolent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 02:46 PM   #17
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Columbia , South Carolina
Since we are on the subject of awnings can some one give me some advice?

I have the original Zip Dee awning on our 73 Overlander and the canvas is solid no tears or holes, a little stained (no biggy) but the stitched are coming apart. To replace or not replace? Either way I need some suggestions on having this repaired whether I do this or pay someone and how much should this cost and if I have it replaced whether I do this or not how much should it cost????
McLogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2006, 03:23 PM   #18
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
How many stitches??

If you had a helper friend or two and a couple of good ladders or step stools, you could remove the awning fabric from the roller and trailer, and take it to a local auto or marine aupholstery shop where they could re-stitch some of the key seams or edges much cheaper than you could replace the entire awning material.. The cost of poly sunbrella fabric at retail at local fabric store is pushing $35 to $50 a yard, in 5' widths, so the fabric is really expensive...

If ALL the stitching is bad however, you're going to need to over-stitch all the seams, or you'd be removing and reworking again fairly soon, and that would be a pain...

John McG

Old 09-18-2006, 12:32 PM   #19
2 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Columbia , South Carolina
Sorry it took so long to reply. Thanks for the info. It is a lot of stitches. I called Zip Dee and got a quote for a new canvas roller w/ spring and cover for $854. I like your idea better, to take it down and have it stitched, and I guess I will look in the phone book to see if I could find someone. Where could I find instructions for proper removal of the canvas?

Another issue however is that there appears to be a leak in the outer case when rolled up because once unrolled the canvas has a mildew spot ever 4-6" where water appears to be getting in? Maybe I could take a picture or two and get some advice?? Also when raining some of the fabric appears to be repelling the water and some does not??

Any help?
McLogger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2006, 01:42 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Zip Dee has a good website with maintenance information and instructions...

Look at http://www.zipdeeinc.com/RV%20Produc...ance-Page.html

There should be some upholstery places listed in local yellow pages who can stitch sunbrella fabric. It is not as heavy or thick as cotton canvas... If not, call around and find an upholstery shop that does convertible tops for cars, as they should have the machines and room to handle awning... I figure you can pay for several hours of labor before new fabric is better deal, though if original fabric starts to tear, the overall replacement would be advised...

Removing the fabric means separating it from the roller, and then sliding it our of the pinched slot on the side of the trailer. Easier to do with a helper. Search here for threads on "awning replacement"...

As for fabric and water, it is not really intended to be waterproof, and maybe a thorough cleaning with warm water and some very gentle soap (like woolite mix..) would help..

John McG