Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-05-2014, 03:05 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Rockwood , Ontario
Awning Strap Rolled Up Into Awning

Help!

Being a newbie, and with great direction from the wonderful people at AirForums, I was able to get my ZipDee main awning down.

I was so proud of myself, I did it all alone! I went to put it away, and the strap got away from me at the very end .

How do I now get the awning down? What do I have to do?

Thanks so much.
breezyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:07 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
You'll need a helper, both on stools. Unlatch everything, of course, then each of you grab the square end support legs, way up high and pull out the awning. Don't press on the skin with your other hand!!!!! Don'task how I know.....

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:29 PM   #3
Dazed and Confused

Currently Looking...
1983 31' Airstream310
Hillsburgh , Ontario
Please tell me you're an ex-pat from Canada with that golden tidbit.

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

Cheers
Tony
Isuzusweet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 03:44 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
What annoys me is that they make the strap too long so you have to wind it in on an angle to wind it all the way up. Otherwise it floss around in the wind and mars the aluminum. Didn't do this in my '07but does on my '14..

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums
Old 09-05-2014, 03:47 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Quote:
Originally Posted by Isuzusweet View Post
Please tell me you're an ex-pat from Canada with that golden tidbit.

Cheers
Tony
Nope, but lived close to Canada, north of Detroit. Watched Red Green often.

Wayne&sam My 07 is long. Back and forth...ooooops too much, end is gone up inside!

Old 09-05-2014, 03:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
Which reminds me....why haven't I popped that rivet out and shortened it!!!!!

Old 09-05-2014, 03:57 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Also you can tie pc. of rope up high on each arm then 2 people can pull awning out without crawling up on stools taking chance of falling. you can not do this by yourself as you can get enough leverage. PS don't feel bad most of us have done this a time or 2. Bill
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2014, 04:45 PM   #8
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Yep, just did it again! I was so focused on winding the tail back and forth, feeling happy I remembered that and zap in that tail went
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:42 AM   #9
2 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Rockwood , Ontario
Awning Strap Rolled Up

Thanks everyone for giving me some hope of getting my awning down!

I was mesmerized watching the strap go back and forth while I was rolling up the awning and you know what happened from there.

I will be attempting to get it down next week, weather permitting of course!

Just a question about the wind…how much wind can these awnings withstand? If you left them down and were out for the day so you don't have to rush back to save your awning.
breezyway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 06:48 AM   #10
King of the Zebra Speedo

Obrien , Florida
As an awning newbie, years ago, I was camped at the beach and left my awning out all night... It was our first time camping at this campground, and we were right on the beach, waterfront. I got up in the morning, walked outside having my cup of coffee, and the guy in the site next to us walks out and says, "Did you leave that out all night? We usually see one get ripped off every time it's left out all night..." Talking to a few others, he wasn't lying, and we just got lucky. Not sure what it would take to tear one off the camper, or roll it back up over the camper, but I don't leave them out at night anymore.

Wonder if there's any info in the Zip Dee literature...

-Red
Old 09-06-2014, 06:51 AM   #11
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
I am a transient camper, changing locations for work every week. I only put mine out when I am physically in the site. That said when I stay at Pennwood in Pa, there are airstreams who leave their awnings down ALL the time, even if away for weeks at a time. I guess it is up to you. In my case if I mess up that awning, I can not leave and tow.

I was in Cross Creek Ohio and a beautiful 2012 awning just snapped down, it was tilted for rain, and it did rain( not horrible) and it snapped. The great guys at the campground sawed the extensions off so the family could drive back to Texas. It is repairable the way the men cut it.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 07:39 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2011 28' International
Chatham , Ontario
Quote:
Originally Posted by dznf0g View Post
You'll need a helper, both on stools. Unlatch everything, of course, then each of you grab the square end support legs, way up high and pull out the awning. Don't press on the skin with your other hand!!!!! Don'task how I know.....
I'm always doing this with the small awning over the back window, and even for that little guy I need to helper to unfurl it again.

"You can't tow that with that!"

https://sites.google.com/view/towedhaul/home
MrUKToad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2014, 09:26 AM   #13
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Quote:
Originally Posted by Panama Red View Post
As an awning newbie, years ago, I was camped at the beach and left my awning out all night... It was our first time camping at this campground, and we were right on the beach, waterfront. I got up in the morning, walked outside having my cup of coffee, and the guy in the site next to us walks out and says, "Did you leave that out all night? We usually see one get ripped off every time it's left out all night..." Talking to a few others, he wasn't lying, and we just got lucky. Not sure what it would take to tear one off the camper, or roll it back up over the camper, but I don't leave them out at night anymore.

Wonder if there's any info in the Zip Dee literature...

-Red
I don't leave my patio awning out if I'm going to be away for more than a few minutes and I don't leave it open over night. I've seen too many collapsed bending the support arms or ripping out rivets or pulling out screws. Sometimes it just the awning to repair. But, I saw one 34' trailer after an awning collapsed in wind/rain that need the whole exterior skin replaced below the awning.
Old 09-06-2014, 11:09 AM   #14
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by breezyway View Post
Thanks everyone for giving me some hope of getting my awning down!

I was mesmerized watching the strap go back and forth while I was rolling up the awning and you know what happened from there.

I will be attempting to get it down next week, weather permitting of course!

Just a question about the wind…how much wind can these awnings withstand? If you left them down and were out for the day so you don't have to rush back to save your awning.
I think it varies based on awning size and wind direction. All the manufacturers tell you "if the weather it bad enough you won't sit outside, roll the awning up"

I have seen rental trailers at Myrtle Beach where the awnings are staked out and they stay up in everything but hurricane weather. I will leave mine out in some pretty rough weather. Severe thunderstorm warning and it will come down. I do use an Awning Stabilizer Strap Kit, along with De-Flappers. If I am going to be gone from the site for any length of time I will double check the weather, sometimes I will leave it up, or if I know someone else in the campground I will ask them to keep an eye on it for me.

One time I had a pop up set up in a campground long term. Weather forecast was for scattered showers, a huge cold front pushed through while I was at work 50 miles away and the ladies at the campground office put my Popup down for me. Saved me from a lot of pain and suffering. A couple of TT's got turned over in that storm.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote