Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-27-2018, 02:15 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1988 25' Excella
New Bern , North Carolina
Awning spring repair

I've attempted to contact ZipDee about how to repair the main awning spring on my 88 Excella. They won't respond. Anyone know the procedure ?
Thanks
gowansg@suddenlink.net
gowansg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 02:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Oswego , Illinois
Thumbs up

Google zip-dee awning repair pdf, Will list many things for how to for zip-dee awnings.
featherbedder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2018, 03:40 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
1987 32' Excella
Knoxville , Tennessee
I did a mainspring on a driver side awning. Not the big awning. Basically what is needed is to drill out tht rivets holding the spring assembly and to remove the old assembly and replace it with a new assembly. Then wind it up and attach the arm to the trailer. There is a fair amount of tension.

As late as last year we ordered parts direct from Zip-dee. Last month when we called we we were told that Zip dee does not sell parts directly and to,order through a dealer.

And are you sure you have a main spring problem, as in a broken spring? Another thing that causes poor retraction is the roller,on the none spring end of the awning. Had to take my assembly out of the roller tube and drive the axle out with a hammer and clean and lube to get it to work. Al corrosion is larger then thr raw Al it replaces so the bearing just seizes up.
Bill M. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:29 AM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
SOUTH ANHERST , Ohio
Question All
I have a air stream that has zip Dee awnings all around the Airstream and on the side with out the entrance door there is a large window awning that covers all the windows on the side.
I had repaired last spring and if I can recall the zip Dee tect. Drilled out some rivers and replaced a wood part , I do not think the spring then he put the rivers back .
Ok here is my issue I want to open this awning and no tension just flop down and water ran out of the tube and tore the side of the zip dee awning because of the weight.
Any guess what happen , did the spring brake? That wood part? Or did the rivers brake ( I am not sure what the rivers do any way)?
Ok I have not tried to unhook the arm to see if there us any tension on the spring as I have been told very dangerous to take a part.
Could use some help here. I do know when they serviced the awning they put the wood part back in the tube new and 4 or so rivers ? What do they do and attach to ? Could they have broke ?
Thanks all will be waiting to proceed need so help here.
Gosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 11:30 AM   #5
3 Rivet Member

1978 31' Excella 500
Currently Looking...
SOUTH ANHERST , Ohio
Oh my post I should of said 30 ft long 1979 long window awning
Gosman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2020, 12:51 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill M. View Post
Last month when we called we we were told that Zip dee does not sell parts directly and to,order through a dealer.
Is this new? I've bought from ZipDee twice before. Easy to deal with.
Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote