Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-09-2008, 06:34 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Elkhorn City , Kentucky
Awning Rail

We recently bought a 74 sovereign and it does not have an awning rail. Looks like it has never had one. We would like to purchase a vintage awning from vintage trailer supply. Could anyone tell us if we can purchase the rail seperate? If we can purchase the rail how hard would it be to install ourself? Any advice?
wildcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:37 AM   #2
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by wildcat View Post
We recently bought a 74 sovereign and it does not have an awning rail. Looks like it has never had one. We would like to purchase a vintage awning from vintage trailer supply. Could anyone tell us if we can purchase the rail seperate? If we can purchase the rail how hard would it be to install ourself? Any advice?
All Airstream trailers for about 60 years, were built with an awning rail, above the curb side windows.

If your trailer does not have one, then I would suspect that the window sheet metal was replaced and the awning rail was not reinstalled.

Can you post a photo of the area above the curb side windows?

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 06:44 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Elkhorn City , Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by Inland RV Center, In View Post
All Airstream trailers for about 60 years, were built with an awning rail, above the curb side windows.

If your trailer does not have one, then I would suspect that the window sheet metal was replaced and the awning rail was not reinstalled.

Can you post a photo of the area above the curb side windows?

Andy
I will try to post a photo. It may be later this evening so my daughter can show me how. Thank you for the help.
Old 10-09-2008, 07:02 AM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I added a rail (much smaller) when I installed an awning over my rear window. I will have to install another when I add an awning to the street side of my trailer as well. You should be able to add the missing awning rail to your curb side with no problem.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 07:05 AM   #5
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
I will try to post a photo. It may be later this evening so my daughter can show me how. Thank you for the help.
Your more than welcome.

If indeed the awning rail is not there, I would bet that the window sheet metal was replaced, with less than acceptable workmanship.

If indeed the rail is there, then your awning installation problem is nil.

The old style setup awnings take a fair amount of time to setup as well as disassemble, and then there is the stowage problems.

The roll up type awnings, only take a minute or two to setup for use as well as returning it for stowage back to the trailer and ready for travel.

Yes, they do cost more, but it depends on the convenience that you wish to have.

I would hazard a guess that at least 98 percent or more of trailer and motorhome awnings are retractable.

Andy
Old 10-09-2008, 09:08 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1956 22' Safari
2015 27' Flying Cloud
Vintage Kin Owner
Conifer/Evergreen , Colorado
Wildcat ~

I wouldn't be discouraged away from an old-style vintage awning. They really don't take that much longer to set up after the first time or two and you get the hang of it. As far as stowing it away, ours folds up into a 18"x24"x3" square that easily fits into an "awning bag" including a pocket for the stakes & ropes. The awning poles go into a "pole bag" which holds both our three awning poles and our flag poles. Both of them take up minimal space, which with our small trailers - space is always at a premium. Given, your having a Sovereign you will have a larger awning and an extra pole (or 2?) but it still shouldn't be a problem.

The only thing that is something to think about is if you do a lot of "concrete camping" you may not have a place to stake into to tie down a vintage-style awning. We don't do much of that, so it hasn't been a problem. You could rig something up with 5-gallon water buckets, but...that seems like a lot to haul around - we've never not been able to use ours with the kind of camping we do. The 3-5 minutes extra it takes to set-up our retro awning is well worth "the look" and comments it receives.

BTW, Andy is right 99.9% of trailers have awning rails, you may not recognize yours, a lot of people expect it to look more substantial...it should look something like this:

Good luck in whatever you decide to do ~

Shari
WBCCI #1824 - DenCO Unit Past President (2005)
AIR #30 - Join Date: 2-25-2002

RMVAC | ACI - CO Unit (Formerly WBCCI) | BIRDY - our 1956 Safari | 1964 Serro Scotty
InsideOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2008, 10:26 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

Elkhorn City , Kentucky
InsideOut
My husband said that maybe he wasn't recognizing it, so he looked up a few pictures to see what he is suppose to be looking for. It seems to set farther back then he expected. We do like the vintage-style best. We do appreciate all the info that everyone has gave. Thanks and I will get back with you all later today. I will take a picture so you can see.
Old 10-10-2008, 08:30 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member

Elkhorn City , Kentucky
I looked at the camper. It does not have a rail. I cannot tell that the metal has been replaced. If the metal has been replaced they done a very good job.
I will try to post a picture in a little while.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:18 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

Elkhorn City , Kentucky
This is the picture. It took me two days but I finally figured out how to add a photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tanner 352.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	374.8 KB
ID:	69134  
Old 10-10-2008, 10:24 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Elkhorn City , Kentucky
Here is another picture
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tanner 353.jpg
Views:	181
Size:	449.4 KB
ID:	69136  
Old 10-10-2008, 11:08 PM   #11
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
You do not have an awning rail. My guess is that the side panel and maybe a few others have been replaced some where along the life of the trailer. I don't see a door catch behind the door and I also don't see a scare light which would be on the panel in front of the first curb side window. If only these trailers could talk.

Your awning rail would be located somewhere between the top of the stove exhaust vent and the seam above it.

Richard

Old 10-10-2008, 11:15 PM   #12
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Here is another picture
I would suggest that you have your Airstream "completely" examined at least on the exterior, by someone that is an Airstream expert, not just a neighbor or friend.

I see several areas of very poor workmanship

I am sorry, but you did ask.

That type of workmanship would normally mean several water leaks, that you certainly don't need.

Andy
Old 10-11-2008, 08:19 AM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Elkhorn City , Kentucky
Inland RV
You didn't offend me. The work that has been done on it wasn't done by us. The man we bought it from found it setting in a field. He had a all the pipes redone and a new air conditioner. Some other things but I am not sure. The inside looks good but as we clean it up we can see some winter projects that will keep us busy. We paid $3,400. Everything in it works. Refrigerator, stove, all the lights. The only thing we have seen is the radio has been taken out but that is not a problem.
I don't see anything that can't be fixed. This site has gave us some really good ideas on what to do and how to do it.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:31 AM   #14
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I think that Andy was referring to some of the skin seams. Where the top skin meets the front looks a bit rough as well as a few others. I would keep an eye on these areas and make sure they are water tight. Leaks are a fact of life for vintage (and some new) Airstreams.

Richard

Old 10-12-2008, 07:49 AM   #15
1 Rivet Member

Elkhorn City , Kentucky
We are new to this. My mom and dad has a motor home but it is not an airstream. So any help we can get is greatly appreciated. There is definitely a difference. We will be trying to look for someone that can take a look at it. We are going to Jenny Wiley to camp next weekend, so maybe we will happen on someone that has one or can tell us where to find some help. Thank You all for the advice.
Old 10-12-2008, 03:32 PM   #16
4 Rivet Member
Commercial Member

Jonesboro , Georgia
Awning rails

Hi,
Google csc textiles awning rail
There you can see pictures of different types of awning rails. If you are planning on a vintage look awning be sure to get an awning rail that has a 3/8th inch channel. From what I have read, waterproof sealer under the rail during installation may help to prevent leakage. I have also heard that putting some sealer on the screws just prior to screwing them into the rail, also helps. I would consult with a RV dealership before attempting to install one by yourself. Good luck. KF
Kristi Foster is offline   Reply With Quote