Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-29-2010, 08:09 PM   #1
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Des Moines , Washington
Awning or no awning?

I have a 72' 31ft Sovereign rear bath that I have been in the process of "returning it to road" condition. My question, I have the oportunity to buy a used awning off of the same make. Mine did not have one! Will I have a problem with interference with my vista view windows? Is it worth installing or more trouble than it's worth? Is there a problem with them unfurling during travel? Please respond soon, I'm buying it tomorrow!

Thanks

Curt
2wheelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:20 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
Curt, We have the same trailer. Our awning on the curb side (over the entry door) is mounted above the Vista view window on that side. When the awning is open you can see it in the vista view window. It does not interfere with the operation of the window or the awning. When the awning is rolled up you cant tell it (the awning) is there. The benefits of the awning way out way the draw back of not seeing out that window while the awning is open.

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:23 PM   #3

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
We love our awnings and would add one if we purchased a trailer that did not have one already installed. The advantages an awning offers for us is that it helps keep the trailer cooler and it is great to sit out under during a rain shower. Our awning rail is mounted above the vista view windows so the awning does cover them but we never look out them anyway and the window shades haven't been opened in years.

Both of our trailers have old CareFree of Colorado awnings on them and we've never had an issue with them unfurling while traveling. Most brands lock when stowed for travel to prevent this from happening.

The only consideration for me would be parts availability if the unit being purchased was no longer in production.

Kevin

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:42 PM   #4
Rivet Master

Elkhart , Indiana
Send a message via AIM to memgrove2000
Here are a couple of pictures that may help you see. The first one is awning open and we are hiding from the rain, The second is at the Terra Port at the Airstream Service center and Factory just this last saturday (while I was installing the new tires).
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	100_1124.jpg
Views:	185
Size:	301.2 KB
ID:	99058   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2926.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	382.9 KB
ID:	99059  

TAC # IN 1 Air#27922
memgrove2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1970 27' Overlander
Espanola , Full Timer
Send a message via Yahoo to AIR-Quarius Send a message via Skype™ to AIR-Quarius
We removed our awning...after researching that some or most airstreams did not have mechanical pull outs...but more of a piece of appropriate fabric that slide into place in the 'C' channel thats runs down the top. So we will get an awning but not the big heavey extra weight mechanical contraption.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:02 PM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The awnings were a dealer installed option for most of the 1970's. If you look at the awning rail, it will tell you if the awning will cover the vista view or not. If the rail is above the window, it will (of course). Also, if the awning you found is still on the trailer, you can look at it to see where the rail is.
Old 03-29-2010, 09:27 PM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
The first option I installed on my 75 was an awning on the curb side. I have since added another on the street side. The vista view was a small problem as the mounting point for the RH curved clamp sat right on the frame for the window. A slight adjustment to the clamp solved the problem.

If the awning is secured with a travel clamp, there is no way the waning can come loose during travel.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	latch.JPG
Views:	153
Size:	16.5 KB
ID:	99079   Click image for larger version

Name:	repair.JPG
Views:	159
Size:	26.5 KB
ID:	99080  

Name:	travellock.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	99081  

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:01 AM   #8
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Awnings are pretty handy. Esp in the west where there may not be shade trees to get under. If it were me and I was going to add an awning I would probably pass on the time correct and go with a Zipdee.

I have a rope and pole awning on my Trade Wind. The down sides are you have to pound stakes and it can be a pain to put up. The upsides are it can stand a pretty strong wind and once up, it provides more shade than mounted awnings. Once mine is up I wouldnt trade it, but I have to admit, that it would be nice to be able to pop it out for lunch stops. Its all trade offs I suppose.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 08:12 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2wheelin View Post
I have the oportunity to buy a used awning off of the same make. Mine did not have one! Will I have a problem with interference with my vista view windows? Is it worth installing or more trouble than it's worth? Is there a problem with them unfurling during travel? Please respond soon, I'm buying it tomorrow!

Thanks

Curt
In the 70s the awnings installed on Airstreams were Carefree brand. Earlier units had EZ Awn and I think A&E were also used. While Carefree is still around, parts are not. The other companies I think are defunct. I would put in a Zipdee as parts are standard and available. Installing yourself? It's not rocket science but a process of tweaking until you get it to work right. Unfurling during travel? 99.99% due to the awning not being properly locked down.
Old 03-30-2010, 11:54 PM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Des Moines , Washington
Thanks All,

Well I bought it! It will need some work but I think it was worth the $150 asking price, after looking at postings of awnings. It is a Zip Dee, were the trailer mounted tracks all the same for all awnings? Thanks again all! The pics will help with installation!

Curt
Old 04-06-2010, 12:58 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Des Moines , Washington
Mike, Richard, Lumatic;

I knew my trailer had an awning on it at some time, I went to line up the existing holes with the arms and found they do not match. It must have had a different brand installed prior? So I will use your photos to try to install this, but I appear to have different mounting feet than yours Richard? Is your awning newer?

Thanks

Curt
Old 04-06-2010, 05:38 AM   #12
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Curt - My awning is about 3 years old

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote