Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-11-2017, 09:43 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Bay Area , California
Awning Latch Stuck

Hi, all. We just got back from our first trip taking our Bambi and one thing we could not get to work was the awning. The awning worked fine during our orientation. Simply unlatch and pull down. The problem we came across was one of the latches were stuck. The awning rod started to bend really bad and didn't want to risk further damage.

Any recommendations? I was thinking of getting a rubber mallet and tapping out the latch hook out. Thought I hear some advice before I regret.

Thanks
SkraDjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 10:53 PM   #2
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
Are you talking about the round wheel latch? If so, pushing up on the rafter arm usually unbinds the latch.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2017, 11:33 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Bay Area , California
@CRH Yes, the latch hook that locks the awning in place. Okay I'll try that on our next trip. Thank you for the tip.
SkraDjinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 06:39 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Oswego , Illinois
My hook rod hangs on the garage wall. I gave up on it years ago and adopted the step stool method for the following reasons:

1) As you found out, sometimes the wheels and road latch are too tight or bind and the rod won't do the job.

2) You can't get the wheel latches tight enough to ensure them not coming loose while travelling.

3) The rod was always in the way in my bumper drawer.

4) I need the step stool anyway to extend the rafter rods, as I have a bit of a rotator cuff issue, why not ensure proper locking of the roll with the stool?

"If the women don't find you handsome, they should at least find you handy." - Red Green
dznf0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2017, 07:37 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkraDjinn View Post
@CRH Yes, the latch hook that locks the awning in place. Okay I'll try that on our next trip. Thank you for the tip.
There are 2 types of latches- 1. The round wheely thingy 2. The travel latch with the hook. For the travel latch tap the pointy end with a hammer while jiggling the awning.
Old 05-13-2017, 03:31 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
We just picked up our new 23D in April. Stayed in it 5 nights between dealer (NJ) and home (North GA). I'm 6' tall and dont(knock on wood) have any physical issues yet. I found that using the awning rod for anything other than roll/down was really tedious. I quickly decided to get a step stool and deal with the knobs and hook by hand. Much easier and faster.

Having said all of that, we had box trailers in the past with A/E awnings that seemed much less complicated to set up/ tear down. I'm sure zip Dee is high quality but I wonder why Zip Dee hasn't adopted a less complicated mechanism.

This may be a little off topic, but being new to airstream I'm interested in others thoughts on this.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 03:14 PM   #7
1 Rivet Member

2022 25' International
Boca Raton , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by SkraDjinn View Post
Hi, all. We just got back from our first trip taking our Bambi and one thing we could not get to work was the awning. The awning worked fine during our orientation. Simply unlatch and pull down. The problem we came across was one of the latches were stuck. The awning rod started to bend really bad and didn't want to risk further damage.

Any recommendations? I was thinking of getting a rubber mallet and tapping out the latch hook out. Thought I hear some advice before I regret.

Thanks
2022 Int’l having same issue! Tried everything ! Just gave up Bcz I don’t want to damage the lock , the hook, or the awning itself by pushing and pulling on it trying to get the thing to open !
Let's Pet Dogs Together
(not a euphemism)
RivetzCarlAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2022, 03:54 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2017 26' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
The fact that you said "Hook" makes me think you mean the travel hook.
If you can't release it with the rod, get a step stool and try it by hand or tool. (or a screwdriver through the hole)
The hook is simply attached to the awning cover by a single screw. Maybe add a washer to the screw. Since it worked before maybe it need a firm closure. They say to let the last foot of awning slam closed. Also don't let the pull tape wind up in one spot, zig-zag it so it doesn't make a lump under the cover.
Once you get it open, look and see how it's out of alignment. Open and close the awning several times and see it it finds a happy place.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KK4YZ View Post
I'm sure zip Dee is high quality but I wonder why Zip Dee hasn't adopted a less complicated mechanism.
It's like Harley Davidson. 50 year old technology but a history they refuse to change. I agree, My former MH had a Carefree and it was a snap to open/close.
Attached Images

Mollysdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 03:08 AM   #9
1 Rivet Member

2022 25' International
Boca Raton , Florida
Thank you for your reply- it’s never been opened. I’m not even sure it was opened via demo in tampa at pick up? I was on a step ladder wiggling, lifting and attempting to push through and turn knob/hook to the left to disengage lock. I even sprayed it with lube. No go. It is impossibly stuck. I will call Zipdee and someone mentioned as well this week, heading out Friday for maiden voyage after Carl’s been sitting in storage for months. Thank you again for suggestions and reply! Much appreciated ��
Suzanne
Let's Pet Dogs Together
(not a euphemism)
RivetzCarlAS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 07:30 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
Instead of the aluminum rod you could try sticking a philips screw driver in the hole to try a little leverage to release the hook.

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 08:44 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2020 28' Flying Cloud
2017 23' Flying Cloud
Hiawassee , Georgia
Between my earlier post on this thread (5 years ago), we now have a 28’ FC with the manual awning. Based on the thousands of miles since, I continue to feel the step stool approach is best. Also I found that sometimes you have to manipulate the awning itself up/down a fraction of an inch to get things to line up. This also applies to the wheel locks.

Additionally grabbing the awning arm and rafter arm together to ensure proper alignment sometimes helps. The two arms should be side by side and even with each other in the stored position.
KK4YZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2022, 09:21 AM   #12
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Milk Crate or Step Stool AND Zip Tie

The hook will relax over time from use. The awning is new and tightly secured.

You will WANT the hook to be secure when towing. If the shorter awning single hook / longer awnings double hooks are too loose, IF they can 'unhook' easily, releasing the rolled awning while towing.

The awning can 'unfurl' like a Flag and tear off of your trailer... at best. Your tow vehicle mirror will give you a second by second visual... when it happens. (Been there, fixed it immediately.)

For those with a Loose Hook, we use a nylon zip tie strip around the hook, into the bracket. The awning is now snug, secure and the Zip Tie can be clipped with a wire cutter standing on the Milk Crate or a Step Stool. Run the Zip Tie through the bracket and claw openings to be 100% secure.

Like others... the long hook bar... is for loose hooks, that need to be secured... better. Maybe use it as a fly rod. Then Zip Tie to secure.

If you have never had a problem... great. When anyone does... not so great. Be prepared. You will see complete awnings along the Highway. That is your reminder to Zip Tie YOUR.

I had a loose hook on our 2019 27FB International on the curb side awning. I saw it beginning to 'unfurl' in a strong cross wind from the opposite side. We quickly pulled over, pulled the awning to its, about three feet, let it roll back tight, applied the hook and added the nylon zip tie.

Never had a problem since 2006... but once the hook is loose... get a packet of nylon zip ties. Cheap permanent loose hook security. Less expensive than replacing the awning, hardware and pulled out brackets out of the aluminum skin.