Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-02-2020, 08:58 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Awning hook bracket tearing awning

Hello everyone!

We are full timers in a 2001 30' Limited. The Bracket for the hook on the large awning has damaged the awning fabric. We have patched. Please see the pictures. You can see damage on the aluminum awning 'sleeve' as well.

Any suggestions on how to remedy or is this just a design issue combined with the age of our Airstream.

Thank you!!!!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_8322.JPG
Views:	55
Size:	180.9 KB
ID:	364629   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_6792.JPG
Views:	50
Size:	143.4 KB
ID:	364633  

Pride&Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2020, 09:32 AM   #2
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
It looks like it's not closing tight enough.

When closing keep the hook in the loop all the way up to make sure it won't disappear when fully closed.

Pull it out about 3'4' and let it 'slam' closed, the cover should come further down.
Repeat id needed.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 04-04-2020, 05:48 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Lake Charles , SW Louisiana
I agree with Bob, the awning is not fully closed likely due to there not being enough tension on the spring, the result being that the fabric is not retracting and rolling up tightly bound by the tension spring inside the roller tube. This could be due to a number of issues, i.e. fabric age/stretch, or a bad/broken tension spring.

One way to check this would be to go to Zip Dee's website under their Instructions menu, select the type of awning you have and refer to the fabric replacement instructions which will guide you (safely) on how to release all tension on the spring and then re-adjust it which should result in the awning retracting properly to which will also result in the case slats closing more. From your photos it appears that the Z lock is not aligned with its keeper bracket which is an indicator that the awning is not being completely closed. The instructions provide guidance on both removing the tension and how to adjust it properly by a set # of turns + one turn for each foot of length.

The tension spring does have a lot of force applied to it but if you follow the instructions and have some help you can do it safely and without incident.

http://www.awningsbyzipdee.com/instructions.html
Old 04-04-2020, 05:54 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 27' International
2014 25' International
2006 23' Safari SE
Boulder City , Nevada
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROBERT CROSS View Post
It looks like it's not closing tight enough.

When closing keep the hook in the loop all the way up to make sure it won't disappear when fully closed.

Pull it out about 3'4' and let it 'slam' closed, the cover should come further down.
Repeat id needed.

Bob
����
Worked 100% of the time for me, as well. A 30 foot awning may need the last two feet to do the job. This was on my 23 and 25. The 2019 may be a totally different discussion with the 'power feature'. The other awning... wham bam, thank you mam.

I let the last 12 to 14 inches loose and 'bam'... done on the 23 and 25 foot.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:01 AM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2001 30' Limited
Tucson , Arizona
Rewillia,

Thank you so much for the wonderful information and link to the awning tension spring instructions. This is an awning fix epiphany for sure! We truly appreciate the time and effort you took to help us. We are in Death Valley National park (I've been working here during the winter season, although laid off currently) and the next few days are going to be extremely windy. Once the wind dies down, we will look at tightening the spring. Take care & Stream on!
Pride&Joy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 10:03 AM   #6
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray Eklund View Post
Worked 100% of the time for me, as well. A 30 foot awning may need the last two feet to do the job. This was on my 23 and 25. The 2019 may be a totally different discussion with the 'power feature'. The other awning... wham bam, thank you mam.

I let the last 12 to 14 inches loose and 'bam'... done on the 23 and 25 foot.
FYI, the power awnings do not have the travel latches.
Old 04-05-2020, 10:17 AM   #7
Ready-to-Travel

2012 30' International
Walkerton , Virginia
It's also possible to be too gentle when you are closing the awning. It will tighten some if you let go of the hook strap when you get to the last 18" or so and let it slam closed.

Pat

AIR 3987
TAC VA-2
WBCCI 4596
pmclemore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2020, 09:56 PM   #8
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
I got this tip from someone at ZipDee and it worked. They had me place a strip of fabric (around 4" x 12") between the awning roller and the awning fabric. This increased the circumference of the roller slightly and made that end of the awning roll tighter.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 03:09 PM   #9
4 Rivet Member

2018 30' Classic
Lake Charles , SW Louisiana
Bob, You may also need to reset the limit switches at the motor end of the awning using the emergency kit which will allow you to adjust the closure (as well as extending).