Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 01-04-2007, 06:07 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

Awning Help?

Hello...I need help identifying the awning and support arms on my '71 Globetrotter. The arms and mechanism seem to be in good operational shape, and I want to replace the awning, but need to tell the awning people what I have. So any help appreciated...
Old 01-04-2007, 06:54 AM   #2
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
That looks like the same awning that is on my '73 Overlander. I beleive they were manufactured by Carefree. I don't think Carefree is in business any longer, but your guy should be able to fix you up, tho.

Good luck with it.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 06:59 AM   #3
2 Rivet Member

Awning Help?

What type or manufacturer made the awning you currently have? I don't have anyone lined out as yet and if you have anyone to recommend, it would be helpful.
Thanks
Old 01-04-2007, 07:07 AM   #4
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
I'm restoring the Overlander and haven't gotten to the awning yet. Search thru this exterior restoration sub-forum and you'll get some ideas on how others replaced theirs. My understanding is that, basically, if all you need is the fabric, you don't need to buy from the original manufacturer. I'm not stating this very well, but other campanies awnings will fit, or can be made to fit.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:20 AM   #5
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim & Susan
That looks like the same awning that is on my '73 Overlander. I beleive they were manufactured by Carefree. I don't think Carefree is in business any longer, but your guy should be able to fix you up, tho.

Good luck with it.

Jim
It looks like a Carefree of Colorado awning to me also. They are still in business>
Carefree of Colorado
I do not think they make awnings for Airstreams any more, but I think they will still support / help you if you contact them.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 07:58 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Awing Help

Boltos, You do have a Carefree of Colorado awning there. You can contact Carefree at 1-800-621-2617 and if you know the model number of the awning, and the correct measurements of the fabric you need, they may be able to help you. Some here have reported getting replacement fabric for between $200.00 and $400.00. You can also take your trailer to a canvas shop locally that has marine and RV fabric and ask for uv resistant and waterproof fabric and they may be able to help you too. There is also a resource here for the awning installation and maintenance manual. try the search function on the blue tool bar above. Use awning, manuals, and fabric as a starting place. Let us know how you make out. Ed
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:13 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Colorado Springs , Colorado
Carefree of Colorado

I contacted Carefree of Colorado and was exposed to their customer service. To start off I had to keep cycling through the push button inferno. Finally got hold of an agent and she flatly refused to answer any questions. All I wanted was either a catalog or a few pages from same that would help me identify the remains of the awning on the Minuet. All I got was repeted offer to get me a phone number of the local dealer. I had already been to two of the local dealers and they were not interested in helping. Fortunatly there are several local dealers and I was finally able to pick up a catalog. At this point I don't care if it is a Carefree they have fallen off the supplier list.

BTW, I contacted ZipDee, got a real person, answers to questions, and offer to ship out their catalog along with install instructions specific to the Minuet. All prior to purchase. Some of the best customer service anywhere. No question who will get my business.
'77' Minuet 6 Metre, behind a 2005 stock Jeep Rubicon with Equa-L-Zer hitch.
Royce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 09:49 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Member qjktx posted the Carefree owners manual to his Forums photo section here. Another thread spoke of a fair encounter with Carefree -- http://www.airforums.com/forum...elp-26173.html

The Carefree on my Argosy has some problems. There are multiple pinholes but it provides shade and my stuff doesn't get wet when it rains. It certainly doesn't stay deployed by itself any longer, so I use a Hold-Awn -- they come two to a box and I install one at each corner (probably good wind protection for good awnings anyway!).

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 02:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Awning help

Bob, I spoke with Rhonda at Carefree this A.M. regarding purchasing the correct fabric replacement for my 1967 Safari. She has been there at Carefree a while and refers to herself as an oldtimer. She was very helpful to me (to the point of telling me that the 40 year old springs may fail if I try to replace fabric at this point)! She is snail mailing me some exploded views of several different (older) awning models so I can ID the exact model I have. She says that will prevent my ordering new fabric ($200.00) through a dealer only to find it impossible to install on my winder tube, or end up breaking a spring while removing the tension from the winder.. She asked me to try to remove the spring tension from the awning and warned me that this is where others have had problems as the springs have at least three winds of tension on them and don't like the removal process. Once I accomplish this I am to compare the way the material is installed on my roller tube and also then to check my end cap configuration to the diagrams she is mailing me. I think all this concern shows that at least one person at Carefree gives very good information and Customer Support. They do not sell retail directly but will give you the local Carefree dealers if you ask. That said, I also had a poor encounter with a Customer Support person a few weeks ago from their C/S that wouldn't even let me explain what it was I needed. Her only comment to me was they (Carefree) no longer had parts for these old awnings nor supported them at all. I have read where others have purchased a new Carefree or Zipdee awning at a cost of $1200.00 only to have to bend the new arms to make them fit their trailers. I will advise you all on my experiences with these awnings as I get through this process. The key right now seems to be to get the right person on the phone and not to give up if someone leaves you with bad information. Ed
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
Old 01-04-2007, 05:17 PM   #10
Rivet Master
Airstream Dealer

Corona , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGED52
I have read where others have purchased a new Carefree or Zipdee awning at a cost of $1200.00 only to have to bend the new arms to make them fit their trailers. I will advise you all on my experiences with these awnings as I get through this process. The key right now seems to be to get the right person on the phone and not to give up if someone leaves you with bad information. Ed
Zip Dee has the correct fitting arms for Airstream trailers going back into the 50's.

They vary, depending on the year of the trailer. Accordingly, Zip Dee has several different shaped arm sets for Airstream trailers.

No bending needed if ordered correctly.

Andy
Inland RV Center, In is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 08:28 PM   #11
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
Be careful out there!!

I am both a Carefree AND Zip-Dee dealer, and can help you with any questions regarding either. BTW, Carefree patio awnings usually get a LOT MORE than 3 winds, so be VERY CAREFUL when you unwind them. Ask for the skinny on the wind/unwind process.
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2007, 11:14 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Unwinding the awning tension springs....

Lew, You are of course correct on the winds applied to the springs. The three winds appears to be the minimum for a 8' to 10' fabric awning. The roller end may also be wound on these awnings to prevent the awning from sailing, so one should be very careful when attempting to do this. As I said in a previous post I will report back to everyone on how this works out (or doesn't). Lets see how things go and if anyone has comments please feel free to jump in. Ed
Old 01-05-2007, 05:35 AM   #13
Rivet Master
Commercial Member

Vintage Kin Owner
Naples , Florida
BIGED, et al.....

I think that ED hit the proverbial nail on the head. Carefree is a dealer oriented company and always has been, unlike Zip-Dee who will assist anyone who needs it. I have been at the Carefree factory and met Rhonda and the entier C/S team. They are all very helpful and knowledgeable regarding their products and do offer excellent C/S.....TO THEIR DEALERS. A lot of other RV product companies operate in the same way.

So don't be offended by their stand-offish attitude to the consumer. They have invested a lot of effort in building a solid dealer framework (probably as a liability issue as much as anything) and stand by them.

You can always ask me if you have specific questions about their produdcts, as I have most of the manuals and can get answers from them if I don't have the information.

PS: Some CoC patio awnings have 2 springs, one at each end, so be VERY cautious when unwinding!
lewster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 10:00 AM   #14
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
Old Carefree is not

I have beat the Carefree bushes talking to different folks at Carefree and elsewhere. The bottom line seemed to be the parts for this vintage Carefree awning are just not available.

While waiting to get my awning figured out I bought a folding "Gazebo" from Wal-Mart for $100. I can set it up anywhere I want in 5 minutes, I don't have to drill holes in my skin, and I don't have to worry about the wind destroying a thousand buck awning.

By the way any awning will fit the track on the trailer. the main difference is the distance between the bolt ropes on the roller end. You can also sew a sleeve into a awning fabric and make it fit, or so I have been told. Ihave seen new awning fabrics for sale on ebay for as little as $50

Another neato retro idea is a bag awning. They are a lot cheaper about $200. They roll into a bag at the usual position on the awning track. You set them up by hand with poles, ropes and stakes. You know, like when you went camping when you were a kid.
Lumatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2007, 11:07 AM   #15
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall

Another neato retro idea is a bag awning. They are a lot cheaper about $200. They roll into a bag at the usual position on the awning track. You set them up by hand with poles, ropes and stakes. You know, like when you went camping when you were a kid.
Hi Marshall -

One thing to keep in mind about bag awnings, though, is that they will be against the skin on the Airstream, and movement can cause it to damage the skin.
Old 01-05-2007, 11:21 AM   #16
Rivet Master

Mel,

Is that a bag awning that shows in your avatar? If so what brand?
Old 01-05-2007, 11:41 AM   #17
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Hi Royce,

The awning in the avatar pic does store in a bag, but it's not a bag awning in the sense that it doesn't live on the awning rail full time. It's a pole and rope awning from JC Whitney - a cheapie until we could decide what we were going to do there permanently. I have some cool outdoor fabric and will eventually make a nicer awning using this one as a pattern.

We have one of the pole and rope awnings from VTS for our Caravel - love it! Hope my home-made one turns out half as nice!
Old 01-06-2007, 12:37 AM   #18
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Carefree awning...

Hey, Just some info for anyone who may be interested.... qjktx (Mark White) has a Carefree awning from his 1971 A/S that he has offered for free to anyone interested. I spoke with him recently about it and he still has it available. It would cost a lot to have it shipped but if you're close to him (Austin, Texas I think) or planning to roll through that neck of the woods you may want to PM him and pick something up for free. That is the best price ever! FWIW... Ed
Old 01-06-2007, 08:22 AM   #19
Rivet Master

Mel, Thanks for the clairfication. I was confusing a bag awning with a rope and pole. I believe a rope and pole would be just fine for us for a few years while we bring the Minuet back to regular use. How difficult is it to put the awning back in the rail when you decide to set up?

BTW the Minuet is still at the dealer. Weather has not allowed transport.
Old 01-06-2007, 09:51 AM   #20
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Hi Royce,

It takes maybe 15-20 minutes to set up our pole and rope awning (that includes adding awning decorations!) We stand on a picnic table, stool, or cooler to feed the awning into the rail (or if we have room in our site, we back the truck next to the trailer and stand in the bed). Not difficult at all. The reward for setting up the awning is enjoying a cold beer in a comfy lawn chair under the awning.