Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-07-2023, 10:45 AM   #1

Currently Looking...
Fort Collins , Colorado
Awning Fabric Choice…seeking advice

We have a 1976 International that we have lovingly and painstakingly renovated from the frame up. We are now adding an awning which feels like the “personality” and “facelift” she needs on the exterior. It did not have an awning or arms when we purchased it so we are in the market for a whole new set up. We’ve been working with Zip Dee for all of the parts. My questions and advice I am seeking here are in regards to fabric. They come in a wide variety of colors obviously…does anyone have experience with dark fabrics (black?) I would think it would be hot under the awning. I like the look of it but have concerns with the functionality. Any advice on awnings, fabric choice, do’s and dont’s would be much appreciated. We primarily boondock in the Colorado and Wyoming mountains! Thanks and happy travels
Khow1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 12:16 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2005 30' Classic
Kingston , Washington
We really like our maroon colored awnings. It's pretty dark, but we don't notice that it pulls in the heat.
10Smiles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 05:36 PM   #3
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
I have a fairly dark Grey fabric bordering on Charcoal. We haven't noticed any particular discomfort under it versus more lightly colored awnings.

Do ensure which ever fabric you choose that it has "marine" grade UV protection. Sunbrella, the most well-know brand (for acrylic fabric), makes three grade weights which are ever more tightly woven threads so choose C in the solid color line. The grade "D" uses more colors, intricate designs, &/or weaves. Outdura (a polypropylene fiber) is another good choice.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 07:10 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2019 25' Flying Cloud
Hendersonville , North Carolina
Having had 2 different Airstreams, get the lightest color you can. Believe me when I say there is a definite deference in the heat level under a dark fabric rather than a light fabric. I think all Zip Dee fabrics a SunBrella. They last a LONG time so get a light color.
uraljohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 07:28 PM   #5
CRH
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
xxxxx , xxxxxx
My trailer has a medium blue. I think it's hot to sit under.

Zip Dee does use Sunbrella and it does last a long time. However, they use cotton thread or at least they did on mine. The stitching lasted about 20 years before failing. I had the entire awning restitched.
CRH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 07:48 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2008 16' International CCD
kamloops , british columbia
our 2008 has a silver grey awning that is rather drab but clean looking.
Snowey BC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2023, 08:37 PM   #7
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
1977 31' Excella 500
Berkeley Springs , West Virginia
I got a new awning from ZipDee. I went with a similar blue to the original. Looks great and works great. Best of luck,
Old 05-07-2023, 11:29 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1978 31' Excella 500
Genoa , Nevada
Thought: Be sure to get a thickness that isn't too thick to roll up in the ZipDee.
And Black will be way too hot to sit under. I'd look at shade cloth if it was thin enough.

I still have the original blue zipdee awning on my "78 Excella, but the seam threads are gone enough to let the wind through so the wind doesn't throw the whole thing over the top as bad. I ratchet tie the zipdee ends to the stabilizers and leave them up all week at that thing in the desert.

NevadaGeo
NevadaGeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 06:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Mississauga , Ontario
I believe the standard colour for that vintage trailer would have been “blue fancy”, which is a striped awning fabric. That is what mine is and it is always hotter sitting under the awning on a sunny day than sitting in the shade of a tree. I use mine mostly to sit outside when it is raining.

TAC ON-3
BigAl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2023, 03:31 PM   #10
Rivet Puller

2003 28' Safari S/O
Atlanta Burbs , Georgia
Just an FYI, the awning is sewn with a bonded polyester thread, SunGuard, that has been treated chemically with an UV inhibitor. It lasts much longer than the more elastic nylon thread typically used for upholstery applications. As noted in prior posts, the threads do age faster that the woven fabric so the panel sections will need to be re-sewn at some point. A similar thread to SunGuard (V69 UV Poly) is used to sew marine sails and boat covers should you ask a local business to repair a section.

Sir Tristan
Air #48582, S/SO #003, WBCCI #4584
SeeMore is offline   Reply With Quote