Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-20-2019, 12:06 PM   #21
Rivet Master

2007 Interstate
League City , Texas
I don't have one of these cursed awnings - thank goodness - so I have not kept up with the details of how this auto-deployment situation is developing.

Here's an interesting plot twist, though - Fiamma F45 and F65 awnings, which are known to extend unpredictably, are being recalled *BY PLEASURE WAY*.

Why not by Fiamma right from the get-go?? The piece linked above notes that Fiamma will supposedly come up with a permanent fix of some kind, but what happened to the old "you have to go through the individual manufacturers" lines of bull that the RV builders always issue? Is every individual RV manufacturer that installed these cursed things now going to do separate recalls?

What a mess. But at least now someone is publicly admitting that this is A Thing.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 12:16 PM   #22
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Grand Tour
Lake Oswego , Oregon
I had two Fiamma F65 Eagles fail on me. I recently had my AS dealer install a Carefree MANUAL awning.

Problem solved. No more straps to hold in a disaster waiting to happen.
Tronadora is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 01:26 PM   #23
Just an old timer...

2004 22' Interstate
Tipton , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronadora View Post
I had two Fiamma F65 Eagles fail on me. I recently had my AS dealer install a Carefree MANUAL awning.

Problem solved. No more straps to hold in a disaster waiting to happen.
Your satisfaction quotient in RV'ing is in inverse proportion to the number of electric/electronic switches in your RV. The fewer the switches, the happier you'll be!
85MH325 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 02:02 PM   #24
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Indianola , Iowa
Quote:
Originally Posted by 85MH325 View Post
Your satisfaction quotient in RV'ing is in inverse proportion to the number of electric/electronic switches in your RV. The fewer the switches, the happier you'll be!
I wholeheartedly agree!
nateallen80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2019, 03:07 PM   #25
Prof. of Pending Projects

2018 Tommy Bahama Interstate
Orlando , Florida
The one in my AI has been working fine after they fixed the wiring cover...
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0907.jpg
Views:	44
Size:	184.5 KB
ID:	354610   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0908.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	180.1 KB
ID:	354611  

WBCCI #26769
2018 Airstream Interstate 3500 Lounge EXT Tommy Bahama w/ARS
wachuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 01:19 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

2014 Interstate Ext. Coach
Phoenix , Arizona
New AI owner for two months, and just had the joy of a rapid deployment while driving down the road, then a gust of wind sent it over the roof, snapping one of the arms, tearing the awning, denting/scratching the vehicle, and leaving me in a precarious position.
I basically cut it off and disassembled the arms from the vehicle.....and threw it in a dumpster.
Is this a viable insurance claim? It seems this is a known issue (that I did not know until now).
Is there a summarized suggestion blog? It seems there are multiple similar blogs on this topic.

PS. This forum is awesome for newbies like me.
AZDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2020, 07:14 PM   #27
Rivet Master

2013 Interstate Coach
Waterloo , Iowa
I put velcro straps on mine a couple of years ago. I also pulled a power wire from the back of the switch so the motor would not accidently be turned on with the strap in place. Used the awning twice in 6 years and 72,000 miles, so not worth chancing.
Titus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 03:58 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

Lake Oswego , Oregon
Awning deploying by itself

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDrew View Post
New AI owner for two months, and just had the joy of a rapid deployment while driving down the road, then a gust of wind sent it over the roof, snapping one of the arms, tearing the awning, denting/scratching the vehicle, and leaving me in a precarious position.
I basically cut it off and disassembled the arms from the vehicle.....and threw it in a dumpster.
Is this a viable insurance claim? It seems this is a known issue (that I did not know until now).
Is there a summarized suggestion blog? It seems there are multiple similar blogs on this topic.
Welcome to the white knuckle club. I'm pretty sure that gust of wind you and I experienced was in fact the awning becoming like a sail as it flipped up and over. Terrifying at 65mph.

As I reported in my post here December 2018, yes, this event is honored as a viable insurance claim. Covered our hotel too.

Then the new awning started showing early signs of failure and we got our money back and replaced with a Carefree MANUAL crank awning. Switching mfrs turned out to be difficult for the AS dealer because they had to remove my cabinets to get at the old mounting bolts and install the new ones in a different configuration.
Old 09-01-2020, 05:34 AM   #29
"Cloudsplitter"

2003 25' Classic
Houstatlantavegas , Malebolgia
Quote:
Originally Posted by AirstreamInc View Post
Hi wachuko,*

We are sorry to see that this is happening. Please send us a direct message with your contact information and the last 6 digits of your VIN so we can help you get this resolved.

Thank you.*
POI...there were 5 total at JC last week getting the hi-tek awning 'fixed'.
One full-timing couple was on the terraport for 3wks waiting for an unscheduled repair. They finally got it done the day we left. Said it was explained as a wiring problem.🤔
Electric needs wiring...da.

Bob
🇺🇸
Old 09-01-2020, 07:45 AM   #30
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Traverse City , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Titus View Post
I put velcro straps on mine a couple of years ago. I also pulled a power wire from the back of the switch so the motor would not accidently be turned on with the strap in place. Used the awning twice in 6 years and 72,000 miles, so not worth chancing.
So I was looking over my 2016 AI and did not see anywhere I could put a strap around the awning. The awning has virtually no clearance between the roof of the van to slide a strap under. A difference on mine to others posted, my wire (relatively small) loom comes out of the roof and into the awning with no noticeable bulge where wires would connect or disconnect (some have shrink wrapped that).
Heckler56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2020, 10:58 AM   #31
1 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tronadora View Post
Welcome to the white knuckle club. I'm pretty sure that gust of wind you and I experienced was in fact the awning becoming like a sail as it flipped up and over. Terrifying at 65mph.

As I reported in my post here December 2018, yes, this event is honored as a viable insurance claim. Covered our hotel too.

Then the new awning started showing early signs of failure and we got our money back and replaced with a Carefree MANUAL crank awning. Switching mfrs turned out to be difficult for the AS dealer because they had to remove my cabinets to get at the old mounting bolts and install the new ones in a different configuration.
I feel like I might’ve had a mechanical and electrical failure. Based off of some previous posts I’ve read and what I heard while driving it sounded like something gave way mechanically and it released. It’s hard to know the root cause. We had rain the night before. The awning was not left out, but it definitely got wet. We’ve used it probably 10-12 times in the past 2 months.

While I was on the roof (in a rage) cutting the thing off the motor started running while there was no awning attached.
I’m not sure if this is an electrical issue, or it was caused by me releasing all the tension after cutting the awning away.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:06 PM   #32
Rivet Master

2024 Interstate 19
Fulton , Maryland
One of the Admins has been moving the awning discussions from Airstream Forums > Airstream Knowledgebase > Airstream Motorhome Forums > Sprinter and B-van Forum

. . .to this obscure subforum:
Airstream Forums > Airstream Restoration, Repair & Parts Forums > Exterior Restoration Forum > Awnings

Please stop doing this as these awning threads have NOTHING to do with Exterior Restoration and will get lost to other Interstate and B-van owners.
Previous: 2013 Airstream Interstate 3500 Ext Lounge
Boxster1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2020, 06:09 AM   #33
4 Rivet Member

Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDrew View Post
I feel like I might’ve had a mechanical and electrical failure. Based off of some previous posts I’ve read and what I heard while driving it sounded like something gave way mechanically and it released. It’s hard to know the root cause. We had rain the night before. The awning was not left out, but it definitely got wet. We’ve used it probably 10-12 times in the past 2 months.

While I was on the roof (in a rage) cutting the thing off the motor started running while there was no awning attached.
I’m not sure if this is an electrical issue, or it was caused by me releasing all the tension after cutting the awning away.

You are correct; this arrangement is a combination of mechanical and electrical. Once the awning is retracted there is a limit switch that closes to shut off the motor (word to the wise, this switch has a flimsy metal actuator arm that can get bent out of adjustment). As you disassembled things, that switch opened causing your motor to start spinning. The gearbox is supposed to hold the awning from shooting out at high speed. During deployment, the gearbox turns and allows the spring tension to drive the awning out. Motorizing the awning back in is when the motor is having to work to fight the spring tension.
I believe there is also a pawl that engages upon full retract to help hold the awning in, but I cannot be certain from my foggy memory and I'm a few thousand miles away from my AI this year.
Old 09-02-2020, 06:14 AM   #34
4 Rivet Member

Lake Oswego , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heckler56 View Post
So I was looking over my 2016 AI and did not see anywhere I could put a strap around the awning. The awning has virtually no clearance between the roof of the van to slide a strap under. A difference on mine to others posted, my wire (relatively small) loom comes out of the roof and into the awning with no noticeable bulge where wires would connect or disconnect (some have shrink wrapped that).
If your awning is Carefree, relax and live Care Free as I have not heard of anyone having an issue with those. For those that have a Fiamma F65 Eagle, please do not travel without securing your awning... EVER !!!

This is an old pic of my temporary restraint system after my awning failed. Later I got 24 inch velcro cinch straps (w/ metal buckle !!) to replace this Band Joes. The cinch straps can be also be threaded in the rear to fasten that end. Find your straps at https://www.computercablestore.com/24-x-1-12-inch-heavy-duty-black-cinch-strap-5-pack

You will need a ladder to reach the rear end; if you have none, at least secure the front end. You will need to be limber to attach in the front without a ladder; open the passenger door and stand inside the vehicle having one hand on the handle above the passenger seat.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Fiamma Band Joes.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	126.8 KB
ID:	377468  
Old 09-02-2020, 04:22 PM   #35
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
2016 Interstate Grand Tour Ext
Traverse City , Michigan
Mine is a Fiamma. Airstream (or maybe former owner) laid a bead of caulk along the contact between the roof and awning. The only points open to run straps around are the end caps but that would not wrap it around the actual awning.
Heckler56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2020, 07:13 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

2015 Interstate Ext. Coach
Columbus , Ohio
On our 15 lounge there is room on the front of the Fiamma awning to wrap a strap around to hold it closed.

I use a door step to make it easier to reach the front of the awning safely. There are several available, this is the one I use.

https://www.amazon.com/Rightline-Gea...aps,190&sr=8-1
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	fullsizeoutput_cb6.jpg
Views:	26
Size:	141.8 KB
ID:	377568   Click image for larger version

Name:	fullsizeoutput_ccd.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	342.3 KB
ID:	377573  

Name:	fullsizeoutput_ccc.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	253.1 KB
ID:	377574  
Old 09-13-2020, 10:25 PM   #37
1 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Arizona
As much as I hate the idea of having to climb on the roof again, I'll likely be buying this step in the near future. Thanks for the info Rig Rat.

Mine was a Fiamma. I'm not sure what it's replacement will be yet......but it'll be getting strapped.
Old 09-14-2020, 09:40 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Heh, I strap our manually operated awnings on our trailer as part of the departure checklist.

Not that I’m paranoid or anything like that. Just don’t like nasty surprises while under way on the highway. Deployment of a big sail at highway speeds is not my idea of fun.
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:33 AM   #39
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
I am not well versed in the problem with the newer auto-retracting, legless awnings, but a couple of years ago I posted a write-up of a fix of the Eagle F65 with some thoughts on why that one auto deployed. Here is a link if you are interested - all these auto deployments could be the same problem:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f24...up-197983.html
jgeurin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2021, 07:35 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2013 Interstate Coach
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Oh . . . and mine is still working perfectly . . . hmm, maybe it was that one little extra screw I put into the plastic housing to keep the switch in better alignment.
jgeurin is offline   Reply With Quote